white spot on Zack's eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittsbuns

Reaction score
Guys I found a spot on Zack's eye today does anyone know what this might be? I'm really scared. My phone was turned off today and my computer will be soon. Is Zack in any danger if so I'll work out payments with the vet all do anything I have to to make sure he's OK. :sickbunny:

I'll try to he's not much on me getting to close. I saw it when he was begging for a treat. I might have to wait till tomarrow I think my battery's are dead in my camera. Thanks

There was a shelter bunny a few years ago who had a white spot on her eye. It looked so much like a piece of lint that I actually tried to get it off and then realized it was a white spot inside of the eye.

From what I have read it is an asymptomatic sign that the bunny has been infected with ec.

Now that may or may not be what is on your buns eye. It could also be pus or almost anything else.
Since many many buns have been exposed to ec in utero it doesn't necessarily mean the the rabbit has active ec
So don't freak out as the rabbit described above was adopted by shelter staff and is still well and still has the white spot.

Did it look like eye mucus? My bunnies get "sleep" or "eye crusties." When I took Benjamin outside,I think he got allergies because one eye got all gunked up with mucus that went away after a little while. It could also be damage to the eye if it looks like it's actually inside the eyeball itself--cataract, a scratch, etc--so you should try to determine that. Try rinsing the eye with a sterile saline solution, like the kind for contact lenses.

Just wanted to make a comment on Angieluv's comment about eyes and EC. That is a symptom that very few know about. Unfortunately, when you see that, the EC is well advanced. Our namesake, Sabrina, had an eye condition. At that time, nobody knew anything about EC....all her problems were diagnosed as "snuffles"....and that is why I absolutely detest that term. It was so wrong. Had we known then what we know now, things might have been different. But back to the eye....EC rabbits are prone to cataracts. Sabrina had a "snow fall"....crystals were actually filling the pupils of her eyes. It looked like white dust in her very black eye. Had she survived, she would have gone totally blind.

This thread also allows me to touch on another eye problem...ulcers.Theseulcers can appear as whitish blisters on the cornea....staining the eye is the appropriate diagnosis.These little boogers are very painful and can lead to sight loss. This is one of those cases when using the wrong medication can bring devastating results. The use of steroids with ulcers can lead to unrepairable damage to the cornea. Ulcers do require aggressive pain meds and support.

Just a little information related to this hopefully resolved issue.

Randy

Thanks for the clarification, Randy.
I based my response on one shelter rabbit without symptoms. I didn't know the severity of eye problems with ec

Latest posts

Back