Why must some people insist on turning their rabbits loose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixonsrabbitry1

Reaction score
Those of you that are on a 'certain' chicken and livestock(cough backyard chickens livestock section)forum will understand my frustration. It seems that everyone and their brother on there either want to feed them things like chicken feed, or they turn them loose in their yards with no protection. One poster is purposely breeding rabbits just to set them free. Only catches and cages does while they are in the process of building a nest. Has also posted pictures of rabbits running around in the middle of winter in a snow bank. And has recently released several eight week old rabbits onto his farm. The thing is people on there think that its cute, because he is *free ranging them.* It is not. It is very irresponsible. Not only does it put the rabbits life at risk, but there is also the chance of spread of disease. And if they get caught by animal control, the possibility of laws passed against rabbit ownership. Its also not proper free ranging. Anyoen that says anything to this person for doing it either ends up banned or reprimanded by the mods(one actually has free roaming rabbits).

Anyone considering letting their rabbits run free, please do not do that. If you want your bunny to have some time in th eyard, make it a tractoring pen. Large dog cages are excellent for this. Or at least make sure the yard has a fence around it, and the bunny is supervised while outside.

Its not just this one person either. There seems to be places all over Canada and the US now that are having problems with feral colonies due to those that think its OK to let them run free. Some areas have passed laws restricting ownership and sales of rabbits. And I am pretty sure rabbit rescues see more then their fare share of released bunnies too.

I just wanted to say that I dont think anyone on the particular forum does that.

Everyone here discusses how important it is to not breed "pet quality" rabbits. Also, it is often encouraged that rabbits be kept indoors as opposed to even in a hutch outside. If inside is not a possibility the hutches are extremely warm and dry and the rabbits are adequately socialized.

I'm really sorry that is happening on other forums, but I think if someone posted something that here they would get a whole wave of very concerned responses.

Thanks for trying to spread awareness! The bunnies appreciate it.

No problem! It drives me nuts when people say they love their rabbits, but they turn them loose! There is more then one way to properly take care of a rabbit. Whether its inside, or outside in a hutch. The thing is to make sure its provided for and taken care of, and loved.If you are going to breed(or keep a pet)at least do it right by researching proper colony raising, pet ownership, or better yet keeping a show herd. Turning them loose and feeding them chicken feed is not one of them! don't let them run free. It only hurts everyone else that is being responsible with their rabbits.

I realize that this forum doesn't support something like that, and that is wonderful. Education is the best way to teach people to properly care for their animals. Though sometimes they just refuse to listen.

I give it a couple of months, and the newest litters will be breeding. Then this person will have a couple of hundred of them on their hands. :( Or they will die.

I think people who do extreme things like that are ignorant and/or selfish. Possibly also lazy. That is my opinion, I don't really have much more to say about it. *shrug*

Places with problematic feral populations??? caused by stupid humans????

Let's see...... University of Victoria gets plenty of global press for their free range rabbits. They use the bunnies as an advertisement then want to kill them off. It's kind of twisted because the bun's are seen as "cute", "precious", "innocent", yet this educational institution (you know, those that claim to be more civilized and advanced??) will use barbaric methods to "reduce" the population.

Then there's Australia. I'm actually SHOCKED that you can't vaccinate a pet bunny there for Myxomatosis.

Free range bunnies? not a good idea! I'm mostly thinking about one's neighbors who may not find it appealing to have multiple bunnies all over the place. Bun's do kind of chew, dig, and well, multiply quickly, LOL!

Just give up, you can't change the careless (idiots!) that will free their bunnies. The only thing that can stop it is legislation (unfortunately). But then you need to live somewhere with people who will enforce the law. There's laws that get ignored everywhere even by law enforcement.

"I give it a couple of months, and the newest litters will be breeding. Then this person will have a couple of hundred of them on their hands"

Can't this individual be cited for animal neglect and/or cruelty, especially if you can gather enough evidence against this person?

What kind of animal laws are on the books where you live that could work in your favor?

