Will my rabbit get used to being alone? Her partner died recently...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys, almost a week ago we lost our bun Thumper and now our bun Bambi is alone, we are definitely going to get her a companion, but I'm going to have to wait until this lockdown is over, I have been looking out for some rabbits and have found a male spot bunny that we are probably going to re-home, until then will Bambi get used to being alone? I'm worried that she won't warm up to her partner when we get him because she's been alone for so long, thanks in advance!! <3

How long she remains single isn't going to influence her behavior to another rabbit. What will affect her behavior will be the individual personalities of each rabbit. Sometimes 2 rabbits refuse to get along just because.

I see you are in the UK. I believe there are places there (perhaps the place you found her potential companion) that will do the bonding for you. Bonding can be a tricky thing. Sometimes they are a breeze and other times they are very difficult and once in a while, they just aren't going to work.

Hi, how old is she and how long they were bonded? How old was your other rabbit? Why did he die, was it sudden? Sorry for asking I am sorry about your lost just trying to understand your situation a little better.
Is she free-roaming or what is her housing looks like, can you post some pics?

Some tips to prepare her before bringing in another rabbit.
If you can reduce her space for a week or two before new rabbit arrives and prepare new housing for them, clean her smell with vinegar thoroughly change toys etc, so she could take it as new territory, also do bonding in some other neutral for her territory, small place, then you can move them into their old housing but renovated, after bonding process is done successfully and they are fully bonded.

It depends on your rabbit as well how long you should wait, I wouldn't wait too long maybe, just would make changes before new rabbit arrives.

Hi, how old is she and how long they were bonded? How old was your other rabbit? Why did he die, was it sudden? Sorry for asking I am sorry about your lost just trying to understand your situation a little better.
Is she free-roaming or what is her housing looks like, can you post some pics?

hey my bun is 9 months old, she and her partner were bonded since we got them, so for around 6 months, my bunny is currently in an x pen but is usually free roam, the only reason she is in a pen is because for the next month our vet suggested we keep an eye on her whilst she is on medication for e.cuniculi. That's how my other bun died :( he contracted it from his mum, and Bambi and Thumper were siblings so we are medicating her and keeping an eye on her accordingly. His death was extremely sudden, his symptoms escalated within a day and we decided to euthanise him, it has been around a week since then, and she seems to be dealing with it better than I thought she would. hope this helps, xo

I see you are in the UK. I believe there are places there (perhaps the place you found her potential companion) that will do the bonding for you. Bonding can be a tricky thing. Sometimes they are a breeze and other times they are very difficult and once in a while, they just aren't going to work.
Thanks for the suggestion, although that isn't exactly ideal for my situation right now, the UK is under full lockdown and if people are outside other than for exercising we will be fined extensively, so until the lockdown is over this isn't an option, thanks for the suggestion!

Our little buck of six years, Banzaii, passed away the November before last. We were very worried about his partner Biggi and how she would cope.

We couldn't have Banzaii inside as he left a wanton trail of destruction in his wake and was the rabbit version of Houdini when it came to breaking out. He was much more content in the garden and she didn't kick up any fuss.

He died very suddenly from GI stasis as we could not get him to eat enough hay. He was a terror for the pellets and greens and it was tricky to monitor this when feeding the two of them - we were inexperienced at the small but incredibly important stuff and didn't spot the issue until nothing more could be done. Luckily it was over very quickly when he did get a blockage.

It turned out that Biggi got an absolutely new lease of life on her own! She happily lives indoors with us now and way prefers the luxury. I never before saw her flopping and tumbling in delight every evening, and she binkies around the garden when we let her out in the morning. She "helps" me with my gardening (by constantly pooping all over the soil, sometimes digging up all my hard work and occasionally devouring something I worked hard on - I don't mind though!).

I think that I may be her partner now, in a weird way. I know it can't replace another bunny, but we have a cat who loves her very much too. If I'm sitting out the back and briefly go inside, leaving the OH there with her, she'll thump and gallumph around until I come back. She honks and purrs when we cuddle up on the couch and grooms me with tiny licks whenever I stop petting her.

Especially with the lockdowns that are still going on, I would mind Bambi very carefully because she could be going through a rough time and not show obvious signs. It's a risky business introducing another bun and if they don't click, it could be very stressful for her. Just be sure she gets your constant attention and cuddles right now and watch for any changes. I wish you all the best!

Thanks for the suggestion, although that isn't exactly ideal for my situation right now, the UK is under full lockdown and if people are outside other than for exercising we will be fined extensively, so until the lockdown is over this isn't an option, thanks for the suggestion!

It will still be ideal once the lockdown is over. As I said, it isn't any big concern for your bun to wait a while before looking for a new bondmate. You may find that your bun has a positive transformation as a single bun. @Pandorly described such a scenario. I've also had a very shy bun that came out of his shell once his bondmate passed. Just wait and see (since you don't have much other choice right now than to wait anyway).

Latest posts

Back