Why are my neutered boys still acting like boys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
Ok, as most of you know I have been trying to find homes for some of my bunnies due to my husband being activated in a few months. As I have not had much response, I was hoping to mabye bond a few of them to at least reduce the number of cages I have to feed and clean.

I have tried a couple of different pairings, and I don't think I have had any luck, but I'm also new at this. The best ones so far were Buzz and Charity. Charity is definatly the dominant personality, all she had to do was turn and look at Buzz and he would put his head down and sit still until she went back to nibbling hay. But he kept circling around behind her, and then started trying to mount her.

When I tried with Sophie and Gabe, he instantly jumped on her and was trying to breed, just as excited as any intact male would be. And of course, she was totally NOT interested! So is this jsut dominance, or have these guys not lsot thier hormones yet? Buzz has been neutered longer than Gabe, but even Gabe was done something like two and half months ago.

How long ago were they neutered? It takes all of the sperm and hormones about 6 weeks to die, so maybe they are still a little hormonal?

And it could be dominance too..

How old were they when they were neutered? Sometimes older boys do it out of habit. And sometimes older boys take longer to be free of the hormones. And it could be dominance too... Poor Charity and Sophie...

Well, Buzz was done at least four-five months ago, but he was over a year when it was done. Gabe has been done for probably two months, and I have no idea how old he is.

Buzz, BTW, was a virgin when he was neutered-Poor guy! Gabe I believe had been a breeder before he was rescued.

My Cloud was done in July and he is still very hormonal, aggressive, tail raised, spraying, etc. I don't know why he is still like that, but if yours are doing it, maybe it is something that happens to the more 'alpha' bunnies.

My guy has recently been bonded to a couple of does, so it can work if you have the right bunny, but it's easier said than done.

I don't have any advice, just sympathy. Good luck.

Yeah, I was trying to think what other combos I could try, the thing is if I bond one of my extra special bunnies (yes, I have favorites, I can't help it!) with one that I would beable to letgo to a new home, then I have to keep them both, cause of course you can't break them up. I am jsut getting tense over all this, my husband is leaving at almost the same time as I will be having the new baby, and I jsut can't figure out how I can take care of three kids, seven cats, a dog, and 26 rabbits all by myself. :(

Latest posts

Back