Which pet(s) do you NOT want to own, and which pet(s) DO you/would you want to own?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't:

1. Snakes I can't feed them animals.
  2. Reptiles won't again because they can live a very long time.
  3. Guinea Pigs won't own again. Love them but not for me.
  4. Ferrets not sure why just wouldn't
Intrested:

1. Rats (learning about.)
  2. Hedgehogs
Will:

1. Rabbits
  2. Dogs
  3. Birds (Finches hopefully soon.)
  4. Gerbil (After guinea pigs.)

Currently own:

cats, dogs, rabbits

Owned in the past:

hamsters, degus, fish, frogs

Would love to own:

horses, more cats, and more rabbits

Would never own:

Rats (sorry rat lovers, they creep me out!), spiders (ICK!!), snakes or other reptiles (DOUBLE ICK!!), chimps, ferrets, fish (too much clean up), birds (see fish)

Wouldn't own:
Snakes- i can't feed them mice or rats.. forzen or alive...
Spiders- ok.. come on.. 8 legs is a little creepy...

Would Own:
Baby Doll Sheep.. Mini Sheep...lol Love em..
Horse... always wanted one..
actually... any farm animal...

Actually Own:
Rats-- Five of em.. and BethM... hows a naked rat.. witha naked tail???lol...
P1020240-1.jpg
Hey lookit... Muh Foot!
Dogs-- Always will have at least one...
Cats-- Once again.. probably always have one..
Cow-- I think Snoopy is it.. naw.. who am i kidding.. there will always be more...lol.. Perks of dating a farm boy.. i get cows...lol

And to all of the cow wanters.. Jersey are actually a different breed.. they average i think 800lbs for cows.. and 1200 for bulls where as a Holstien is 1200 lbs for a cow... they are real little... but there are actually mini breeds.. like herfords... and Lowlines i do belive...

Hm, it's pretty hard to think of pets I would/wouldn't want. I've had pretty much everything growing up, or have had first-hand experience at caring for it at least.

Wouldn't:

-Birds I had to solely care for, especially lovebirds, we have lovebirds and have to leave the floor they're on quite frequently because I can't stand their noise
-Turtles, I tried, just too much work and too much heartache when they get sick/mysteriously die
-Another dog, unless I really found myself in a position that I could get one that was the perfect temperament/size, they're just too much some days, I hate how they have to be involved in every little thing you do. Seriously dogs, I was cleaning sand in a bucket, I wasn't doing something that required all of you to rush over and poke and dig at.
-Reptiles, again, tried, not my thing. I like them, they just get boring quite quickly then you have 10+ years of babysitting this creature that sits there waiting ever so patiently for you to drop another cricket in, I've cared for small snakes, bearded dragons and a few different geckos.

Would:

-Cats, if I could legally and reasonably fill my house to the brim with cats, I would. They're just amazing, evil little animals that are so full of personality and the right mix of independence and cling. I never find myself in a position where the cats are too clingy, unlike the dogs that will try to follow me into the bathroom and cry/whine when I don't let them in. Bathroom time is personal time dogs! Plus they have so much more vocal communication than dogs do. I can have full conversations with cats that can reply in various tones and purrs. Although all of those tones and purrs tend to mean feed me or scratch my head.
-Newts, I hope to get some for my tank some day, but finding them here is next to impossible. It's okay though, the tank is set up and waiting for them if I ever do discover them, I've got some fish and plants helping to keep everything in motion until they come along.
-An active toad, unlike those pac man frogs that just sit there all day long. American toads just look so striking.
-Rats, I've never had any before, but it's one of those weird 'couldn't have any but now can' circumstances. Alberta was an no-rat zone, now Manitoba has them everywhere and they keep looking at me all expectantly. I can't take you home rats!
-Guinea pig, I'm not sure about this one. I see baby ones and they're all cute and little, but then I see an adult in the cage next to it and they're all giant and smelly and I look between them like the baby is trying to trick me into something. I don't like the fact they make so much noise either.

