White Ear Flakes - What is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
I hope it isn't mites. I don't know how he would have gotten mites (he's never outside) and he's been at my grandmother's house for about a month - and her place is as clean as a whistle. Today I noticed that his ears were speckled with white flakes and when I scratch his ears with my nails, more white flakes and hair come off. What is this? The rest of his body is fine - smooth and glossy fur.

Sounds like it could be mites. Best thing to do would be to take your rabbit to the vet. The vet can do a skin scraping to find out for sure it there are mites. Revolution is often used to treat mites. Sometimes a vet may use ivermectin. Unfortunately the regular Advantage works on fleas but not on mites.

Well it's kind of hard for me to go to the vet at this moment in time...I am in the process of moving :pullhair: Is there a safe topical I can get to rub on his ears?

It can wait till you move.

Good to know about Advantage (I use Revolution). One thing to keep in mind about Ivermectin: it can have adverse effects on Dutch or Vienna marked rabbits. So need to be certain of your rabbits' breed before using it.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Whenever I have to use ivermectin on Sweetie, I always watch her because I don't know her breed history, other than she has lionhead and lop in her, she could have other breeds in her that I don't know. That is why I watch her for any side effects from ivermectin.

If your vet has seen your rabbit before and you call them they may write a prescription for revolution without another exam. Unfortunately for you it's prescription only from your vet because it also treats heartworm and we like to test dogs for heartworm before treating them.

If your vet has seen your rabbit before and you call them they may write a prescription for revolution without another exam. Unfortunately for you it's prescription only from your vet because it also treats heartworm and we like to test dogs for heartworm before treating them.

Good idea...our last exam may have been over a year ago however (and that was an emergency visit)...I'll call and ask.

How much revolution do you give to a rabbit? And how do you give it to them?

Your vet will know how much to give your rabbit. It is a topical application between the shoulder blades. I have rabbits under 5 lbs. When Pudden got revolution, he got .12cc of revolution and I used the mauve colored tube. The weight of your rabbit depends on the color of the tube you use. Pudden is 3.2lbs so I used the mauve colored tube.

Back