Will they breed??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winandpenny

Reaction score
I just added a new addition to my bunny batch! I got Windsor "Win" (Full rex buck) about three weeks ago and a little over a week ago added Penny (Unknown breed doe, although she's built smaller.). They hit it off GREAT and love each other endlessly. I've had no problems with them. They follow each other around, cuddle and groom each other incessantly.
My only question is will they breed this young? Windsor is 9 weeks and Penny is about 7. I know the risks of a rabbit that gets pregnant too young but I don't want to have them fixed, as I want them to breed later. But I can't separate them either, they get too depressed!
Do I have anything to worry about?

*WinandPenny*

They probably won't be able to breed right now. However, a female can get pregnant as early as 12 weeks. Some males are able to breed at 10 weeks. This is more rare, but still possible. I would separate them before they are 3 months old.
You really can't keep intact rabbits of the opposite sex together once they are mature. The female can get pregnant right after giving birth. This can be dangerous to her and both litters. A male could be a danger to the kits. You will need to separate them eventually.

I would also caution you against breeding Penny if she is smaller than Windsor. The kits can be too big for her to pass if he is much bigger than she is. Usually, the female is bigger than the male when it comes to breeding.

Breeding mixed rabbits is also not a good idea. It can be difficult to find homes for purebred rabbits and mixed ones can be almost impossible. Unless you have lots of people lined up wanting these rabbits, you might be stuck with the kits.

Breeding rabbits is not something you should enter into lightly. It takes time, commitment, money and you need to do research on it. You will need a cage for each adult, plus several for the kits as they are weaned. The feed costs can add up quickly. You also have to deal with the death of kits and the adults.

Thanks for the reply!
I've done a ton of research on Rabbits, breeding, bonding, owning, weaning, growing and training rabbits because I've wanted one since I was 8 :D
I have a large family and all 13 are willing to adopt a kit :D
Thanks again for the information!

If your female is breed unknown then I presume that you don't know anything about her mum and dad, let alone her grandparents. If so, that makes her totally unsuitable for breeding from. If you've read up on breeding I'm sure you have read about the various genetic problems that can be passed between rabbits - heart problems, teeth problems etc. without a history you've know way of telling what genetic issues she carries that may pass on to the kits. Will your family be so keen to adopt if the rabbits will need expensive dental work every 6 weeks?

I think you need to go back over your breeding research - perhaps check how reliable your sources are. No responsible breeder would advocate breeding the two rabbits you describe together.

You should also consider the risk to your rabbit. Pregnancy is not risk free. How will you feel if your pet rabbit dies during breeding? Can you cope with/have time for handrearing? Can you afford the vet bills for a caesarian sections? How will you feel if she kills (and partially eats) the babies? - not uncommon in inexperienced mothers.

If you still want to go ahead with breeding then I suggest you get in touch with a responsible breeder or two that can give you full histories (several generations) on their rabbits and will help you select two that are suitable to breed from.

I think you'll also find that being willing to 'adopt' a cute little baby bunny in theory is not that same as having the financial, time and space resources to commit to a rabbit for ten years in practice.

Everyone else has made some great points. Here's a few more things to consider:
  • When they are old enough to cause a pregnancy, they are still so young that it might be hard on the girl. And they sometimes reach puberty earlier than you think! I've heard of girls giving birth at 3 months.
  • If they are still together when she gives birth, the boy will almost assuredly impregnate her again within 24 hours. Nursing and being pregnant at the same time is VERY hard on the mom, not to mention having to wean the first litter at 4 weeks (too early) and having way too many babies.
  • Once he hits puberty, the intact male will most likely want to mate a LOT. The girl might get stressed out or might lash out at him.
If you want to breed, find an experienced, responsible breeder to mentor you.

Latest posts

Back