Why Timothy??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greta

Reaction score
My Mom was just wondering why everyone (breeders, pet stores, etc) recommend
timothy for buns as opposed to alfalfa, oat hay, and that kinda thing.Timothy is soooo expensive here, so we (mom/me) are curious if there'sa decent alternative...

Check out this recent thread:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11345&forum_id=1

Timothy is recommended because it is usually easily available and has agood nutrient balance. You can substitute with other grasshays- orchard grass, oat hay, bermuda, etc. Alfalfa is not agood substitute. It is a legume, not a grass, and has toomuch protein and calcium for most rabbits to be able to digesteasily. Alfalfa also has a lot of calories and can makerabbits fat. It is okay to give a little as treat, but itshouldn't be the main hay.

Hi Eve,

Yes, young bunnies should have unlimited alfalfa pellets, and a handfulof alfalfa hay. They need the protein and the calcium, whichare both very important for the first eight months or so, depending onthe size and breed of your bunny.

Best to also give them unlimited grass hay like Timothy as well.

And 12 weeks is the recommeded age to start slowly introducing fresh veggies and herbs.

SAS :)and PIPP:bunnydance:

As far as the cost goes, I have found thatbuying a "mini-bale" of timothy packaged at the pet store can cost veryclose to thepriceof a 2 string bale at a feedstore, in some cases. Buying hay in such large quantities doesn't maketotal sense if it is all used for feed, but if I am only going to pay acouple dollars more and get 6 times as much, I will take it.

I put a mountain of hay in Theodore's room and he will usually make alittle burrow in it to sit in. He loves it and I just change the hayoccasionally when I see signs that it is soiled.

More for your money, and the hay tends to be oh-so-fresh by comparison.

Alfalfa is fine for young rabbits, but it is too high in calories for older rabbits and it doesn't provide as much fiber.

For the past few months, my mom has been buyingAlfalfa hay, to her not knowing that her main hay is Timothy. I have aquestion, as soon as Emmy is done finishing the Alfalfa hay, as we buythe Timothy, will it regain her balanced diet?

Emmy's pelets areNutriphaseRabbit Foodat the moment. Should I changeanything to maintain her balance? (From the Alfalfa hay)

Switching over to timothy shouldn't be a problem. If Emmy is old enough, you could also switch her over to timothy pellets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/27-5-Lb-SUPER-PREMIUM-Timothy-HAY-IN-A-BOX_W0QQitemZ7738982368QQcategoryZ121854QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a link to an Ebay seller - Farmer Dave
I bought a 27 pound box of Timothy Hay from him back in November. Itcost me total, with shipping (which was expensive), about $36.

Sounds like alot, but it comes to about $1.33 a pound.
I was spending $7 to $8 for a 48 ounce bag of crappy hay from the pet store, that the buns wouldn't even eat.

This hay is just wonderful. It came packed in a rather big box which Istore it in. I transfer some to my hay hopper box when it's empty, andthen seal the storage box back up. Every time I open it it smells likefresh cut hay, and the buns go crazy! They eat it like there's notomorrow, so their GI systems are very regular!

I've had it 3 months now, and I've not even used 1/4 of the 27 lbs yet.It may last me another 6 months or more. And I have two litter/hayboxes that are filled daily - if not twice a day.

I highly recommend this guy's hay, or if you can find a local farm thatgrows it. The drawback is that you have to have a place to store it,but it is definately worth it to get it in bulk from a trusted grower.

sfritzp wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/27-5-Lb-SUPER-PREMIUM-Timothy-HAY-IN-A-BOX_W0QQitemZ7738982368QQcategoryZ121854QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is a link to an Ebay seller - Farmer Dave
I bought a 27 pound box of Timothy Hay from him back in November. Itcost me total, with shipping (which was expensive), about $36.

*squeal*

Another Ebay person!! *clara gives sfritzp a high five*

I am a BIG ebay freak! I have found many good "rabbit"products on ebay! Never really thought about buyinghay. Does Farmer Dave sell other hays besidestimothy? I buy oat hay for my bunnies b/c i am more allergicto the timothy (too crumbly and dusty) from a local feed store near me,but I am always interested in other options...

Bunnyslave - I just LOVE that Ebay!:inlove:
I don't think Farmer Dave has anything but Timothy... He must haveapple trees, because he sells 'Apple Branches' by the bunch, and hemakes rabbit toys out of dried apples and branches. He has quite afollowing of faithful customers, that's why I tried his 2 pound box ofhay first. My buns went nuts over it, it was so fresh - so I had to getmore! I had some nice email chats with him. He lives by Niagara Falls -the NY side - and I LOVE that area! (I love the Canadian side, too:Canada: :wave:) Lovely farm country.

Anyhow, one of my saved Ebay searches is "Rabbit" and I hunt for things on it often for the fuzz balls.
If you know the cost and quality of what you are looking for, and checkthe reputation of the seller before bidding, you can do OK on Ebay. Ihave over 140 buys and have never had a problem, and always have gottengreat deals.
I'll do a search for Oat hay and will let you know if I find anything!

My apologies for switching subject..

Bunnydude- I'm not really certain the age of Emmy, we've recieved herat an unknown age. Is there any ideas on how you can tell a bunniesage? Her birthday was last year, so my mom told me she was either 1 or2 years old of age. :?

Apoligies again for switching the subject! :embarrassed:

Latest posts

Back