Why would a rabbit give pre-mature birth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshill90

Reaction score
Curious as to why a rabbit would give birth a week early?

Is it something spontaneous that just happens, or can it happen because something may be wrong with the kits? Can't really find any information online about it.

My 8 Month old Flemish doe was due next week.. this would be her second litter. (Her first litter she had when she was too young, but she successfully had 6 babies, and was a GREAT mother)..

Anyways, yesterday morning I went outside to her pen (sits on the ground and is 12ftx5ft with tons of straw/hay to keep warm).. but I went to her pen, and noticed she had given birth to 10 kits. She did start building a nest in the back area of the pen, but birthed these up front where she uses the bathroom.

The kits were all larger in size than her first litter, but were not fully formed and were laid all about.. she obviously knew they weren't alive, and didn't try mothering them or anything.

She's acting like her old self, and doesn't seem to be affected or anything. I brought her inside yesterday, gave her a bath (she was filthy) and she just went back outside a few minutes ago. She will soon be an inside house rabbit, but the rabbit room is not finished yet.

But, yeah.. any ideas why she may have birthed them early?

Also, at what point in the gestation do the babies get skin pigmentation? Her last litter all the babies were born with grey skin pigment, and these were birthed all pink.. just was curious if their pigmentation would have come in or if this was most likely a white/fawn litter. (mom is fawn)

Could be any number of reasons including chromosome abnormalities, uterine abnormalities/infection, immune disorder, stress, hormone disorders, uterine tumors, and advanced doe age.

Second what pam said. Sometimes nature just takes care of itself. If her birthing was pretty healthy and she didnt have any problems that you know of she could be bred back within 3 days from having them. A good breeder and judge says if a litter is lost then mom can be successfully bred back and be receptive within 72 hours from parturition.

I think most does lose there first litter so its really lucky she didn't, especially at that age. if i had to guess she is just still too young, at that age she isn't quite done growing yet. And pregnancy takes a lot out of any female. Human weman can have it actually eat their teeth if they aren't properly nourished. Which, is a lil scary.

Back