will a rabbit eat something poisonous?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
I was just curious if, generally speaking, a domestic rabbit will stay away from things they shouldn't eat. Now I know my rabbit would would eat his weight in fruit if I let him, but in small doses fruit his fine for him. If I were to put iceberg in his cage (Not that I ever would!!!) would he try to eat it?

I'm curious because I let my bunny run around outside sometimes, and let him eat grass. Now as far as I can tell there is nothing he isn't allowed to eat on my lawn, but something could always pop up, though I check frequently.

Pet rabbits tend to eat what we put in front of them, but when presented with a lot of choices, they will only eat the good stuff. They do seem to have a high tolerance for 'toxic' plants, but still best to make sure you don't have yew or anything really bad in the vicinity.

When my guys are in the yard, they only seem to nibble on the plants that they can handle, but different rabbits have different tolerances.

And often, when first given the opportunity, they'll try and eat too much. I.E. Wet spring grass is suspected to be a cause of bloat or at least gas in rabbits, they don't always eat it in moderation.

Iceberg lettuce is NOT toxic for rabbits, btw, you can feed it to them (although none of mine like it much), just not too much of it, its watery and not very nutritious and I hear it can in some cases cause runny stools if they eat more than a little.

But as I just said in another thread discussing kale, no veggie should form more than 10% or 15% (20% at most) of the veggie diet over the course of a week or two, anyway. Small amounts of a lot of things is definitely best, iceberg lettuce and kale included.

sas

I definitely keep a close eye on him at all times so I'm not particularly worried, just curious.

I've was told not to feed iceberg because it causes diarrhea as well as having little nutritional value.

Typically, my rabbits salads contains 4 different veggies, I read in the library on here that if a rabbit is being feed commercial bunny then less variety is better...

Latest posts

Back