Nope the best way is education. we do not need legislation. It doesn't do any good, other then hurting good people that are responsible with their rabbits. like the new law they want to pas sin the U of Vic area. that one has responsible breeders really worried about it because they wouldn't be able to sell pets.And they can't afford the pay and neuter fees on whats considered a multipurpose animal. they will end up killing a lot more good pet quality rabbits because they won't be allowed to sell them. :( Even if that law was passed, i think people would still turn their pets loose if they wanted to, no matter where it came from. Those that let them go need to wise up.

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
Nope the best way is education. we do not need legislation. It doesn't do any good, other then hurting good people that are responsible with their rabbits. like the new law they want to pas sin the U of Vic area. that one has responsible breeders really worried about it because they wouldn't be able to sell pets.And they can't afford the pay and neuter fees on whats considered a multipurpose animal. they will end up killing a lot more good pet quality rabbits because they won't be allowed to sell them. :( Even if that law was passed, i think people would still turn their pets loose if they wanted to, no matter where it came from. Those that let them go need to wise up.
I agree education is the best way, but sometimes you have to legislate. Of course, the only time that legislation is effective is with enforcement. Often times, laws are on the books but nobody backs them up (including law enforcement...and even animal control authorities). But, having animal laws helps. For instance, if your area has animal laws dictating requirements that must be met, then this guy you're talking about may be breaking some kind of local ordinance by free ranging rabbits. With those laws in place, it's MUCH easier to force him to keep the rabbits contained and fed decently or he can be cited for animal cruelty/neglect. If he doesn't comply with the law, his animals can be confiscated. That's how it's done here in TN. Honestly, I'd check with animal control to see if there are any laws he's breaking. That's about all you can do with someone like that. You can educate him all day long, he's not listening. He thinks what he's doing is okay. I'm a realist, this is a lost cause without law enforcement.

Given the Univ. of Victoria's problem? They encouraged it.
Nonetheless, people have to be educated and stopped from dumping pets out...why?
Here's a great article:

Exotic Pets Returned to the Wild
Releasing Pets is Never a Good Option
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/resourcesgeneral/a/exoticsrelease.htm

Haven't read through all this but maybe he's breaking one of these regulations in Ohio?

Ohio Livestock Laws
Ohio Revised Code
Title IX [9] Agriculture - Animals - Fences
Chapter 951: Animals Running at large; Strays
http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/fence/oh_fnc.htm

I think these regulations might apply to all livestock but I'd have to read up on it.

One problem he's not thinking about is that he might have neighbors that have gardens they'd like to protect. Well, as much as I adore bunnies, I know they can be destructive and will enjoy munching on someone's garden plants :p. The problem I see with that? That neighbor might not be so nice about removing the "problem". Bunnies also dig holes, chew up trees....I could go on....as to why they ought to be managed better by being contained. You already know this. :D

SnootyPuffs wrote:
Oh, I've hit the jackpot on info...
University of Vermont -- Livestock laws (has info for all states).

http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/fence/fnc_menu.htm
We already warned him about neighbors. He said he didn't have any.

yeah i think he would breaking some laws under the ohio ones from the looks of things.

Rabbits are classified as both livestock and pets in most areas. i wonder if he'd be breaking any pet laws down there.

Sorry folks, but I`m going to stop the conversation here.

RabbitsOnline has an explicit policy against the posting of personal information of others without their consent. Violation of this policy is unacceptable, under all circumstances. While I truly understand your intent, this discussion is coming dangerously close to violating of the personal information policy, as well as the vendetta policy.

For a refresher on the forum rules, take a look here.

For this reason, I have removed any and all posts containing identifying information.

While your concerns are legitimate, RO is not the appropriate place for such a personal discussion. Anyone with an interest in this topic is encouraged to join the other board for further discussion.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation! :)

Other than the personal info, I think we're okay here, its a good thread, I'll be reopening it.

Thanks for the edits, Autumn. :)

Please keep it impersonal, guys, and remember, especially no personal attacks or degrading any one else's opinion. If any one disagrees, continue to do so respectfully.

