Why did I choose bunnies ????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proxima centauri

Reaction score
It just struck me tonight.

Why did I chose to have bunnies as pets?

Well, at first it was because I wasn't allergic and I wanted a little beast to cuddle with and since I had never had a pet, I got a bunny, on the impulse.

Then we got a second one.

But now, after 9-10 months of bunny love, it struck me as very odd.

Indeed, I'm the odd ball among my friends.

Are we all crazy to have bunnies as house pets?

Or is it just me?

:shock:

I guess one of our initial reasons behind planning on getting a bunny (this Sunday!) was because I live in an apartment. Didn't think it would be a really good place to have a dog and I was kind of hoping that I could keep the bunnies hidden from the apartment complex (don't really want to shell out $400 for a pet deposit).

This also came about because of the death of my gf's sister's pet rabbit. We absolutely loved that little guy for the short time that we had him. Sadly we were far from bunny savvy at the time, despite how obviously happy we made him (he did a lot of teeth purring for us). I believe now that the pet store that he was purchased from sold her sister a bunny that was probably no more than a few weeks old and that along with an improper diet for his age led to his death.

Now, I find that rabbits sound to be a really fascinating pet. One that will really make us work at being good parents for them and will fill our lives with something special that no other type of pet could.

Well, I first chose bunnies because they were adorable. What can I say - I was eight years old ;)But after losing twobunnies rather tragically, I swore off rabbits. It was just too painful :cry2

But then I was perusing a pet store several years later, and I fell in love with a little black Mini Rex. Head-over-heels, I was done for. And I brought him home. Having Rex made me want to learn more about rabbits, and soon I found the House Rabbit Society. The rest, as they say, is history. We adopted Peanut three years later, and I for one couldn't be happier. Rex will be seven years old this Monday.

I love rabbits because they are affectionate, entertaining, personable, independant, strong-willed, snuggly, and well, their poops don't stink :D

I'm like Just Jack- I got my first bun because Ilived in an apartment. Cats and dogs were definately notallowed, but the landlords were willing to work with us on otheranimals. My hubby and I had talked about chinchillas andferrets and I already had a hamster and several fish tanks.We looked at everything EXCEPT rabbits. James had rabbits asa kid, but my only experiences with them were the typical outdoor hutchrabbits (you know- the ones that don't see a human for weeks at a time)and I had bunnysat one indoor bunny for a few months that I thought wasinsane. I understand her now. Then we were in thepet store once, and there were Mocha and her siblings. Unlikemost other pet store rabbits I've seen, they were interested inpeople. James brought her home for me as a surprise laterthat day. We joke about how one bunny became four, andthey're all fixed!

I am the oddball among my friends and family, although one of my oldcollege friends did call me to ask about rabbits since she was thinkingof getting one. I love rabbit personalities, they're sodifferent from dogs and cats! I love to watch them play, too.

I owned a rabbit when I was a todler and shelived until I was about 8-9. But, I neglected her and rabbits didn'tintrest me at that age (I feel so guilty it's not even funny:(). ThenWhen I was 12, a lady from the school I went to brought these babybunnies to show around and I loved them but my mom wasn't too sure,then my dad said I could get a rabbit, but not thpse rabbits because Mydad's friend breeds netherland dwarfs. First site, I knew I'd wanted arabbit. A few weeks later, I got Pepsi! :). Pepsi has been a littlestressfull with her little stress attacks and I feel guilty about thistoo.. I've thought about giving her up for adoption once before whenshe had a bad stress attack and I didn't know what to do.. but she'sstill here! :D

Then my cousin had a litter of lionheads and I fell in love with themand then got Pebbles. I thought I'd like to have a little friend forPepsi.

I used to be a guinea pig person but then at myschool we bought two baby mini lops a brother and a sister and i justfell in love with the girl she called Dot and the brother is called Ashthen i used to take her home for half terms she was just so fun to haveat home always rushing to the cage to say hello and always wanted someattention and wanted to play and my guinea pig i had she is lovely buti always feel guinea pigs runaway and arnt as affectionent as rabbitsand now i keep Dot at home and have Poppy as well so rabbits are for mehe he xx

Aww...congrats on getting your new baby tomorrow. Let us know how it goes, and what he/she's like, ok? :D

Just Jack wrote:
I guess one of ourinitial reasons behind planning on getting a bunny (this Sunday!) wasbecause I live in an apartment. Didn't think it would be areally good place to have a dog and I was kind of hoping that I couldkeep the bunnies hidden from the apartment complex (don't really wantto shell out $400 for a pet deposit).

This also came about because of the death of my gf's sister's petrabbit. We absolutely loved that little guy for the shorttime that we had him. Sadly we were far from bunny savvy atthe time, despite how obviously happy we made him (he did a lot ofteeth purring for us). I believe now that the pet store thathe was purchased from sold her sister a bunny that was probably no morethan a few weeks old and that along with an improper diet for his ageled to his death.

Now, I find that rabbits sound to be a really fascinatingpet. One that will really make us work at being good parentsfor them and will fill our lives with something special that no othertype of pet could.

(I know I've told this part of the story a hundred times...forgive me, guys...I'll try to make it different this time!!)

When I was a kid, we weren't allowed to have any animals other than thetwo dogs, and the birds my stepmother had. When I moved inwith my biological mother when I was ten, she had cats, so my desire ofwanting another type of pet quickly went out the window (if only I knewthen that rabbits and cats get along!!). During my thirteenyears in living with my mother, we had over 20 cats, so I justcontinued on with my cat-loving experience.

