Will me and my rabbit ever get a connection after this experience?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnysdreams

Reaction score
Hey there! I've been reading a lot about rabbits and how to make them used to me and have heard that if they've had a horrible experience in the past it might not happen. My rabbit Bouncy had a sister called Millie and they were VERY close. We had a cage outside where they had plenty of space to move and a literal room they could walk into if it was too cold. (It used to be a place we stored stuff but we never use it.) Our neighbor has a cat. And we knew something bad could happen so we agreed that I would keep my pets away from their cat and they do the same. It worked out pretty well and we let our rabbits come inside our house once in a while. One day I came home from a friend of mine and my neighbor told me that they had found Millie dead and that he was so sorry as it could have been his cat because there was what seemed to be cat paw prints that went to some ice where they found Millie. So Millie could've been running away then getting to the slippery ice and not being able to escape, and that's what I think happened. And my rabbits escaped a bunch in the summer as they would dig tunnels we had to block off. They wouldn't leave out of the garden and the cat wasn't allowed to go there. (It is cold and still a lot of snow here so we could clearly see paw prints.) I didn't find Bouncy and I thought she most likely was hiding in fear or dead too. I was hanging up missing posters and asking people if they've seen her. It took around a week for me to find her, but some family had been taking care of her since she was hiding somewhere near their house. I got bouncy back but she has never been alone or gotten very used to me because they were outside most of the time. I try to give her to the food she likes, treats, and not to bother her too much but still getting her to see me often. It's been almost 2 weeks and maybe I'm just impatient but I'm getting worried this isn't gonna work out.

You need to have patience took me 6 months getting my outdoor rabbit tame after getting him and getting used with people, got a lot of bruises but he's one of the more cuddly bunnies. So 2 weeks aren't that long and she was never used with humans, so keep on doing what you are doing.

Back