Will they freeze?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the first one, if she's an animal lover, why not keep them in the house where they can be loved, rather than forgotten about in the garage?

For the second one - if anyone posts a wanted ad for free critters, especially something like rabbits, it makes me think that it's for snake food.... :( I've heard of people that get free cats and small dogs off of there and feed them to their snakes! ;-;

Did you respond to the first one? I've been combing craigslist for any bunny questions or people giving away free bunnies--the response I get is usually quite good. I got someone to require in future posts that though they will give the rabbit away for free, they will be doing a home visit.

Thanks tonyshuman. Thanks Konotashi. For all you do to reply to the craiglist ads.

No, I did not respond. My time is short with the other responsibilities I have (in addition to surrender Q's that land in my inbox every month). I get frustrated with mankind ~

I hope members on RO who have a minute or so (and can gently respond in a positive manner) will make a difference for all the cheap, unwanted, $5 to $10 no-wanted rabbits. There was another craiglist ad that made me shudder.

* I shut off the screen and go hug our crew!!

Good for you gals for combing craigslist. :highfive:

Yes, buns are easy to keep in the house, and those FurrMutts can give you warmth, companionship, and late-nite kisses that way. Kelly & Will, krs, myheart, angieluv, naturestee, slavetoabunny, Liz, JadeIcing, Pipp, Haley, RebeccaLuvrOfWabbitsAndPolarBears, where are you...:bunnieskiss

You would be surprised at the questions people email me at OREO (Ontario Rabbit Education Organization)...
To be honest when we got our first rabbit we were planning to put her outside too...we knew "some" people kept rabbits indoors but as far as we knew it only a very few people. My dad had rabbits as a kid and kept them outdoors...so thats what we thought we had to do!

We did our research and after having our bunn girl in the house with us there was no way we would have housedany rabbitoutside...this was one of the reasons hubby and I got involved with OREO. So many people have questions and with no resources or research they fall back on the way rabbits have been housed and treated in the past!

People are still stunned to hear that bunns can be littertrained. Instead ofbeing a fact it is still regarded as a myth by some or at best atrick you can teach your bunny. It gets frustrating sometimes!:grumpy:

Danielle

Salem was already litter trained when I got him, for the most part. I put the litter box in his cage, stuck him in it, and he's used it ever since! Every now and then, he has an accident, but it's not often.

Same with my ferret, but I didn't even show him the litter box. I was expecting to have to clean up after him for a while. Nope. Not once. I think it's pretty funny to see the look on people's faces when I tell them that I feed him raw meat and no kibble. First thing they always ask - "Is that safe?!"

For the first one, I emailed her too and she said she already moved the bunnies into a spare bedroom. I suggested she buy the pine pellet bedding and she did do that (then emailed to tell me it was on sale if I wanted more). I think the bunnies are going to be just fine :)

Adding flooring to the cage bottom as well as providing nesting boxes is fine for rabbits during the winter.

Direct contact with metal is not advised as I have heard of cases of rabbits getting feet, ears, or testicles wet from water dishes,freezing the rabbitto the metal cage bottom.

Pam

Thank you RO, for replying and giving her sound, helpful advice. Good to know she's switched the kids to indoor living.

Plenty of predators, ticks, fleas, raccoons, foxes, maybe occasional mice and feral carnivores, we see in our area - and prankster humans. I wouldn't want the rabbits to be in harm's way.

--------------------------

Now, SRR received pictures of rehome needy girls, 2 unspayed; Lucy and Mimzy, both lops. Both needing to be rehomed.

I am going to email the support-person/caretaker about the corn cob pictured in the background... are the girls eating dried corn, right off the cob?!?? :shock:
Good or bad for rabbits?

I was taught, bad food item. Major bad.
------------------------------------

RO Family ~ Thanks for reaching out to teach humans & help them give rabbits a better life (safe, happy, healthy) environment!

:hearts

Runestonez wrote:
You would be surprised at the questions people email me at OREO (Ontario Rabbit Education Organization)...
To be honest when we got our first rabbit we were planning to put her outside too...we knew "some" people kept rabbits indoors but as far as we knew it only a very few people. My dad had rabbits as a kid and kept them outdoors...so thats what we thought we had to do!

We did our research and after having our bunn girl in the house with us there was no way we would have housedany rabbitoutside...this was one of the reasons hubby and I got involved with OREO. So many people have questions and with no resources or research they fall back on the way rabbits have been housed and treated in the past!

People are still stunned to hear that bunns can be littertrained. Instead ofbeing a fact it is still regarded as a myth by some or at best atrick you can teach your bunny. It gets frustrating sometimes!:grumpy:

Danielle
:yeahthat:

Good job. Well said.

Corn in moderation is fine. It is one of the few grain sources of vitamin A, a source of protein, and a good source of energy (especially important for rabbits kept outdoors in the winter) and in production animals. Corn is included in many rabbit feeds and puts a nice finish on show rabbits due to the fat content. We used a rabbit feed containing corn for about 15 years, and had no more incidences of "tummy troubles" than when using a corn-free feed.

While too much of a good thing is bad, don't discount the usefulness of moderate amounts of corn in the diet.

Pam

Was that actual corn kernels? I think ground corn in the pellets could be fine, especially for bunnies that need to keep themselves warm. The whole dried kernels, though, is what I've heard bad things about--that they don't pass through the digestive tract well.

Back