Whole litter cut down food intake

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogCity

Reaction score
I have a whole litter of English spot rabbits (7) about seven weeks old. They have been getting unlimited pellets and hay, and some greens everyday (because that is what mama gets). Up until yesterday they have been eating like crazy, about eight cups of pellets a day and tons of hay. Today I noticed that their intake has slowed down. When I go out to feed in the morning they are usually chomping at the bit, today they had no interest. They are on a autowater system so I cannot be sure how much they are drinking. I changed the bottom of the cage so I could track poop output and a water bottle to see if they are drinking. Any other suggestions? thoughts?

Hmm that doesn't sound good. Have they just started with getting greens, or have they been eating greens since they started with pellets?
Have you changed their pellets at all?
I would get some rolled oats and see they will eat that. ;) But introduce them slowly, and mix them with the pellets. Offer lots of hay as well.
It sounds like it could be Enterotoxemia to me. Did you just wean them recently?

Emily

I also raise spots and we don't give greens until they are older because they could get sick. I also recommend oats and I also use Cheerios that usually works for my babies best of luck

I would check the watering system and also give them a crock of water. A rabbit won't eat if it can't drink.

Things are not looking that great. I added some oats to the mix, gave them fresh hay, put in water bottles so I could see if they were drinking. As to tonight they nibbled at the oats but have not drank any water.

I give Nutri Cal when rabbits are off their feed - any sign of mucoid enteropathy, I'dput them on a broad spectrum antibiotic.

They were ready for market in about two more weeks, so instead of waiting to see what happened I just took care of it myself. If it happens again with her next litter I will post again.

Latest posts

Back