Wilmington, DE - rabbit-friendly rentals?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castronv

Reaction score
There is a possibility to move from Brazil to US to work in Wilmington, DE. So, I have been looking for some places to live, but I'm very disappointed due to the difficulty to find a place that accepts bunnies.

Does someone know if there is local law or restriction about exotic animals? What is the problem when compared to a cat/dog?

I'm in Michigan, but from my experience here, it's a combination of (1) lessors wanting to limit real or perceived damage from "exotic" pets (people can have some pretty weird animals as pets, and not everyone's a responsible pet caretaker), and (2) making exceptions for majorities (dog & cat owners) who bring in revenues (and where not making such an exception would damage their business relative to peer businesses, who likely allow dogs & cats for the same reason).

Hi @castronv,

The larger buildings and housing developments will have firm rules and regulations about pets but a lot of housing - sometimes even the majority of housing - is advertised less formally via social media, like local Facebook groups, or especially Craigslist. Those places are often rented by the owner and are less likely to have strict rules about pets.

If you join a local Facebook group you can post that you're exploring housing options and see what you learn.

Be very careful about Craigslist though because it attracts a lot of scammers. Never give out your personal contact information or anything else to anyone on Craigslist who you haven't met in person.

Thank you for your clarification. Probably, I'll try to find place to negotiate "rabbit in caged", once I realized that I lot of people think the rabbit will chew everything...

I just rented 2 places for 2 months each next summer through Airbnb and although they are not listed as pet-friendly they had no problem with our bunny. I let them know he is litter-trained, is restricted to one area during the day and sleeps in a hutch at night. Only one place where I inquired said no and the others were very welcoming. It may be because he is a dwarf and can't jump very high or chew large holes but I think letting them know the details really helped.

Back