Which witch sold which sandwich?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyLOVEABLES!!

Reaction score
Helloo

This problem i have can get annoying.. I have two black bunnies... which some times i cant tell between.. oh my oh my tell me im a bad mommy.. Lou is the browner-ish kind and toula is the darker one... I can like 98% of the time but sometimes i cant... like the lights can change their fur colour etc.. mostly their personality helps but i have gottem them mixed up a few times b4 and when i dnt know hu is who i just guess.. :p

Well my question is what can i do to tell them apart? isnt there like some sort of bunny collar? lol.. please help. i dnt wantmy babbies mixed up lol.

Here's a pictre..

DSC04617.jpg

they're not brown but its the sun/light.. you see! oh and they look unconfy cz this wasnt me holding them.

Thank you
Prisca :pinkbouce:

Ear tattooing is common in show rabbits, but I don't know if you need some kind of license to do it. You may just be allowed to tattoo their names in their ears but I'm not sure how that all works...

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

WOW really?
I dnt think i can find anyplace to do that hmm....
Maybe i can get a like bandana kinda thing? put it around her stomach? neck? foot?

OH MAN I DONT KNOW!

Your right - They do look very alike! Isn't there any different markings anywhere, like under one of their bellies?

That would be cool if you found one becuase it would be like twins where their mum is the only one that can tell them apart!!

permenant marker in the ear is common for babies. You could just reapply it as it wears off (Tony had a P for a long time in his ear).......

Yeah, the marker in the ear would probably work! I had three identical looking pet rats, and I had to mark their tails with different colored permanent marker so I could tell them together :biggrin2: Like you, I could often tell them apart based on personality, but not always... Your girlies are very cute!

We've used fingernail polish on a toenail for puppies before - but I'm afraid bunnies would love to chew that off! :p

Livestock markers/"paint" sprays would work aswell. Or get some food colouring and dip one of they're ears in it...will stand out like a sore.....ear! :p

ETA: Just looked at the pic again, might work better if you colour the feet as they are a light colour.

I have a friend with two newly adopted identical lops as well.

Ear marking is great but with lops it's not immediatly seen. I did that with two REWs I has once because they were so similar. Easy to tell with upright ears.

Anyway, back to my friend - she opted to take some clippers and shave down (not bald) a small section on one bunnys back so it is very obvious upon looking or touching the rabbits - which is which.

i'd either tat, permie marker or doggie nail polish them.

LadyBug wrote:

Those work too, but in my friends case.. she's extremely visually impared and her 14 year old daughter is great, but Joyce wants to make sure she can tell the rabbits apart (going by touch) in case meds are ever needed.

We nixed collars, a harness, a small thread or yarn around the neck - nail polish wears and may not be distinguishable by touch ( and will her daughter remember to reapply before it wears off? and if so how safe is the dog stuff for rabbits...), didn't want to dab anything on an ear that could mat a bit of fur for bunny self-grooming reasons...

I live extremely close so I am available to help at any time but at the same time, "hands on" ID will help Joyce be independant with her new babies.

Leaf wrote:
LadyBug wrote:

Those work too, but in my friends case.. she's extremely visually impared and her 14 year old daughter is great, but Joyce wants to make sure she can tell the rabbits apart (going by touch) in case meds are ever needed.

We nixed collars, a harness, a small thread or yarn around the neck - nail polish wears and may not be distinguishable by touch ( and will her daughter remember to reapply before it wears off? and if so how safe is the dog stuff for rabbits...), didn't want to dab anything on an ear that could mat a bit of fur for bunny self-grooming reasons...

I live extremely close so I am available to help at any time but at the same time, "hands on" ID will help Joyce be independent with her new babies.
i was wondering about that. i asked the owner of the store where i saw the doggie polish and she said it should be fine(oh, she said after a they're a year, i think;)). i was thinking about getting some for J back when he was Violet. now....he's a boy, i don't think so.........:p:?

sarazwagerman : kitten collar wont work, they'll just chew it off like wat they did with their harness.. :p

Becca: sadly they dont.

Bo B Bunny: when the groom them selfs/each other wouldnt it be like poison for them? and they're blak the permanent marker wount come out.. rite?

Prisca :pinkbouce:

P.s thnx 4 all the sugesstions i'll try them all =]

Yes, black permenant marker.... you could also use a hair dye or marker......

Feeling? I would clip the hair off a paw or something that would identify it easier.

i :heartsthe nail polish idea, but for practicality sake, i'd tat one or both of them. you could register them maybe and have them tat them for you if they're purebred. i think, i don't know that much about registering and stuff:tongue

Merin and Nessa are very hard to tell apart when I they used to be housed together. I found that Merin's nose is a bit darker than Nessa. But I guess that doesn't help much. I think sharpie is best but I really don't know...

Aly!:tongue

I think I like the cut of hair ofthe paw the best =]

i'll do that staight after school... Im at school.. lol we'er suppose to be doign writting.

HEY! i am!

Latest posts

Back