Why is this funny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebunnyok

Reaction score
Why is it whenever we talk about having a bunny, people automatically mention having rabbit stew for dinner? They say it as a joke, and I guess to some people it would be funny, but would it be funny if I talk about bbqing their dog or cat? My husband even has a friend who has renamed our bunny "stew". GRRRRRR.... :rant:

LOL...okay, that is cute! I could see using it if it's part of his name. Sorry I went off on a rant, it just bugs me that someone could think of eating my baby! :shock:

I get that a lot. Actually, what I get most often when I tell people I have rabbits is, "Oh I love rabbits, they're delicious!" Ha ha :expressionless Even worse is when people come into our house and see our rats and talk about how much they hate rats and think they should die. Seriously? Come into our home and say that?!

I used to tell my son that our Commodore Stockton was "the other white meat"--he used to get all upset. Our rescued White New Zealand is called Hoss--not because he's so large, but because it's short for Hossenpfeffer--German for rabbit stew. We think it's funny and know that nothing will ever happen to our babies. We have lot's more nicknames.

I think everyone here hates those jokes. I know I do..in fact it caused a fight between my boyfriends friend and I...

Trust me, I was ready to beat her up LOL

These are the same people who like to offer meat to vegetarians, or make the "people for the eating of tasty animals" jokes. They are just idiots who have nothing more intelligent to do than try to make other people mad. I think it's amusing that every one of them thinks they are the first person to make those lame jokes.
I just ignore them, because it makes them mad to not get a reaction.

(I think it's different when talking about nicknaming your own pets.)

i live in a family of rednecks (i swear that my mom and me the only normal people in the family)and i get the rabbit stew thing a lot. i just laugh and let them talk, cause i know that nothing is going to happen to my boy. i think one of the reasons they wouldn't do anything (besides respect towards me) is that when i was a kid i had one heck of a temper and they rarely see my temper now but it's still pretty bad. my dad even leaves the room when i'm in "that mood" lol. and i'm only a skinny 20 year old girl!! so i know that they know if i come home to stew and my rabbit is gone, they will NEVER hear the end of it.

Latest posts

Back