Why do we need to groom medium haired rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.lai

Reaction score
My sister is a horrible rabbit owner and doesnt give her bunny (mini lop) much attention. Shes 22 and should be more responsible.

I went to check on her rabbit (we both have one but they live separately in our rooms), and i noticed the rabbit was shedding everywhere and everytime i petted the rabbit (whose very tame) my hand was filled with hairs.

Aside from getting rid of the loose hairs, what is the purpose of actually grooming the rabbit.

I brush my Nethie once a week but no hairs ever fall out..then again my Nethie's hairs are much shorter than my sisters mini lop.

If the rabbit ingests too much hair it can cause a blockage and lead to woolblock or stasis...

We have nethies, a brittania petite, lionheads, and holland lops and we brush them regularly! Besides the obvious health benefits for your bunn it helps reduce the number of bunny "tumbleweeds" rolling through your home too! :D

Danielle

Everybun should get groomed/brushed.
I have a soft bristle brush for Babii.
Looks like this
IMGP4379.JPG

You can get them at petsmart.
Anyways, every bun should get brushed..
But also, shedding is normal.. :)

Brushing helps to get rid of all the loose hair, like you mentioned; as well as get rid of any small tangles, debris that might be in the fur (like pieces of hay!), and just to get them looking pretty, too! :D

Plus it probably makes the rabbit feel good when they get brushed. :)

Emily

I think the #1 reason would be to avoid ingesting the hair and causing stasis. Also, even short-haired bunnies can get matted hair (especially on the bum) if they're not combed as well, and that can be painful and get dirty, smelly, and hard to move.

Latest posts

Back