Why do rabbit shows like dark claws on siamese satins?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WMCrabbitry

Reaction score
I was at a rabbit show recently and I went to show my junior doe(Maxine ) and she got disqualified because she had 2 white colored claws. Does anybody know why they like darker colored claws for siamese satins???

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

As far as why they prefer dark nails I am going to say its just for cosmetics. In the UK I hear mismatched or white toenails are not disqualifications. You can get white toenails from dilute or dilute carrying rabbits. I do not know the genetics behind it but I might not use the doe as a breeder to decrease the chances of it carrying on. Sometimes when it is one toenail that is white it could have been an injury where the toenail grew back white. When it's two or more people say its a random genetic flaw. Here's another thread about it i don't know if it will help. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f20/colour-toenails-53582/

All breeds at ARBA rabbit shows are judged against each breed's Standard of Perfection (SOP), which functions like a breed standard does in the dog and cat worlds.

If the SOP for Satins requires nail color to be a certain way, then that's how the judge is required to judge/disqualify/place each rabbit.

All the breed SOPs are available in one book from ARBA on their publications page. It doesn't look like you need to be a member to purchase it. :)

Latest posts

Back