There's probably others, but those are the main ones.

Melissa....come to my house and meet my cat, Juju :p. He is a Siamese mix..so he is very vocal. He will scream "Maaa-maaa-mamaaaaa" if he can't find me in the house. Clingy? Uhm...too clingy sometimes. Wherever I walk I have a Doxie/Min Pin mix and a black kitty following behind.

He is very attached to me. It was really bad a month after we adopted him....so we adopted a 4 month old kitten to be his "brother". We unexpectadly lost Zaide....and that is when Juju's clinginess was at its worst. I couldn't stand him half of the time. We decided to adopt another brother strictly for Juju (even though we were still hurting over Zaide).....and his clinginess went away for a while. Well....Juju and Tibi aren't really "best bud" cats....so Juju is still super clingy to me.

:laughsmiley:

I love my dogs... I can't imagine being without one.
Of course I also have my bunny boy, and while I doubt I'll always have a rabbit, I do love him.

I wouldn't own reptiles... I love cuddling with my pets. Same goes for amphibians.

Never would have birds, it just seems unnatural to keep them, as it would be to keep a horse confined to a stall.

I want:
Horse - I've been riding for several years now and if I could afford it I'd have one.
Another bun - yes =D
Kitty - eventually, when I move out. My family doesn't like cats.

Ugh, I can't stand clingy pets!
That's something I really really love about my rabbits. They're not clingy.

BethM wrote:
Ugh, I can't stand clingy pets!
That's something I really really love about my rabbits. They're not clingy.
Have you met Morgan or Brody?

:laugh:

My whole house is filled with clingy pets. 4 out of 9 rats are clingy, 1 out of 2 cats are, 1 dog, and 2 out of 3 rabbits are!!! So....8 out of 15 pets are annoying in this house!!

I wouldn't really like to own reptiles...especially a snake...

I would love to own a pot belly pig though,and a couple of goats,and a couple of sheep and and and.....yes i would love toown just a small little farm...nothing big though....ohh ohh! and i would love to own a wombat lol...so cute!

Presently have:
Rabbits (duh!) :inlove:
White faced Pionis (small parrot, bonded to my daughter)
2 Gordon Setters :hearts::hearts: and 1 English Setter :hearts:

Have owned:
2 Red Tail Boas, Burmese Python, Ball Python, 8 Iguanas, Bearded Dragons, Jackson Chameleons, Graceful Chameleons,assorted lizards and geckos, etc. (Inadvertently ran a Reptile Rescue for a while before I was married, everyone kept abandoning them at my house.).

Birds: Lesser Sulfur Crested cockatoos, All kinds of Amazon parrots, African Gray, Mollacan cockatoo, Lady Gouldian Finches, Zebra Finches, Military Macaw, Nanday Conurs, Sun Conurs, Love Birds (peach faced and masked), Quaker Parrots and a pair of Grey Cheeked parrolets that stole my heart. (Yeah, ran a bird rescue too, before I had kids... but then both kids were born with asthma.
:tears2:. They all went to really excellent homes, but it hurt so much to part with them.)

SOMEDAY hope to have (when I get my "farm"):
A couple of Llama's
A couple of Goats
More Rabbits...

:sigh: (I can dream!)

Already own:
Pembroke Welsg Corgis
cats
cows
horses
chickens
ducks
geese
guinies
bunnies

Wouldn't own:
snake
reptiles
hamsters
gerbils
cage birds

I hope I'm understanding this thread correctly, so sorry if I'm off tract.

Pets I already own:

1 Holland Lop
3 Domestic Short Hair Cats
1 Stinkpot
1 Eastern Painted
1 Eastern Box Turtle
1 Rat Terrier
1 Pug Mix

Wouldn't Want:

Small/Toy Dogs: They're very hyper and annoying. We own 2 small doggies and I can certianly tell you that they are the biggest pests since the introduction of japanese beetles! Oi!

