Who raises the hamsters? Imbrium?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaben

Reaction score
Hubster and I were checking out a fish store and they also sell critters. Terrible pet store. There were these little hamsters and they beat the crap out of one and of course I ended up with him.

I have some questions that need answering about this little critter. I think he's a robo dwarf hamster. He was just labeled "dwarf"
I say he I really have no idea what it is but it's hurt, tiny, and I have no idea what to do with it.

Name is Rhodey so he should live.

It looks like they tried to chew off it's back feet and he has a fresh wound on his head/ear. His little right back leg is missing most toes and he doesn't walk on it. I think there is some wounds on his under side but he's so dang little and scared I dont know how to pick him up without hurting him or having him squeak at me

I've been bit by a alot of things but those little rodent teeth bother me. I pick the Gerbils up but they're much, much bigger.

He is going to the vet tomorrow but I have no idea what they can even do for him. Can I put bacitracin on his little head wound? I don't think he'll lick it he's not really in the mood for much.

Also I gave him fleece to sleep/walk on. I put him in a very small container so he wouldn't move around much

Flipping heck! I'd try gently bathing or swabbing the wounds with saline. If they are a good vet, used to seeing little animals, I'm sure there's lots they'll be able to do for him. I hope it is a good vet.

Can you get a picture? I don't know what bacitracin is. Saline should be fine at this point. Has he eaten anything?

yes he's eaten and drank water. I gave him little crocks because at the pet store he was having a hard time standing up to drink. I'll see if I can get pictures now. Do I just set him on the counter and take like a q-tip to him?

Hos do I pick him up? I've been sliding him in and out of the little enclosure

q-tip is the weirdest word ever. Just a side note. :p
A cotton ball will also do the trick. You just really want to clean them out, remove any pus, and the saline will kill any germs.
Yep, or in your hand. I'm not sure how small hamsters are, but you could gently scoop him into your hands. I doubt he'll be used to handling, so keep it to a minimum to avoid stress, but he should be fine just sitting in your hand. Then just provide him with some warm, soft foods and cover his cage.

rhodey-006-6886.jpg

Mm, yeah, I'm thinking they might want to amputate that second one a bit. He should be fine, I know a rat who had to have most of her feet amputated due to serious burns, and she manages fine on stumps. Yeah, the saline stings, but I think it's best to do it. I'd put something soothing on those feet, like coconut oil, or neosporin(pretty sure that's easy to get hold of over there), that should help. Coconut oil is magic, it not only heals, but it is also an antibiotic, and anti fungal. My skin reacts to some things, and it is very good at soothing it.

I should probably head off to classes now. So, just put something soothing on those legs, and then keep him quiet and dark.

I'm sorry I can't be any help. I have had hamsters in the past as pets but never an injured one. He probably is a robo dwarf hamster as they are very tiny. That is the only kind I know of that is that small. I don't know if it will help but I used to go to a forum when I had my lizards called Kingsnake.com They have forums for all animals. I know there were a lot of knowledgable lizard people on there. I'm not sure about hamsters. It all depends on the animal, some forums were very busy others were not.

Thanks ariana for the tips. I'll head out and look for coconut oil and dig up some neosporin. Have a good day!

I'll check out that site. Anything is helpful at this point!

If you get coconut oil, don't get the kind for cooking, I have some I bought on amazon and its one of the really awesome ones. It is organic extra virgin Coconut oil, so aim for organic or extra virgin definitely.

I went to the site and skimmed through. I didn't see any posts for cuts or injuries such as he has. I did do some searching online. Saline from what I have read is a good idea. If you put anything on the wounds just keep an eye on the tiny guy. I did read of someones hamster injuring it's foot badly. They placed ointment on and later came back to the hamster chewing it's foot off. I'm not sure. It may have just been chewing knowing that it would be best to lose the foot. It had been suggested more than once not to have it in with normal bedding such as shaved wood because it could hurt the hamster by poking in the wounds which does make some since. It was recommended to place paper towels or toulet paper in there especially unscented and undyed. Also, provide it with somewhere to hide which makes sense because they like to anyways and I'm sure in his condition and knew home he will feel extra vulnerable.

Also make sure he stays hydrated. I did read that this seems to happen fairly regularly especially with inexperienced owners or pet store situations. He very well may pull through. Tough little buggers.

I put a little neosporin on it without the stuff in it. The stuff we use on the rabbits. He's eating, drinking, pooing. I put him on fleece and built a little area he can hide in. He's covered up for now.

Stupid. It was too easy to spot that he was hurt and there was a gal cleaning cages in that room! Whatever that pet store is on our ban list and I wrote negative reviews for them. I hate that there isn't more you can do. They had over crowded tanks and fish with wounds. He was the only land mammal I saw with such wounds. They had an ugly little rabbit I was looking at in with too many guinea pigs. If you own an animal you are responsible for it! Take care of it! Dont just let it be tortured. Buttholes

The vet might give you some antibiotics to help heal him up. Poor baby. I feel so bad for him! Thanks Kaley for taking him in!
I think cleaning it and putting neosporin was the right thing to do, its what I always do for open wounds and such on animals. Thats always my first step. Are there any electrolytes that you can put in his water, to help him feed better? I give my chickens electrolytes when they aren't doing well.

I don't think that rabbits and guinea pigs should be together. ?

It's an old misnomer that they can be put together. Most everything now says not to as it's to easy to hurt the guinea pig. Rabbits are a little more rambuncious than they are.

I've been googeling and haven't found much on the little creatures. He's eating Gerbil food now. What other fruits and vegetables can he have? When he gets to feeling better how much space is he going to need?

I feel kind of bad as I really dont need another critter taking up space. Mom thankfully hasn't said anything and just accepts it. But with my husband and crew it's kind of full around here. He is pretty darling maybe I can con Jennifer into taking him. (hehehe)

Latest posts

Back