Who would take care of your bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
Has anyone given any thought to whowould take care of your rabbits if something happened to you? Lastnight as I was watching Sparky and Scooter playing in the living roomand thinking about how much I loved them, I suddenly had the thought"what would happen to my girls if Pat and I were to die at the sametime?"

I've come up with a tentative plan. First, I set up a trust fund forSparky and Scooter and Pat and I each take out small life insurancepolicies ($5,000-$10,000 each) and make the trust the beneficiary. Iwould have a trusted family member as trustee. I would have to findsomeone I trust who would be willing to take the girls in the event ofour death. I figure a trust fund of that size would take care of alltheir needs for the rest of their lives. The caregiver would also get amonthly stipend for taking care of them. Whatever money was left in thetrust after the buns passed it would be donated to a rabbit charity.

Is that going a little overboard? What are your plans?

I have actually had to face this because I havehad to face death a few times due to varying illnesses and stuff, andit's a reality that I have to live with every day.

I wrote, in a letter, what I wanted to happen to them. This involvedthings like spaying/neutering, putting certain buns together, i.e.bonding them (I know who gets on well with whom), where they wouldlive, instructions for what they have each day.

I keep a calendar with all the times they have been changed and stuff on, so that anyone can work from that.

My parents would take care of them. My bunnies would not get the humancontact thatway though, because my parents work (and due toillness I can't, so I'm at home everyday, lol, hence the fast growingpost count), but they would have company with other bunnies which wouldbe grand.

I also considered which ones would pine for me if I died, which is onlyone now, but I also mentioned in the letter about getting him put downso that he is with me and doesn't get depressed or anything. That isdown to my parents, but they would probably decide to keep him alive.

I also mentioned where I want them all buried, who with, and what roseto put on top. Also I mentioned days that they need to treat thebunnies, birthdays, things like that.

Oh, and they can use my money saved for whatever they want.

I've got it all in hand, lol.

In the event of my untimely demise, I wouldbequeth the care of my logamorph buddies to my parents. They love Lokiand I'm pretty sure they would take care of him in the event I shoulddie.

t. and loki

Having cancer has made me think big time aboutwhere all my items and personal belongings would go. So, I wrote up awill. I wrote everything to my daughter, but if in any event I doreally pass on, my younger sister will be taking over my rabbits, she'sreally good with them.

If anything was to happen to me Bangbang wouldgo to my parents, they adore her and treat her so well. If anythinghappened to them, then to my middle older sister she loves Bangbang too.

If anything happens to my husband and I, my mom gets all my animals. Now if something happened to her.

Lets see....

My lizards go to my cousin. He would care for them the best.

Samantha Jane goes to Amanda aka binkies.

Ringo Starr to the lady who runs the rescue. She is the only one I would trust with him that is near by. Also my dog.

The others I am still not sure. I know people within the rescue would take them.

I need to figure that out and get it written down.:ponder:

Edit: I know who. Now need to talk to her.

Eh, that would be very difficult for my pets since I live whith my parents and my sis.

My parents hate my turtles becuase they are stinky and not to mention,wild, and allways whanting me to "throw them into the lake" - I caughtthem when they where hatchlings, so being hand fed and depending onhumans for allmost 5 years - it wouldn't be too bright for their futurein a big murky lake. If I was to die, most likely my parents would tossthem into the lake. Very upsetting.
But if I was to speak out my will, I'd give my turtles to a good friend of mine who's extrememly intelligant on reptiles.

As for my buns, I dunno. I don't trust other people whith my rabbitswhile I'm gone for along time - especially if I never return!! Myparents lack knowledge on rabbits and would probably forget to fill upCocoa's water bottle(He drinks alot.), or brush bun when he's shedding,and not to mention they have more attention to dogs and cats. The bunswill be often ignored and would eventually become depressed anddevelope issues.
Not mention, my sister will probably lose him.
If I was to speak out my will, I'd give them both to my brother. Myniece loves my bunnies and rushes to the hutch in my room to pet themevery time she comes over screaming "Bunnies, bunnies, bunnies,bunnies!!" They'd be overwhelmed whith love, and she knowsthat they are gental and that bun-bun will bite if aggrevatedor chased by dogs - but Cocoa and her are a pair!!

As for my kitty - he'll be excepted by my parents. He's allmost 11years old. He wouldn't do good in another home - infact might run away!!

Latest posts

Back