:thanks:

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
Other than the personal info, I think we're okay here, its a good thread, I'll be reopening it.

Thanks for the edits, Autumn. :)

Please keep it impersonal, guys, and remember, especially no personal attacks or degrading any one else's opinion. If any one disagrees, continue to do so respectfully.

:thanks:

sas :bunnydance:
I think its good to keep it open. It would help discourage new owners on here not to do that with their bunnies. :) The other mod brought up some good points, and they were pretty nice about it too. :)

Rabbits that are domesticated should not be let loose into the wild.Domesticated rabbits are used to us giving them food and if they are let loose they may have trouble finding food because they might have to compete for it with other rabbits.If somebody really loves their rabbits then why would they do that to them?It's the owners choice but I would never do it.

The moderator on the Chickens forum had the same issue...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You folks have been told over and over to stop browbeating the OP. You cannot make him manage his rabbits the way you want him to and it does no good to keep invading every thread he posts with nasty comments...and questioning moderation isn't helping, either. When you feel the urge to enlighten him with your wisdom on this subject again, just don't. Harrassment isn't going to be tolerated on this forum.

PMs telling me about the fine points of rabbit management are not necessary because that is not why this thread is closed. Thread-stalking of the OP is.
[line]
Nobody I'm sure would argue that the OP should NOT be releasing the rabbits, but it's just that the brow-beating in this format isn't going to stop him. The point was made, the attacks are just going to make him dig in his heels.

However, the information and well-thought out replies explaining to him and others (on this forum as well) the dangers, the legalities and the alternatives are priceless.

'Harassment' is different from pressure. You have to recognize where the line is drawn and where it's going to do the most good.

While 'venting' and 'attacking' may make you feel better, quietly doing the research, presenting the info to back your arguments in an even-keeled manner and/or notifying the proper authorities or taking other measures is far more effective.

It is a great thread for this, thanks.

sas :thanks:

The thing is nobody harassed him though. Each time he posts, someone new is going to come in(or comes in) and sees that there is a problem with what he is doing. It happens every time. Each time someone has come in and presented good information about why they shouldn't be turned loose. Most of the time he is not attacked, or harassed, just told hey don't do that. He responds with the usual 'they are my rabbits and I will do whatever i want with them.'They are either banned, or told to shut up. That's what happened this time. The two or three newer ones that said something this time have been on there for awhile, but have never commented to him. This is the first I have seen of them.

Its frustrating because there are plenty of good rabbit owners out there, but then there are those that don't seem to care about their welfare, other then its cute to let them run around in the yard.

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
The thing is nobody harassed him though. Each time he posts...

25-1.gif

11513.gif

This is nothing but incessant arguing. I'd normally PM you, but its good that everybody recognizes what we're targeting.

Do NOT continue to present arguments, just move on. :lipsrsealed:

We call it 'Agree to disagree.' And DON'T START ARGUING ABOUT THAT, EITHER! You constantly feel compelled to argue all kinds of points that just don't matter, the threads invariably get offtrack, time is wasted, the mods get irritable and readers tune out.

If you post again using the word 'but' (or 'the thing is'), I'm deleting it. :grumpy:

sas
head_hurts_kr.gif

Pipp wrote:

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
The thing is nobody harassed him though. Each time he posts...

25-1.gif

11513.gif

This is nothing but incessant arguing. I'd normally PM you, but its good that everybody recognizes what we're targeting.

Do NOT continue to present arguments, just move on. :lipsrsealed:

We call it 'Agree to disagree.' And DON'T START ARGUING ABOUT THAT, EITHER! You constantly feel compelled to argue all kinds of points that just don't matter, the threads invariably get offtrack, time is wasted, the mods get irritable and readers tune out.

If you post again using the word 'but' (or 'the thing is'), I'm deleting it. :grumpy:

sas
head_hurts_kr.gif
I am sorry if it looked like I was arguing. I wasn't. I was discussing.

Latest posts

Back