Wicker

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petkeeper

Reaction score
Me again with another question. Wehave wicker baskets and wicker wreathes at our dollar store...they arethe lite colored like I see in a lot of your pictures...how do you tellif it is treated or not? I am assuming not but I want to besafe. I want to get some for the rabbits to have to play withand chew but I don't want to get anything that would hurt them.

I also had a question about rice...my ferrets have a rice box to digin, it is a rubbermaid container filled with parboiled rice...would therabbits like something like that to dig in too?

Thanks for all your expertise!

S.

I get my wicker baskets for $1.88 at Walmart in the craft section.

My Dollar Tree also has wicker baskets. They look like they havesomething on them because they are some-what shiney. I didn't buy anyfrom there for that reason.

If you aren't sure if it's safe or not, then set it down, and walk away. That's what I do, haha:)!

- Amy:brownbunny

Hi there,

You can usually tell if a basket has been treated or not,if it has ashiny texture to it then it's probably been treated,but if it has likea woody texture,then it should be fine.

These are the wicker baskets i buy my bunnies,i pay $2:00 for mine

000_1168.jpg

They absolutely love these,i'm forever picking up the little pieces that they chew off and just leave laying around

I also use the wicker baskets that are used for clothes,and i fill themup with hay,and the bunniesjust love to sit in there andmunch on the hay and the basket.

cheryl

Here's a picture of Sprite with a wicker hamster nest ball, most definately untreated:
33p3okp.jpg

You can also look at wicker finch nests in pet stores to get an example.

Some things also leave the bark on. Willow bark is not shiny,so that's a good clue. The Pier 1 willow balls are nottreated, as confirmed by their headquarters.

When in doubt, don't buy it. You can also contact the companyto find out. I've also found that some hobby/craft storeslabel what treatments were used on their products. Forexample, at Hobby Lobby there are little white stickers on the shelvesthat will say natural, varnished, dyed, etc. That's how Ifound that their smallest grapevine wreaths (5 for $1!) are untreated,but the larger ones are varnished.

As for the rice, I'd say no because the rabbits might eat it.Rice is really starchy for them. But you can make a dig boxwith shredded newspaper or sand in it. I usually use acardboard box with newspaper and hay in it. Then they dig,shred, chew, and eat to their hearts content.

I also found that the wicker balls from Wal-Martwork pretty well and my bunnies love to chew those up as well as abasket. And the balls are less than $2 for a pack of 8 or 10or something back in the crafts section.

I also get the pack of wicker balls at Walmart in the craft section. My buns (and mice!) love them!

- Amy:brownbunny

you give them them things from IKEA?

like:

Search the below for a photo at www.ikea.com

HAKEBO

Basket, Set of 4

[align=center]

product description & measurements

Peeled willow

environment

Renewable raw material (willow).

[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]?

they have baskets and balls and other stuff out of the willow and untreatedwicker
[/align]

If it's untreated, and it doesn't have nails orthreads, etc., in it, it should be fine. I don't have an IKEAanywhere near so I've never seen the stuff.

Latest posts

Back