Who to contact

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinf8936

Reaction score
Just came back from the vet. When I got there there was a woman coming in with her kids and a small rabbit in an aquarium. I started talking to her about the rabbit and found out that her husband had won it at the local 4-H fair. It was from a vendor they had there. They wanted to keep the rabbit and was there to get it fixed. She was trying to find out all the information she could on them,

She said a vendor was giving away rabbits and other animals as prizes. I cannot believe a 4-H fair would allow this. There also is close to the 4-H grounds a Bargain Barn (indoor sales stuff) that has Dutch rabbits for sale.

So the question is, who could I contact to see about getting this mess stopped. In the state across the river several years ago one of the stations got into the goldfish wins at the state fairs and found it was not legal to give away any animal in the state. Now the state has to enforce the law and the practice stopped.

ed

I would contact the main 4-H people, local animal control, and rabbit rescues in the area.

Maybe people on here involved in 4-H can help you out a bit more than I can, as I am not in or know much about 4-H.

edwinf8936 wrote:
She said a vendor was giving away rabbits and other animals as prizes. I cannot believe a 4-H fair would allow this. There also is close to the 4-H grounds a Bargain Barn (indoor sales stuff) that has Dutch rabbits for sale.
I don't mean to sound rude or anything when I say this - but why are you trying to stop this? Let me explain....

4-H fairs are shows for rabbits, etc. The people who go there are often LOOKING for rabbits along with the people who are showing the rabbits. Frequently (depending upon state laws) there are also "drawings" where people buy tickets to try and win certain rabbits that the breeders have donated (to help raise funds for the 4H group) and then they put the tickets they've bought into the container for that particular rabbit. But they do this after willingly BUYING the tickets and deciding which rabbit they want to try and "win".

Perhaps this is what the lady was referring to - it is a common practice at 4H shows and even some ARBA shows and it is a way for the club to raise money from people who would like to get a rabbit - and also a way for the breeders to help support the club (as they usually only donate a "pet quality" rabbit).

I don't see what is wrong with this since rabbits aren't being handed out as prizes to people who are going to something and expecting something else (example - a school fair where they hand out goldfish or baby bunnies, etc).

Hope this helps.

My Tobi was a fair prize. Not sure if it had anything to do with 4H, though. She got dumped at the shelter a couple weeks later, because the kid had bought the ticket but the parents didn't want the rabbit.

I'm don't really like the raffle system, either, but I think there should be regulations on it. Such as, they shouldn't be selling tickets to kids.

I've seen these raffles at various shows and it is usually pet quality rabbits that breeders donate to the raffle because they are not showable. I personally think children should not be able to enter the raffle without a parents permission but all in all it's not a horrible thing. As Tinysmom stated the people at the shows are there for RABBITS. I would rather see pet quality animals on the raffle table, than see healthy animals culled for dq's.

I think Tinysmom has a good point. I got Hershey from a pet store. I know pet stores are supposed to be "evil". But Hershey markings are perfect - almost! I bet he was bred as a show rabbit and he didn't qualify so he was sold to me via a pet store.

I'm glad he was! And, as Tinysmom said, isn't that better than being culled?

If you are concerned you can contact the local 4-H office to express you concern. However I know that many of the local 4-H fairs around here often have vendors that donate/give away animals (rabbits, chickens, lambs, etc) as raffle prizes. Some people will get raffle tickets just to support the group- and if they win and don't want the animal they donate it back to be raffled again. Other people enter the raffles because they want a chance at winning a pet. My kids got a couple of nice little bantam roosters that way.

Back