Willow and her Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSAR

Reaction score
Willow usually eats her pellets right away when she gets them. She only get pellets in the morning because of her diet. Well just last week my sister and I started noticing that she would eat half of her pellets and then save the rest for later. Well now she is barely even touching her pellets at all. This past weekend it was really really hot. It went from the 60's to suddenly the 90s. None of the bunnies ate their pellets when it was that hot out.

Now all of the bunnies are eating their pellets again except Willow. She eats her hay and treats but not her pellets. I was thinking maybe she just didn't like pellets any more. The pellets couldn't be bad because it is a realtively new bag of pellets

I am starting to get worried as to why she is only eating a little of her pellets.

have you got some kale and herbs?? i always find if mine do this that its anything green they go for first and once they are eating them they will go back onto rtheir pellets.

let us know how she goes :)

ps Opi did this to me when he went through his last moult wouldnt eat much for a week or so but kept eating the hay and veg!

try doctoring the pellets. maybe some oats? or little chunks of fave fruit(s)? or you could put treats in them? hope she starts eating her pellets like a good girl soon!

She may just have gone off pellets, sometimes different bags of the same food will taste different because of weather conditions affecting crops etc. As long as she is eating enough hay and veggies it shouldn't be a problem, however, not eating much can be an indication that there are dental problems.

I've never thought of that Michaela, and that sounds like what might be happening. Willow is eating everything else, but she doesn't touch her pellets alot. She'll maybe take a few nibbles daily and then leave the rest to sit in her bowl. She's eating hay, veggies, grass and dandelions and her pooh looks normal.

Emily

Michaela wrote:
She may just have gone off pellets, sometimes different bags of the same food will taste different because of weather conditions affecting crops etc. As long as she is eating enough hay and veggies it shouldn't be a problem, however, not eating much can be an indication that there are dental problems.
I could be wrong, but I had thought that if therer are dental issues they will stop eating hay first.

gentle giants wrote:
I could be wrong, but I had thought that if therer are dental issues they will stop eating hay first.
Oh maybe, I thought it was just less interest in all foods, which is why I mentioned as long as Willow is eating hay and veg there most likely is no problem. :)

Yeah I was thinking she may have just gone off her pellets because she doesn't get many anyway (only 1/8 r 1/4 can't remember) of pellets once a day. It could also be the weather. I am trying to think how much pellets she ate last summer. I don't think she ate many then either.

I could be due to the change in temp. Zamboni got really picky with his food when the Portland area hit in the high 90's. Since he was only eating about half of his pellets I added oats to his pellets; he just picked out the oats.lol I upped his fresh veggies and cut the pellets for about 4 days. Now that the temps have gone back to the 80's he is eating more pellets and less veggies. Silly rabbits can be so picky sometimes!

Yeah! When I went to feed the bunnies today I took Willow's pellets away. Yesterday she got oats in them and picked them out. I will give her more greens for a few days and then re-introduce the pellets back in and see what she does.

This morning when I fed the bunnies, I gave Willow some pellets with oats in them. She still had the amount of food she's supposed to get (and I measured it afterwards, yay me on measuring it correctly!) and she picked out the oats and ate some of the pellets.

Emily

I took Willow's pellets away for about two days and gave her a treat ball with some in it. She was eating them out of that like she really wanted them. But then yesterdaywhen I gave her pelletsshe didn't eat them.

I am thinking that she just doesn't like them that much to eat them all the time. Just occaisonally as treats. When she had the pellets away I was giving her some grass along with her hay which she was eating that fine.

Edit: I was just thinking, cuz we give Willow her pellets in the morning, maybe I could give her her pellets in the afternoon and she was she does. I will try that today.

Latest posts

Back