wich breed and wich sex?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas

Reaction score
Ok myquestion... my 13 yr old son and I are interested in getting aPETONLY bunny, We went to a local rabbit show thisweekend and seen a few cute small breeds. we like the Jeresy Wooly,Lionheads and the mini rex,, Ok wich is the better tempermant?And wichsex is better for tempermant? We heard a lot of mixed answers and Imsure not everyone agrees... but the main thing we heard wasBucks spray and Does get PMS....It will be an inside pet. Bythe way we dont mind the long hair part of them..We are wanting asweet, mellow, not smelly bunny...:D

Thank You for any replies...

My suggest is to adopt from a rescue or shelteror to look into getting an adult that is looking for a retirement omefrom a breeder. Why? Because there is no breed that is guarenteedsweet, mellow, etc. If you get a baby, you are taking a gamble. Oftentimes babies are sweet and cuddly but once they hit the 'teen stage',they get tempermental and once they are past that stage, they may notbe the same sweet bunny you had in the first place. I know a lot ofpeople give up their bunnies after only a few months because 'they arejust too mean' and it's a natural stage of development and is verycommon.

Now generally speaking, the bigger the better only because the biggerbreeds tend to be more mellow (not guarenteed though). As far as themale/female thing goes, males may spray, but neutering them can fixthat, but does also spray (my doe is bad for this) and yes they can bevery moody and tempermental, once again, spaying helps. All 3 of myrabbits have gone through period of months where they are veryantisocial and want nothing to do with people, they have also been verymean at times. This is whyI recommend adopting an olderbunny, my 3.5 year old bucks were mean until about 2 years of age andnow they are the sweetest, most mellow rabbits you can imagine.

Great advice, MBB! I completely agreewith the idea of going to a shelter, if only because thespaying/neutering is more-times-than-not included in the price ofadopting, and rescued bunnies (and other animals, I've experienced) area tad on the sweeter side. Think of it being that they'regrateful to have a home, and are thus more happy in general, if thatmakes sense.

Of course, there are the buns that have been abused by the owners theywere rescued from, that tend to be on the agressive side, but if youhang out with the buns at the shelter, and pet them and really get tosee their personality, you should be able to distinguish which ones aresweet. :)

I wouldn't recommend an agressive bun around kids, which is why Isuggest hanging out with them first. :) (Not that Ithink people should only adopt the nice ones, mind you!)

Anyway, just my :twocents. :)

Rosie*

Well unfortunately there arent any shelters nearme that have rabbits... the closest one is 4 hours from me....and thead says they are not good with kids....

Almost all shelters say they are not good withkids, they are very likely to bite and scratch if mishandled and kidscan be too rough and be the cause of some of those bad behaviours.

If there are no shelters,I still say adopt an adult (over ayear at least) from a breeder. when you get an adult, you know what youare getting as far as temperment and personality go, you never knowwith a baby.

Oh, and as far as the smell goes, I don't have inside rabbits but I donot see any reason fo a particular breed to smell more than any otherbreed as long as the litter is changed regularily and the rabbit is ona proper diet.

Well, I would agree with the others as far asbreeds go; bigger tends to be mellower. I have an un-neuteredHolland Lop buck (About a medium-sized rabbit) and he is the sweetestlittle thing. He never went through any people-hating stage,and he never got mean with age (He's about three and a half now; we gothim at five months). As for spraying....he's a hutch bunny,so he doesn't have his cage in the house, but when we take him in thehouse for playtime he's never sprayed on anything (He had an accidentonce when he really had to go potty, but that's not a territory-markingissue).
Before him, I had two Dutch does, and they were pretty mellow, butcould get a little mean at times (I have a scar on my hand from a bitefrom one of them, still).
That's about as far as my experience goes, though. Hope it helped :)

Thank You for all the replies... my vet said hecan neuter and said it is a little better to do that then to spay... soif we ever find the bunny we want I think it will be a male.

Latest posts

Back