Will rabbits stop getting along?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linzy

Reaction score
I recently got 2 bunnies at the pet store. They are about 2.5-3mo male and female & not yet altered. The main reason we got them both is because they were already bonded. We have had them caged together for here for about 5 days and till today they seemed to be great together. They play, cuddle, binky around the floor, chase each other and sleep together. Today I got them a lot of new toys and treats for play time and while in the play area tonight he began chasing , mounting and humping her (her face the most, side, backside) and she does not seem happy about it but has yet to make a noise of pain. I've seen her fur pulled out and when they begin to chase each other into circles and seem to lath on to each other I separate them for fear they crossed the line from play fight to fight fight. After separation and reintroduction he will stop going after her for a while bit seems to want to try again. Also since that encounter the don't seem as cuddly with one another even when he's not chasing her. When she does try to lay by him he seems to take that as a sign of her wanting it. My vet will only spay and only do it after 6 months. My question is are they fighting, mating or figuring out who will be the boss and when do I stop them from doing this ? Is this a phase? Will this behavior go away once he's fixed? Should I keep them apart till then? I'm not concerned about her getting pregnant but I thought she was too young. I'm more concerned for their safety and want them to be BFFs again. Any insight is really appreciated!!!!!

the pet store is clueless or lying, heh. both bunns have to be fixed to be truly considered bonded - it doesn't really count when they're babies, as babies bond to anyone right off the bat.

your male is reaching sexual maturity - it's no longer safe to keep them together until they're BOTH fixed and have had time for the hormones to completely dissipate (takes up to 6-8 weeks for males/4 weeks for females). even if you get the boy neutered, he can still be fertile for the next 6-8 weeks and she'll be reaching sexual maturity in the next month or so, so trying to put them back together until she can be spayed could result in a pregnancy.

I find it odd that your vet will spay but not neuter - neutering is a much simpler and less invasive process. you might want to look into finding another vet. here's our library of rabbit-savvy vets - http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=9

Babies usually do not get along once hormones kick in. There are some, but it seems to be more that they tolerate each other than that they are really bonded and loving. Babies go through a lot of changes as they reach adulthood and they don't usually get along during that time. Then you have issues with hormones as adults which means that many intact rabbits can't be bonded.

If you have a male and a female, they need to be separated and kept separate. Rabbits can reproduce at an early age, so even at 4 months they can be mating. My Amelia was left with some males a bit too long and had a litter when she was around 4-5 months old, so breeding can definitely happen at a young age.

If you want to bond them and have them live together, both should be neutered. Males can usually be done after the testicles drop, but some vets want to wait until they are a bit more mature and bigger, so will do it after about 5 months. Females can usually be done around 5-6 months. I know there are a few rescues in Florida that should be able to help you find a good vet and can help with the cost if needed.

Also keep in mind that even when spayed and neutered, some rabbits just don't get along. Bonding might not work in all cases, so it is good to be prepared to have 2 separate rabbits.

I agree with Kate and Jennifer. Baby buns aren't really "bonded" per se because babies get along with any bun despite age, sex or size.

This is not a big mystery as to what is going on. They are approaching sexual maturity so hormones are starting to drive what they do.

You are also at risk for a pregnancy. Yes, they are still a bit young but it COULD happen very soon.

Also, the male mounting the females face can be dangerous as well. The female can actually bite off the males penis (yikes) causing permanent and very detrimental injuries to the male.

If I were you I would seperate and house them in different cages starting now. Keep them able to see/smell each other but don't let them get at each other. Not on due to the risks already listed, but if you want the best chance possible that they will bond after being altered, don't let any more fights happen now. Anyway, seperate and fix them both. Then reintroduce after healing. If your current vet won't neuter, then find a new vet. I'm confident that Clearwater is a big enough area where you can find a vet to do both. Besides, it won't work to have a spayed female bond with an unneutered male. All he will do is mount her constantly and more fighting will no doubt occur.

Best of luck to you, sorry you got some bad info from the pet store. I have a bonded pair of my own so I know how important it is for them to get along. Start the process now and although a long road, it can happen.

agnesthelion wrote:
Keep them able to see/smell each other but don't let them get at each other.
to elaborate, something like a divided NIC cage would NOT work - there needs to be at least a few inches of space. not only can they fight through bars, rabbits have been known to MATE through a non-solid divider.

Imbrium wrote:
both bunns have to be fixed to be truly considered bonded

Not exactly true. Murphy is not spayed yet, and she is bonded with Sebi.

But it is much easier to bond fixed rabbits than un-fixed. and even when they are fixed, it will still be difficult to bond them possibly or you may not even be able to.

good luck

I really appreciate the advice! She spent the night alone in the bathroom with all their toys and missed him terribly. They are on a supervised visit now and where his is chasing her and sniffing her butt he hasn't started humping YET. I 'm on stand by for when he tries. They seem to be getting along well but I will be getting her a separate cage today and calling vets Monday to find affordable fixing services. Cheapest I found was my vet for 99 but they only do the 1. Other vets wanted $300-$500 EACH so I hope the local shelter can suggest low cost places because around $100 for both is really all we could afford. I just hope they stay connected and his harassing her stops when they are fixed. When he is behaving she loves to lay with him and they really seem to enjoy each others company and I feel bad when I have to alternate them in the play area when he acts up. I hope rabbits don't have the jealousy emotion :)

Females can be fixed around 4-6 months. My rabbit savvy vet fixed my girl at 5 months. Boys can be fixed as soon as the testicles descend. So usually a bit sooner than females. Females recovery will be a lot longer as a spay is more invasive. My vet charged $110 for spay and $90 for neuter....which from what ive heard is a good price. $300-$500 each is a bit steep but I have heard of prices at $200. If the rescue can't help you, open the phone book and start calling vets.

I hope they can bond for you too. But I think if you do things right won't have a problem. The biggest issue I see is the female developing resentment towards the male if he keeps trying to mount her. Rabbits have a good memory when it comes to "grudges" towards each other and it could taint bonding or delay it for you if the female gets mad at the male.

As far as jealousy, I'm not sure it's that exact as the human emotion of jealousy, but they can experience the feeling of being the winner or the top bun. When bonding two rabbits they encourage that each rabbit get equal free time out so that one rabbit doesn't begin to think hrmowns the place or is the winner lol. Also, females tend to be a bit more territorial so it would be a good idea to switch cages every once in awhile so one doesn't become possessive over a certain cage.

It is a bit tedious but it's worth it in the end. And like I said I think you'll be fine it just be a long road to get there.

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

After calling every vet and shelter I could find I re checked my vet who was wrong about only doing girls. They will fix the boy for 99 but I have yet to find anywhere that will fix her under 250. Even the clinics that only do spay & neutering only do cats and dogs. So for now it looks like all we can do is fix the boy and hope that's enough. They are not liking the separate living arrangements buy get hours of supervised play time together everyday. I think he may be realizing they become separated when he humps her so he isn't trying nearly as often lol

Thank you! I do know I called the 1st listed, the one they recommended and they were one of the highest at 400 for the male. Of course they had to charge a visit fee and blood work fee etc. The spay and neuter clinics web sight said dogs and cats only but seeing this I'll have to try to speak with someone there. Hope to get some cheaper results :)

Latest posts

Back