Will something happen if rabbit groomed themselves after being lightly bathed with a rabbit shampoo?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my bunny to the vet today because because she was due a vaccine. She hates the vet and she's been mad at me the entire day. She was so mad she decided to pee on my bed. When she did that she got pee on her foot, her bottom and her tail. I got some warm water got some of it on a small cloth and I put a tiny bit of Beaphar Guinea Pig and Rabbit Shampoo onto it then rubbed together and got some more water. I rubbed the urine off and I used another side to wash her again a bit and get some of the shampoo off. She got very mad at me bit me and ran to her enclosure where she hid and started to groom herself. I lured her out shortly with a snack, got some more clean water and washed her bottom again then dried with a towel.

I used a tiny amount of the shampoo it was mainly water, it didn't even foam and I couldn't smell it on her either but I am worried because I'm not sure how much I got off and where she groomed herself. Is it something to worry about or should she be ok?

Please dont bath your rabbit.
That was totally unnecessary. A healthy rabbit can groom themselves and groom off any mess theyve made.
Just throw the bottle out please.
To clear things up I did not bathe her. I wouldn't do that unless there was no other choice. I lightly washed it off with a wet cloth because she got herself very messy and was getting pee everywhere. I usually use baby wipes or cornstarch but we didn't have any. Her fur was barely wet and she wasn't scared she was upset after the vet visit and was just offended that I dared to touch her while she was still upset with me. 😅

I would stick to plain water. Cosmetic considerations are a non issue unless it's about showing rabbits, then corn starch would be my pick.

And, nope, I don't trust things advertised for rabbits, like "healthy rabbit muesli" containing whole kernels of corn. Selling chemicals, with no oversight and restrictions, , well, no I do not trust advertisement. Especially when plain lukewarm water does the job anyway.

Designed for rabbits, and sold for rabbits are two very different things, one of them is just about making money.

I can relate. Our special needs girl who does not have use of her hind legs receives warm water by the sink or laundry tub that cleanses out the stuck cecotropes. I firmly hold her while the faucet rinses off the soiled fur areas. Then she is dried with a soft hand towel. She is never fully immersed nor any shampoo-type products applied. She often applies kisses.

This is my soulmate avatar girl who incurred suspected fx'd legs and spine injury by a DVM I will NEVER return to. She was a PTSD bun, who likely kicked or freaked out during her spay, or something else happened that the DVM never mentioned. She would only receive rinses to prevent urine scald or cleanse away the stuck cecos. / FYI, I treasured our bonding moments. She lived with us for many years. Averting a euthanization call at the local shelter for ringworm -- which she did not have.

Attachments

• KarlaTablePosesJan16RS.jpg
    KarlaTablePosesJan16RS.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • KarlaTablePosesBackendJan16.jpg
    KarlaTablePosesBackendJan16.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is your young or adult bun spayed? I well know that even sp/eutered buns can nip or bite to communicate. How else can they say "put me down" or "I don't like what's going on."

Our two year-old had his RHVD2 booster dose this past week. He sailed thru fine. No reactions or bunny disapproval. Our nearly 6 yr. old n/Flemish Giant does NOT like to be picked up and get metacam. He will bite and nip to voice his disapproval. Pretty **** quickly! "Put ME down, pronto."

I am mindful now of JBun or BlueEyes saying rabbits tend to urinate on soft surfaces. Thanks for those notes!!

Rabbits and their various ways of expressing dislike! ~ I hope your bun has forgiven you for the vet trip & vax

Latest posts

Back