Which surgery first?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonstanceCoo

Lida-Rose
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, so my little holland lop has a cataract due to e. cuniculi, which I am wondering if I should get removed? And if so, when? She is just under 1 year old and she is an unaltered female, and I wanted get her spayed in January, when my work situation will allow me to spend a more time taking care of her in recovery...

My question is this: which surgery should I do first? I know stress causes e.c. flareups, so I will have her on panacur before her spay... but should I do her cataract surgery BEFORE I do her spay? In my mind, I feel like the stress of the spay might cause her e.c. eye problems to get worse so maybe I wait till after the spay to fix her eye. Or do I fix her eye at all? Her eye looks kinda gross but other that that she seems to function fine other than not being able to see out of her left eye.

Wanted to get people's opinions before I go to the Vet-Opthalmalogist AGAIN (the visits there are like $350 and that's just for the visit, not including treatment or meds!!). Which should I do first to cause the LEAST amount of stress to my dear little bun bun? Spay? Or Cataract surgery?

What I would recommend, if possible, is to do the eye first and if she's handling the anesthesia well, do the spay while she's still under. Ultimately I would ask the vet their advice and make your own decision based off of the information given to you by a professional.

I think if it were me, I would go with the least complicated surgery, being the spay surgery, first.

I think whether or not the eye surgery is needed, would depend on how the eye is at this point. I have read that surgery is likely to be needed at some point, but it may be you can wait on this and just keep it stabilized with meds.
"Without treatment, most affected eyes become phthisical (atrophied) and require enucleation."
http://www.aemv.org/Documents/AEMV%20Journal%20of%20Exotic%20Mammal%20Medicine%20and%20Surgery_June03.pdf
So it may be if your buns eye is stable on meds for now, that you can wait on the eye surgery until it becomes necessary. Is your vet saying the surgery is needed right away because of deterioration of the eye at all?

Latest posts

Back