Wild Kit -- what to do for it? Help, please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyRabbits

Reaction score
A lady on my morning train asked me what to do about a wild kit that her cat brought in. I do not know how old the kit is. It apparently sits comfortably in her hand. Right now it is in a hamster cage and has been eating lettuce and carrots. While the cat did not injure it, it apparently pulled quite a little fur out of it.

I suggested to the woman that she call her state wildlife department and ask them. She seemed to want me to tell her what to do. Of course, she has know idea where the nest is so she can't put it back. I suggested getting a small nursing kit and some KLM and looking up a recipe online. I also suggested getting some rabbit pellets, but she doesn't want to tame it and keep it and so she really doesn't want to nurse it or feed it more than she has to.

What should I be telling her about this rabbit? My guess is it really needs its mother and needs to be given some nursing formula for several more weeks. I really don't know what to tell this woman.

I'm not an expert on cottontails by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe that once their eyes are open and they are eating on their own, they are ok in the wild.

That would be nice. I hope that is the case. I called the state wildlife people, and they don't have any facility for raising the young and then releasing them into the wild. They said just to put the rabbit at the edge of the yard and hope for the best.

Cottontails aren't like domestic rabbits that we keep with mom until 8 weeks. Their weaning is quick and pretty much by the time the eyes are open they're on their own.

I think it's more likely this woman will harm him by keeping him inside with all the stress that brings (and not having the correct food for him) than if she sets him free.

The momma cottontail weans at three weeks. I remember being at my aunts' in Indiana some years back and a nest of babies being in the small play house. We where there 10 days. The babies went from tiny and frail to gone the day we left. And they were hand size when they left *coughdontaskhowiknowcough* xD

If the cat got it and it's eyes are open it is likely he just left the nest and mr. kitty found him. I say it is likely it is weaned now and needs to be let loose.

Latest posts

Back