Large Snakes and other pets that thrive off of live pray:
I can understand feeding a bug or feeder fish to a turtle or frog, but feeding a mouse or rabbit to a large snake I wouldn't be able to handle. They scream when they die, and even though I like snakes, I'm not going to tolerate their "table manners."

Spiders and Insects:
Some people actually keep these animals as pets, and I used to when I was a kid(except spiders, I'm an arachnidphobiac).
But I hate spiders and bugs seem boring, and when they get sick, you can't heal them nor take them to a vet.

Fish:
Just not my thing. My turtles would eat them anyways.

Pets I would like:

I have a bit of an issue with money so it wouldn't be smart for me to obtain any new pets, but if I could, these would be them:

For somebunny to finally make me a grandmother:
I would like to breed Bun Bun and get a baby from him. Pass on the Bun Bun generation, but I haven't found anyone who wanted to.

Eastern Mud Turtle/Stripe-Neck Musk Turtle/Striped Mud Turtle:
I'd like to get either 1 of these guys as a friend for my Stinkpot. His calm personality and grumpy additude doesn't mix very well with his abnoxious and sexually maturing eastern painted brother. It gets on his nerves at times and he will get a bit "nippy."

Red Eared Slider:
A friend for my eastern painted turtle. They have simular personality and would make great pals. Finally he'll have a friend to bask with! Plus I've always liked these guys.

American Pit Bull Terrier:
My favorite breed of dog. They are really smart and athletic. **** shame they have such a bad reputation. Alot of people think that "all pits are bad dogs" when it's not true.:(

Critters I would Not own

amphibians- i have a huge fear of these guys

snakes- cant et pass the long abd slither thing about them

mice- gross me out

rats- they just have gross long tails

cavies- i just dont like them- tried it didnt work out

hamsters/gerbils/degus- did the degus didnt like them domt lik ethe other too

i am not a huge rodent fan

goats- they are nussances

lovebirds- loud but pretty- have 3 breeding pairs as of now

Chickens- i dont like them creep me out

Turkeys- same as chickens

canaries- lovely but nosiey

Quail- dont look right to me

Critters I do own or wouldlike to have

Horses- appaloosas are my favorite i just like the personality and i love the old style appys with the raoched mane and the rat-tail, a big blanket and you got me sold- can be full sized or miniture- own 4 now

Donkeys- i think they are so cute and i love the noise they make

Sheep- barbados- love the color and they shed like a dog no shearing needed also they are pretty cool- own a samll flock

Nubian goats- i know i said i wouldnt own goats but there is something i love about those floppy ears! and because i want to milk a nubian goat- to get goat milk and make cheese- we own a herd of pygmys

Miniture Zebu- they are like a miniture Brahama- cute little things

llamas- appy colored- i loe those bannana ears!- own a painted llama

alpacas- cute! especially the rose grey color

Dogs- Border collies- colors blue merle and tan marking, and red merle and tan marlkings- own one blue merle and tan

Cats- never have to many cats- own a BEW kitty! i would get a ragdoll kitten

Rabbits- i will always have them, mini rex and Harlequins are my all time favorite even though accasionally i do get a different breed-own loats of buns!

Chinchillas- very cool animal- own a pair and a baby!

Ducks- snowy call ducks-my favorite but wouldnt mind having butterscotch, pastel or grey. also Buff ducks are gorgeous!-own calls

geese- would love to raise rare breeds of geese- we now raise pomeranians and sebastopbol- culy feather or wedding geese

peacocks - just really pretty birds

pheasents- pretty and good to eat (sorry if it offends anyone but its my belief)

Coatimundi- really cool! awesome looking

Kinkaju- i have always wanted one since i knew people breed them

sugar gliders- they are soooo cute!

pigeons- i like rollers and fantails-own some

hedgehog- i like spikey critters

skunk- it would be cool-peach color

fox-artic beautiful- want one but would never own one too beautiful and wild to be kept as a pet

Pot Belly and Miniture pigs- i love pigs-own some now- i would get a kunekune

Raccon- have had one and would get one agian- he was rescued

Dana:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back