why Alfalfa for young 'uns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundrakatiebean

Reaction score
I know and have been told that until a rabbit is a certain age you should feed them alfalfa pellets and/or hay. I was just wondering why that is. I assume it's because it has more protein than timothy for growing muscles. Just was curious.

Alfalfa has a lot more of bunch of different nutrients. Protein is a big one. But Alfalfa also has high calcium which is great for growing baby bones but an adult can't use all that calcium and it often ends up as 'bladder sludge' which is not a good thing. Alfalfa also has a lot of calories and it's easier for a bunny on Alfalfa to get chubby (versus feeding the same amount of Timothy).

Timothy (and other grass hays)has nutrients, but it is a lot less in most areas meaning the rabbit is not getting an over abundance of calcium and calories that it doesn't need.

It also has a lot of calcium in it for strong healthy bones

To feed an older bunny Alfalfa hay can cause a lot of problems because of all the calcium, and it also makes bunnies put on a lot of weight if that is the only hay that is fed

cheryl

Back