Will all this rain affect the hay here?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
We have had a ton of rain around here the last few months, it has rain 77% of the days this month. I was wondering how , if at all, this will affect the hay? Will affect it for the bad, or will it be affected good? I would assume that if it is ra ining all thistime that they will not be able to cut the hay when they would have cause we have barely gotten a minutes rest without rain.

I am hoping that it wont be affected, i dont want to have to go and start buying hay liek that again.

From what I understand about hay, it would only be affected negatively if it has already been cut. if it is still growing, it should be fine. Hopefully they will wait until there will be several dry days in a row before cutting the hay, so that it can dry and not get moldy when baled. The hay farmers in northern Maine (where my mom raises goats) usually leave it growing until dryer days, so I'd think most people would do this. I'm by no means an expert though, just what I've observed :)

We're sick of the rain here too :rollseyes

it is about 105 degrees F in Wi and the sun is out

I am thinking that before air conditioning a lot of rabbits must have perished during the summer heat..:(

mine are all cool as little cucumbers up here with me with the air on.........
Since i am ordering hay from Oxbow i only hope that it is not raining in Nebraska ; when they have a bad crop they pull from other sources

It has to be dry when you bale it thats about all I know :expressionless

Latest posts

Back