Wild cottontail nest in garden, baby rabbits keep falling in bricks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coupon

Reaction score
So a rabbit decided to make a nest inside the vegetable garden, and they look 1 week old (what age do rabbits open their eyes?)

But the problem is that some of them fall out the garden and get trapped inside the bricks when they explore. Is it ok if I pick them up and put them back in the nest, or does that stress them to death? I admit I played with one of them for a while because they were so cute, the size of mice. How old is a rabbit that is about the size of a mouse? There were 4 or 5 rabbits in the nest, so I think some of them fell out and couldn't get back in the garden. Should I move the nest to the ground?

Last edited:
Wild animals deserve to stay in the wild. They dont even act the same as domestic rabbits and they wouldn't be content in captivity as if they were domestic.
I'd block off the holes in the bricks or move the nest over to the ground and then leave the babies alone after that. Touching them wont cause mom to kill them or anything but they are SUPPOSED to be afraid of people to protect them when they are older.

Coupon asks what age their eyes open, and if the kits eyes aren't open then I think they're not truly wild rabbits just a domestic one gone feral. I'd study up on the feature differences just to make sure but if its a domestic rabbit gone feral then you just might be saving them.

They are wild rabbits, and I have to keep checking the bricks a few times a day to take them out. I'm worried that if I block the bricks they will just fall out the garden and can't get back in. So i'll just try moving it

These are wild rabbits though, but i'm worried that they will all jump out the garden before they grow up, can i dig a small hole on the ground close to it, put the rabbits in there and cover it with grass?

By the time you find wild cottontails that have their eyes open and are mobile, they are old enough to be away from the nest and will find their way back on their own. I know they seem small and fragile, but they're built to survive without human interference.

Even my domestic rabbit kits will hop up on top of the nestbox (long way up for little babies) almost immediately after opening their eyes. And the athletic ability of domestic rabbits hardly compares to their wild counterparts. Your babies can definitely get back in the garden if they wish to. :)

But this garden is really tall... they can't climb back in. There's only 2 babies left, all the other ones escaped so I put them in a box until I dig out another nest. I really want to see them grow up, what do I do? If I put them back in the old nest they just escape out in the yard. Is there a formula I can use to raise them?

Can my domestic rabbit care for them? Because when I put them in the cage, my pet rabbit seems to like them

Last edited:
PLZ tell me what to do, the 2 baby rabbits are in a box and they look really sad!

These rabbits only look 1 week old, size of a golfball but I notice they keep escaping from the garden and they can't get back up because it's a tall wall of bricks. So I put the two remaining ones out of the other five that escaped and put them in a box, now what do I do? Do I bring them to a vet, or can my pet rabbit care for them?

I posted about this in the rescue thread but no one is answering! So there is a rabbit nest in the vegetable garden, the rabbits are the size of a golfball and seem to be 1 and a half weeks old. But they keep escaping from the garden, and they can't get back in because the bricks are too tall! There were six in there, but now only two are left! I put them in a small box before I lost them too, now what do I do with them? Bring them to a vet or can my pet domestic rabbit care for them? I'm really sad about the fact that this nest is dying out, because the stupid momma rabbit decided to put it on top of a ledge where rabbits can't get back on. Oh well, I guess natural selection is weeding out that stupid rabbit. If I don't save these two, they will die anyway because they aren't ready to wean, and they get lost from the nest. So putting them back won't do any good, they are just exploring.

The rabbits look really sad and aren't moving, I need to do something fast

I think the best thing to do would be to return them to the nest. Baby wild buns are extremely difficult to keep alive. Maybe you can think of some way to set it up so that they can't get out of the garden. The mom will only feed them twice a day.

Has your pet bun recently had a litter of buns so has milk available for nursing the wild baby buns? That is the only way your pet bun could raise the baby buns and even then I'm not sure she would.

You could do some research to see if there is a wild life rehabilitator in your area that can raise the buns. They would have the most experience and best chance I would think.

Well putting them back in the nest won't do any good because they'll just jump out the garden and the nest is now over. Stupid momma rabbit just had to make a nest right next to a ledge
What are some rehabilitators close to Allen Texas?

Put the baby bunnies back. If you keep them and try to raise them more than likely they will die. It's hard to raise domestic kits let alone wild baby buns. Your pet bun can not raise these buns unless she has recently given birth herself and has milk available.

If you are that concerned about these buns then put them back, block the holes in the bricks. You can always fill the holes with dirt or gravel. Find something not to high that you can place against the bricks that will keep them from falling out of the garden. You could simple use some pieces of card board to be cheap.

Can you post a photo of the area where the nest it? Maybe some folks here can offer some suggestions on how to make it better to help contain the babies.

then build up an area around the nest if you must do something. Aimlessly rescuing kits does nothing except waste your time. AND if the babies are jumpy/hoppy it means that momma really isn't caring for them overly well OR they are terribly stupid babies and SHOULD have nature take it's course. Contented, well fed babies stay put.

Or... do what you should do and let nature take it's course. I know.. it seems hard/harsh...but stupid breeds stupid. If she (the momma) is too stupid to place her nest in a safe area, then let nature take it's course so that LONG TERM the rabbit species does better.

Rescuing animals from the result of stupidity does not help the species, all it does is downgrade it in the long term. Particularly so for truly wild animals.

put them back. Let them be. Seriously.
Wild animals are wild animals and should be left alone REGARDLESS of how you feel about it.
The most humane thing to do is to let them be.
this constant messing with them stressing them out more than simply leaving them alone.

I assume their eyes are open? (otherwise they wouldn't be 'looking sad'). So they will most likely be fine and momma will find them should she need to do so.

Back