who is the charlie?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitlover06

Reaction score
Ok, so I have two broken parents, black/white they are netherland dwarf and I am wondering which of these 3 bunnies is a charlie, or if they arent? I am not sure...
Let me know what you think!:biggrin:

this one has spots behind the ears

i'm no expert but i remember reading somewhere that a charlie is a broken with less than 10% dark fur on them and false charlies are charlies that have the coloring but no genetics...
since you said both the parents are brokens, perhaps all of them are charlies? lol

p.s i've been reading up on rabbit coloring since my rabbit gave birth yesterday, its all very interesting stuff haha

The 2nd one is efinitely a charlie, and actually looks more like a Dwarf Hotot.

They all have less than 10% color. Sometimes it is hard to tell which ones are actually genetic charlies and which are not. We need someone who has more experience with broken colors to answer this.

talked to a breeder, she said that I wont know if its a true charlie unless I breed it, and she said its best just to keep consistant patterned bunnies and not to bother with these ones...so I'll just sell them as pets :)

Well to get better brokens and less charlies you need to breed broken to solid and yes you will have some solids in the litter but there will be less of a chance of having a charlie but it can still happen.......Toby

lelanatty wrote:
The 2nd one is efinitely a charlie, and actually looks more like a Dwarf Hotot.

They all have less than 10% color. Sometimes it is hard to tell which ones are actually genetic charlies and which are not. We need someone who has more experience with broken colors to answer this.
don't false charlies only pop up when breeding a solid to a broken?

if the parents are broken and broken they are all genetic charlies?

They are all charlies.... Keep one, breed it to a solid, and you will get properly marked brokens....

a charlie is a charlie because it has two broken genes... So when you breed it to a solid, which has two solid genes, all you get is 100% properly marked brokens.... Being as both parents can only contribute one type of gene, either a broken or a solid, and a properly marked broken has one broken and one solid gene.

rabbitlover06 wrote:
Which one would you guys keep?
I like the first one. It has two solid ears, a butterfly and eye circles... so I guess it's more complete than the others. But body type (when they are older) should play a part too.

Back