I'd longingly looked at the bunnies in pet stores over the years, butthey just never responded back. I always got one of twothings from the poor things...they would either just lay there andignore me, or jump into their little plastic hiding cave, and Iwouldn't see them again. So, I eventually decided thatrabbits weren't for me.

A few weeks ago, however, one of the girls at my daughter's schoolbrought in a litter of kits their bun and her new bun man had givenbirth to six weeks before. My only thought in going over wassomething along the lines of, "well, at the very least, I can continuemy longingly stare..." But when I went over, I saw that theywere hopping around, interested in the people around them, and not theleast bit scared. One bun in particular was VERY friendly andsweet...my sweet Maisie.

Needless to say, she won my heart, and she's now become a part of mythree person, two cat family. It took my husband about a yearto warm up to the cats...but he's already warming up to sweetMaisie...and it's only been a few weeks!!

Just goes to show ya...ya can't resist the power of the bun!! :heartbeat:apollo::heartbeat

Aww...they are so adorable!! Good luck picking just one!! I don't think I could! :D

Just Jack wrote:
oh we will along withhundreds of pictures! BTW we already knowthat we will be getting just does :p

there are some pictures of the bunnies we will be choosing from in myNewbieQuestion thread

actually we get to pick at least two!Two was what we were planning on but Peg said if we wanted more thantwo we could:bunnydance: we'll see what happenstomorrow!:bunnydance:

CONGRATS either way!! Have fun. The pics Ialready saw were awesome. I had to hide a guinea pig in my dorm room incollege. I put her on a tv cart and just had a table cloth over it so Icould drop the curtain when someone came in. Only problem was thoselittle squeaks they make when they hear plastic bags and want food. Ilove your cage but it seems kind of large to hide from maintenance.Best wishes all the same, you will be great parents.baci

I was single in Chicago with a dog, guinea pigsand no knowledge of rabbits at all. A friend of mine told me that therewas an abandoned rabbit living in Lincoln Park in the long grasses. Itook my dog to the area picked up Sheba (an abandoned mini-lop) andfell in love with her instantly. She was my introduction to rabbits101. I have been a rabbit freak ever since.

Just Jack wrote:
actually we get to pick at least two! Two was whatwe were planning on but Peg said if we wanted more than two wecould:bunnydance: we'll see what happens tomorrow!:bunnydance:
I haven't told the bunnies about the mansion that Just Jack has built -because I know that the gals who ride home with us will be heartbrokenif they don't get tolive in it.

I'm really a bit nervous about this - as I think that one of theirfavorites is one of mine....will I be able to let her go? Ithink she knows she is going to a new home as she's been binkyingthrough the house like crazy the last day or so....(its the bluedoe). Her mane is just blooming and looks awesome.If they don't choose her - she'll stay here - but I know if they dochoose her - she's going to have an awesome home where she's loved andspoiled and she'll get more attention than I could give her.

I'm going to grab all the does in a few minutes and put them togetherin a cage tonight so that I don't have to chase them down in themorning when I'm only half awake.

Anyway - I'm getting excited about this too...it will be so nice tomeet y'all and to see you interact with the rabbits for the firsttime.

Peg

Parting with the babies is one of the reasons Iwouldn't be a good breeder. I would cry for days everytime one left..pathetic or what:D? (And I would probably want to keep everyone lol!)

If Jack does choose her, she'll have a wonderful home and you can keepin touch over the forum. Let me know how it goes tomorrow! Reallyexcited about hearing Jack's expierence with the rabbits!

:)

I think I've explained this on a similar thread,but Thor, my 5 year old lop, is a gift from my husband, as a sort ofpromise I've made after overcoming a very difficult hardship in mylife. I call her my "gift from God". Incidentally,does any one know how to translate that into a differentlanguage? Whenever I'm alone with Thor, I pet her, look intoher eyes, and tell her she's my gift from God.

When i was up at the stables with my horse alady brought up wee baby rabbits and i thought they were so cute so iasked my mum for 1 and she said yes so thats y i got into bunnies:bunnydance::D

In Spanish...

Gift = regalo

God = Dios

Gift from God = regalo de Dios

Is there any particular language you'd like to see other thanSpanish? I can figure out Italian and French, too.:D

thor wrote:
I think I've explained this ona similar thread, but Thor, my 5 year old lop, is a gift from myhusband, as a sort of promise I've made after overcoming a verydifficult hardship in my life. I call her my "gift fromGod". Incidentally, does any one know how to translate thatinto a different language? Whenever I'm alone with Thor, Ipet her, look into her eyes, and tell her she's my gift fromGod.

French:

Gift => Cadeau
From => De
God => Dieu

Cadeau de Dieu.

Literally.

However, the expression would rather be:

Don de Dieu (Gift from God)

or even

Cadeau du Ciel (Gift from the Sky, Gift from Heaven)

I had always wanted a dog, but could not affordthe deposit and monthly rent of the pet at my apartmentcomplex. So one day my boyfriend and I were walking around ata swap meet and came across these little bundles of fur. Thelittle boy there put her in our hands and told us it was a dwarf bunny.How could I say no! My little Zoe was my first bunny, butsadly two weeks after we bought her she died. She was too young when webought her (we didnt know a single thing about rabbits), but she was ahappy little bunny always licking us and "purring", I still miss her,but she is what got me to love these little rabbits. And nowI have Mocha who has a personality all her own! I'm hooked onthese guys and planning to get another in a few months!:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back