Winter Breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this "do it yourself" project online:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/srh/tips.html

I think I might put one together, put it into a pen, and then use a thermometer to keep a reading on what the temp would be in the box. Has anyone ever tried a warmer like this one? I'm just curious how toasty it keeps the little ones.

I mated my one Holland doe Clover this morning, so I gave myself less than 31 days to find a solution. :) Hey, pressure is the way to get things done, right? Wouldn't you know that the breed of rabbit that I have several people asking for at this point is the one I've had zero success with. I'm feeling guilty because they keep waiting for their bunnies and I keep coming back with more bad news. Poor Chloe kept looking in her box this morning and around her pen for her babies. It was SOOO SAD! :cry1:

My barn is insulated but not heated and I breed all winter. I use a 60 watt light bulb in a metal shaded light fixture normally used for heat lamps and my kits stay nice and warm without overheating. I suspend the fixture so that is warms two nestboxes at a time located towards the back of the boxes so they can move to the front of the box if they get too warm.

Roger

Your experience sounds very familiar to that of my own with Netherland Dwarfs. I just purchased the metal nest warmers that are mentioned in an earlier note, but put them under the nest box. The bottom of the nestbox has wire, with a thin piece of cardboard and then the wood shavings and straw. A part of the metal warmer sticks out past the nestbox and the doe sometimes sits on that. I had had about 5 bad litters - most of which were first time mothers. Two had stuck babies, and the other three used the nestbox, but the kits seemed to die from the cold. The mothers did not pick enough fur to keep them warm. I have had two litters since going with the nestbox warmers and they have both survived, with litters of 5 and 2. I am told that I should not have needed a warmer since my barn is kept at about 58 degrees F. From what I have seen, the warmers seem to help. (The warmers came from a rabbitequipment supplier.)

I have also heard that some people use a small lightbulb (20 or 40 watt?) encased in a wood frame that is put in the tray underneath the wire cage. The wood frame is 3 inches high and sits in the tray, open upward toward the nest box. Aluminum foil can be used to reflect heat upward, too. I have heard that this can get a little warm if the weather warms up, though. Good luck.

I found the metal one you mentioned (or something similar) at this site: http://www.bassequipment.com/Miscellaneous/Nesting+Equipment/default.aspx

The other one that I looked at used 15 watt bulbs and was similar to the one you mentioned. I thought I'd try that since my husband has a woodshop and we have the equipment to build this one just laying around. This is my project for this week. I'm going to set it up and then put a thermometer in the box and keep an eye on the temp changes. If it works well, I'm going to use it with my next litter of Hollands on the 25th of January.

It seems like these dwarf breeds are so much touchier than any others when it comes to cold. I have raised numerous mini lop and lionhead litters in the bitter cold and only lost kits that left the nest box.

Well, I got the supplies from Lowe's today...so I'm well on my way. I think the tricky part for me might be getting it to fit within my tray as I'm not sure it is deep enough. I also had a rough time finding a 15 watt bulb that wasn't one of those new energy efficient ones. Yes, they're good for the light bill, but they don't throw off any heat to warm bunny butts. :biggrin2:

I don't think I'll have problems with the wiring/electrical. My dad was a plumbing/heating and electrical contractor prior to retirement. He has taught my husband enough of the basics of wiring that he wired our addition on our house, as well as our garage and his wood shop. Plus, if he has problems my dad is actually my neighbor and he's totally into my "bunny project" as he likes to call it.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm planning to set it up and run it with a thermometer inside the nestbox. This way I can track the changes in temperature to see just how warm and toasty it really gets. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will do the trick and I'll turn the corner on my bad luck in the Holland lop breeding.

Well, it's been below zero here in the PA the last two days. I had my nestbox heater in an empty nest that I put straw and hair in. The heater had the temp near 70 and 80 in there when it was below zero outside. Yay!

I will be expecting my first litter of Hollands that I can try out with the nestbox within the next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the toasty nestbox will mean all the difference.

Can't wait to hear how you make out! Really hope it works for you!

It was 7 degrees out this morning when I checked on my little Holland Clover. She was a round little girl yesterday as she was on the last day of her pregnancy. I am happy to report that she had 7 squirming, warm little babies in the nest box this morning! :) I was always partial to the number seven, so it's definitely proving to be lucky so far (knock on wood).

I didn't spend too much time checking them out, but there are definitely some that are dark like her (she's a blue steel and dad is a tort) and some that are light in color. I can't wait to see how they develop. :) Cross your fingers her nestbox warmer keeps them all snuggly and safe until they can grow some hair.

Yay! Tiny little babies!

Yay congrats! I hope this babies stay healthy for you! Post pics soon!

Thanks everyone. :) I'll be sure to get you all pics when they start looking less like mice and more like cute little buns. :biggrin2: I'm also trying to leave them in their toasty nest right now as much as possible, so I'll wait a bit to disturb them for pics.

Thanks for the support and keep them in your thoughts. I'm crossing my fingers that they all make it this time.

I actually have a Lionhead doe named Seven. :) It sounds cheesy but she's one of only two bunnies I allowed my husband to name. She's a sable point who was entered into the fair by the breeder and was assigned the number 7, which she still had written in her ear when we picked her up a week after that. I tried several other names, but Tim kept calling her Seven. So, eventually I gave in...Seven it is. :)

Should I add that the other bunny he named is a broken black and white Lionhead with black eyes...he named it Knock Out. Yes, I know, I really need to stop allowing him to name any of the buns. :D

murph72 wrote:
I actually have a Lionhead doe named Seven. :) It sounds cheesy but she's one of only two bunnies I allowed my husband to name. She's a sable point who was entered into the fair by the breeder and was assigned the number 7, which she still had written in her ear when we picked her up a week after that. I tried several other names, but Tim kept calling her Seven. So, eventually I gave in...Seven it is. :)

Should I add that the other bunny he named is a broken black and white Lionhead with black eyes...he named it Knock Out. Yes, I know, I really need to stop allowing him to name any of the buns. :D
he'll probably name your seven babies: Dopey, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful etc...

Hi-ho, Hi-ho...:biggrin2:

murph72 wrote:

I'm happy to hear about your litter hope they survive.

P.S. I want lionhead pictures.

Paul,

Here's my cheater's way of sending you pics. :D This is the page I have for them on my website: http://murphyslionsandlops.com/Lionheads.aspx

I think I have all of them on there. I know I added a mini lop buck and two chocolate Hollands since the last time I updated, but I think the lionheads are all there.

If you go on the Hollands page, the mom is Clover and the dad is Reuben. It's funny because they're my two who always have ear control when I want to take a picture, but always hold their ears down otherwise. I'm wondering if that will be a genetic trait of the seven offspring. I guess we'll wait and see. :)

Dyan

Must take a look at your site. I can just see the little ones with those cutsie ears - hi-ho, hi-ho - sorry can't help it. the image 's stuck now:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back