Why do you breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
I enjoy reading the posts in here and have learned so much from wonderful breeders like yourselves. I am curious though, why do you breed?

It's obviously not a money maker and it seems like the losses are very high. What is the positive side?

I'm not going to start breeding as all my buns are fixed, I just love to learn about other people and their perspectives. Please don't take this as an anti-breeding question as that is not the intent. :)

Many people enjoysomethingthat they are passionate about and don't make any money at it - that's the nature of a hobby. :)

I had wanted to at least OWN bunnies since I was very little when I first met my best friend whose family raised New Zealands commerically (had about 50 does I think), and some other rabbits as pets and for 4-H.

Edited by moderator and poster pm'd due to discussion of meat rabbits not being allowed...:biggrin:

I asked this question a few years ago here on the forum and we wound up having rescue folks taking the comments and passing them around and using them to slam the forum because we are breeder-friendly. That is one reason why I really don't talk about this anymore on here as comments can be taken out of context, etc.

However, I will state that in my area, we do not have any rabbit rescues for over 150 miles and if you want a rabbit you must go to a breeder. There is no one within 100 miles (that I know of) that raises flemish giants (to be pets) or holland lops....

So I feel like I'm helping folks find those breeds if they wanted them.

I know you mean well by asking, but like the others have said, a lot of things can be taken out of context and used against us (in a mean, cruel and vindictive way I might add).
I will, however, agree with Pam: it is a passion and a hobby for all of us.

I breed to improve-to create stronger, healthier rabbits that meet the breed standard.

It's simply a hobby that pays for itself when you see the end perfection of something you've worked really hard at.

Thank you for thoes who answered. I don't want to start any fights over curiosity. I would hope that everyone here could get along and not be mean, but I understand that things happen sometimes.

As a kid I showed dairy cows in 4-H, so I imagine it is sort of similar.

A moderator can delete this thread if they think it will cause trouble.

I breed my rabbits to better my breed and make people realize a tan can take a Best In Show as well as any other more popular breed :)
Its also nice to hear people say they were wrong about the personalities of these sweet and curious rabbits

Ours were accidental and we are a perfect example of why uneducated people should not have rabbits lol. We (me especially) were irresponsible. It is very hard to find responsible owners for our adorable little "accidents" and it doesn't help that I refuse to give our babies to anyone I feel will not be responsible. I have had all our adult males neutered and plan on fixing the females as soon as possible.

I have tons of respect for responsible breeders and I think it is a noble type of thing. It is just not for me lol.

First I think breeding should only be done by responsible people who breed to better their breed, not to make money or have cute babies.
I breed purebred Holland Lops because I have a passion for raising bunnies and watching them grow. Then you get to see the smile on the people who adopt the babies.
I breed for show as well as pets so there is a sense of accomplishment of getting a show quality baby and raising it from its first moments of life!
I am against breeding mix rabbits but I do not understand how someone could be against breeders breeding to better a breed of rabbit. If dedicated breeders didn't put all the work into these breeds there would be no breeds left!

I breed because I enjoy the challenge of it. Working towards that standard is a challenge and a joy. I have always been interested in genetics, so it's exciting to me to see what's going to show up in the nestbox. I wish I had a larger farm, but I don't, so it's my farming project on a small scale. Someday I'll have cattle and sheep, but I'll probably always have rabbits too.
Yes, I also butcher my lesser quality rabbits. It's an added bonus. It's food for us. The kind that I know where it came from and what it ate. I also know that they were treated very well their entire lives and killed humanely.

I wanted to get into a hobby, since i have anxiety and serve depression, I was told that doing a hobby will help. And plus I never got the chance when I was a teen to go to shows or be in 4-h. But now that I am older I can do what my parents wouldnt let me do. And now I have my children, I want them to do what I couldnt! Its good to teach them responsibility, I dont make money I am very deep in the hole. But I love what I do. I love all my animals!

I had my own rabbits since I was tiny, and I was breeding them before 4-H age, and then throughout 4-H have been competively breeding. Woo, around 20 years. Soo, its just grown on me. I like rabbits because they generally have sweet personalities. They're quiet, exc. And I breed because I love the rabbits, and I want to better the breeds of my choosing. It feels amazing to win legs with the bunnies, and I look forward to going to shows to see my friends who share the same passion I do. And no matter how many years you do it, you will ALWAYS have new questions. That I promise... and it feels great to always be learning.

Its not just a passion, its an obsession!

Latest posts

Back