Who's crazy enough to have 7 bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haven711

Reaction score
I must ask. We have Haven(male) and Ellie(female) who get along really well. Haven was neutered on Jan 17th and right after that we had unexpected litter on Jan 27th. We didn't know Ellie was pregnant. She delivered fivebabies in the corner of living room one night.All the babies survivied and they are doing well. We thought we would give them away and keep one or two, but we changed our mind and decided to keep them all.We've watching them growing upand can't decide who to keep and who to give away. Each one of them isso precious. I'm sure you know the feeling. Am I making a wrong decision?It takes more effortto clean up after them, but so far so good. Please let me know if you havesuggestions or advice. Thanks!!!!

first of all, HOLY RABBIT! thats alot of fresh vegetables haha
second i deffinatly know the feeling i have a zoo in my home of not just 1 species of an animal haha i have 2 rabbits at the moment both females though. its so hard to look at them and see the really cute stupid things they do and then just give them away. and dont worry about feeling like a hoarder because your not, you just care! haha to me 7 bundles of joy seems like a lot of work bnut if you think you are prepared to handle all the training and clean up go right ahead!! more power to ya!:vacuum::bunnydance:

Thanks. Maybe we care too much. I don't think we can find anyone who will take care of them like we do. I need to post some pictures, so people know what I'm dealing with.

definitely! pictures always make me happy! id take one if i could i had to get my two i have now used to each other lol working out well actually.

Hi, are they indoor or outdoor bunnies? Will you get them all spayed & neutered? Very important or you will end up with way too many bunnies. Can you afford the Vet bills if they get sick? Can you afford all the hay, greens, pellets....? Do you have the room for that many bunnies? Will you be able to bond some of them?

When I was married we had 6 bunnies at one time 2 bonded pairs and 2 singles. This was alot of work. I did most of the work. He helped out some but I usually had to ask him to do something. Then we got separated (still living in the same house though) when he found a bunny running around outside in a mall parking lot on a very hot day. Well then i had 7 Bunnies to take care of. After doing this for a few months (he had moved out at the time to the witches house) I finally put my foot down. He took Fluffy but I still had to do everything for the 6.

When we decided to sell the house I made him take one bonded pair. Now I'm in an apartment with 4 bunnies. It is alot of work and it does put a strain on my social/travelling life BUT I choose to have the Bunnies in the first place so they are my responsibility. I would NEVER EVER give them away because I felt a little stressed by having them. They all in their own way bring me alot of happiness.

Sorry I didn't mean to write a story here but just wanted to explain that it can be done but it is also alot of work and sometimes alot of money.

Susan:)

I took in several rabbits from bad situations and before I knew it I had 12. Lol. I loved them all but I could not keep 12 because I couldn't afford it. I think it's important to consider the financial aspect because it's probably better to offer one or two the best than to have more and offer them less. That's how I see it anyway. Obviously, if you can afford it, have the space, and love having a whole bunch, knock yourself out. I definitely wouldn't consider you crazy. Hehehe. :)The wee bun in your avatar is adorable btw.

Ahh, I remember when we used to panic over 7 pet rabbits. Right now, we have 11, and we have only one pair that live together, so that is 10 cages.

We really have only had 4 that we planned on keeping, the others have all been surrendered to us or come with some sob story or another and we just could not turn them away. And really, taking care of them really isn't hard at all, it sort of just becomes routine.

If you think you can afford them all and handle them, I don't see why not. At least you know they are in a good home. Just don't take anymore in.

I fostered a mama bunny with 6 babies- 2 boys and 4 girls. ( Original enclosure was a 5' by 6' pen)

At 10 weeks, I had to separate the boys from the mama and the girls. This meant there now were 2 enclosures to house them - 5' by 6' original pen and a separate 4' by 4' pen.

At 12 weeks, the boys were neutered and the mama bunny was separated from the baby girls and was spayed. 4 enclosures- a separate cage for mama, a split pen for the boys and the original enclosure for the baby girls.

At 13 weeks mama bunny was no longer on cage rest, so a new pen was set up. The divider was removed from the boys' pen. 3 enclosures - 2 pens 4' by 4' and the original 5' by 6'

At 14 weeks, the baby girls weren't ready for spaying, but they began to fight, so their enclosure was divided with 2 girls on each side of the divider.

At 16 weeks, 2 of the baby girls were spayed and each needed a cage set up. The remaining 2 girls began fighting, so they occupied the original enclosure with its divider. 6 enclosures- 2 exercise pens: one for mama, one for the boys; 2 cages for the girls on post op cage rest; and the original, now divided enclosure.

Since I was fostering, bunnies began to be adopted at this point, so I didn't have to continue to add additional enclosures.

My point is that once the babies reach adolescence, you may find yourself needing to set up several separate enclosures to house them. After they are spayed and neutered, you may be able to re-bond them, but you may not be able to re-establish the single family unit. You could end up with 3 pairs and a single; 2 pairs and a trio; or with your original pair and 5 singles (just of few of the many possibilities).

Until you have re-bonded them, you will have to house them separately and figure out separate times or areas for free run/playtime.

Do you have space/time/energy to maintain that many separate enclosures?

If they each had their own individual cage outside thats not a big deal. But getting all of them spayed like asap to keep in the house. No. You will be in big trouble if you don't keep them seperated or something.

and While baby bunnies are cute, adorible, and lots of fun.... they don't stay babies.

I'm crazier. Single with nine rabbits of my own. Three bonded pairs and three singles. Plus one foster. So really it is ten. Most I had at once with fosters was twelve.

I agree you have to be able to afford to keep such a large number. Fortunately I have a job that pays well. I don't spend hardly anything on myself. The rabbits are spoiled.

One thing is that I do limit my time spent with my family to overnight visits. I just don't trust anyone elseto care for my babies.

I have had 2 - 15 at one time or another. I currently have 8 and do NOT plan on having more than a pair and a single or trio but no more than 3 once my guys die.

If you can afford it and want to go for it. Very possible. Only you know what works for you and your family.

Thanks for so many good advices!! We do have space, time and money. Yes, cleaning up after them has become routine real quick. I'm planning on separate them as they're growing and spay/neuter asap. First we will have two separate cages for boys and girls. We will make sure they have plenty of playing time out of cage fairly. I just want to see how other people were doing with several bunnies. Anyway, here's the pictures. It's really hard for us to part with them since we've been watching them growing up.

IMG_6174.jpg

IMG_6340.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6332.jpg

IMG_6365.jpg

IMG_6627.jpg

IMG_6642.jpg

IMG_7613.jpg

IMG_7631.jpg

IMG_7433.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

OMG CUTENESS overload. :heartbeat::inlove::love::hearts:big kiss::heartbeat::hearts

I can see why you are keeping all of them.

More pictures please. :biggrin:

Susan:)

Thanks!!! Not only they are cute, but also all of them behave so well. None of them are wild or cranky. They are quiet, reserved and friendly. Most of all, they get along each other really good. I'm sure that'll change as they grow up though.

oh I feel your pain! Right now I have put an ad on craigslist for homes for my babies but I have gotten some strange replies and it makes me want to just hold them closer and not give them up but what is best for them is for them to be the center of attention of their own family not getting love split 9 ways. It would be so easy to keep them but I don't think it would be the best for them.

We've rescued 27 so far and had 18 all at the same time. Had to close off the front of my shop and move all my power tools next door. Then put in heat and air as the bunnies get treated better than me! It's just hard to say no or part with anyone.

Latest posts

Back