Why the wire floor hate?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilac

Reaction score
I think probably one of the most controversial topics in the pet rabbit community is wire bottom cages. Whenever I come upon someone using wire bottom cages on social media, even if the cage is big enough and full of enrichment and the rabbit looks happy, the comments are full of people attacking the poster for "abusing" their rabbits. I used to think wire floor cages were bad, too- my reasoning was, I would be uncomfortable walking on a wire-bottomed cage with my furless feet, and the wire looked kind of barren and sad. I'd also never seen any significant rabbit "influencer" post pro-wire floor content, (i still haven't) only loads and loads of claims that wire floors cause sore hocks.

This year I started researching a bit more on wire bottomed cages however (i was curious about some pro-wire floor comments responding to a stereotypical "wire floors cause sore hocks" comment, and I went down the... rabbit hole) and I've found that there isn't really any legitimate, concrete evidence that wire floors are bad for rabbits. In fact, I found that wire floors are sanitary, provide the needed grip for running around, and are completely safe for normal rabbit breeds! (Rex rabbits have thinner fur on their feet and heavy rabbits like flemish giants are too heavy for wire floors to support them)

The facts are there. I cannot understand why people so passionately believe wire bottom cages are inhumane and cause sore hocks, and cannot listen to anyone with a different opinion. I quite literally cannot find more than 5 pet rabbit owners (not involved in the showing/breeding communities) that believe the benefits of wire bottom cages, and that is after a month or two of reading on the topic and digging through social media. Yes, upon first hearing about wire bottom cages, you wouldn't question that they could cause irritation to the hocks- especially if you were surrounded by people telling you that is so. But why close your mind when you see people replying and telling you, with evidence backing them up, that they are not detrimental? Because there are such comments, and there are MANY.

This frustrates and confuses me so much. I have spoken to rabbit owners and GOOD rabbit breeders who are upset with how close-minded, negative and toxic some people have instantly been when confronted with something different that they disagree with. This might seem silly because I'm upset over a little controversy in a pet rabbit community, but I feel like this is a real problem.

**I'm sharing this here because I know this forum is full of knowledgeable, respectful people- not the sort of people I'm talking about at all, and thank you for that! :)
Also, sorry if this post comes off as angry. I'm trying to let off some steam, and I'm a bit upset right now especially because I recently had a conversation with someone who had been heavily affected by this negativity in their own personal life and i find that just so unbelievable.

There are undeniably certain rabbit breeds (as you mentioned) that do get sore hocks from being on wire bottom cages. At the same time, rabbits kept exclusively on carpet may also get sore hocks.

There's a long line between "ideal" flooring and "inhumane" flooring.

On the topic of wire bottom floors, I think it's important to draw a distinction between pet rabbits and breeder rabbits. Breeders keeping rabbits in multiple cages have different needs so wire bottom cages make sense (barring certain breeds) and are convenient. Breeders also provide them a different diet that is appropriate for their purpose. Many also keep them in considerably smaller 'cages' than, say, a free roam pet rabbit. In other words, there are differences in how rabbits are cared for depending on their purpose. (But even with wire-bottom cages many breeders will still provide a solid platform within the cage for the rabbit's benefit.)

As for pet rabbits, litter training is common and easy. A wire-bottom cage simply serves no purpose or benefit for a litter trained rabbit. Providing any non-slick flooring is convenient. But, as mentioned, even certain carpets have the potential to cause sore hocks.

So what's the solution? I think owners (whether breeders or pet owners) try to balance the ideal with what is do-able and reasonably convenient. How far one will move on the spectrum away from "ideal" will depend on how much or how little they are willing to be inconvenienced in their care/workload.

It seems reasonable to me that the most "ideal" flooring would be that which comes closest to nature -- as soft and cushy as, and having the traction of, soil/earth. Since that can be a challenge, one thing experience tells us is that providing a rabbit with multiple flooring options prevents sore hocks and provides the opportunity for the rabbit to decide upon what type of surface to lay. My opinion would be that 3 or more surface options are ideal. But even two at least provides some option. A breeder cage with wire bottom and also a solid platform area provides this. Pet rabbit owners would also do well to provide options (as carpet flooring alone has the potential to cause sore hocks).

So all of this background just to say that rather than getting too upset over this issue, there might be a more flexible, reasoned way to approach the topic with those on either extreme-- a way to start from a middle ground. After all, there are circumstances when wire-bottom cages can be useful, even beneficial (esp. with a platform), but there are also circumstances when wire-bottom cages are inappropriate, or detrimental.

No matter how "well" one cares for their rabbit(s), there will always be those who feel another way is better.

Back