Which pet(s) do you NOT want to own, and which pet(s) DO you/would you want to own?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Since the rabbit thread and dog thread has been around...it got me thinking of which pet(s) I would and wouldn't want to own...and WHY! You can be specific on the breeds/types! You can list pets that you currently have and pets that you have had and will not own again. Be realistic with your choices....as it isn't all that possible to have a pet elephant :p.

Wouldn't...
Fish - just not my thing.
Amphibians - my fear of frogs/toads might have something to do with this.
Snakes - they eat my "friends" :grumpy:.

Would...
Goats - I love Pygmy goats and had them as a young teen. I would love to have rescue goats in the future.

Horses - One of my first loves. I adore horses and can't wait until I can be around them again...I probably need to start volunteering at the local horse rescue. When I eventually own a horse later in life, I want a Haflinger gelding.

Ferrets - I *think* I'd like a Ferret. I would probably start off my fostering one from a rescue before I took the dive.

Bearded Dragon - These lizards are absolutely gorgeous.

Mice - In the future I may get mice again. I would definitely go to a reputable breeder, as their mice are always hand-tame (unlike pet store mice).

[align=left]Mini Cow - I think they are called Jersey Cows??? I think they are the cutest things!!

Lovebirds - Gorgeous birds. I really love birds, but I just don't think Ryan would be able to get used to their noises.

Cat - Since Juju is part Siamese, I think I want a purebred Siamese from a reputable breeder...in the future. I love the Siamese personality and think they are amazing cats. I would feel bad for not adopting from a shelter, but in return I would definitely donate a couple of hundred dollars (on top of the price that I paid for a purebred Siamese) to a rescue for the kitties.

Rats - I adore rats...they are so special to my heart. Their short life spans really bring you down, though. I think I will always have rats...but I will take regular breaks after each colony dwindles away.

Dogs - I'll always have a dog...I love them to death.

Rabbits - That is a given...I'm sucked in for life!!! In the future I will always have a free range rabbit or two, since I love that Morgan is one....they are much more spirited, IMO.

Hrm...I can't think of any others right now :huh.[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]
[/align]

Wouldn't:
Reptiles. I don't really like them and don't want to deal with feeding food that is dead or a bug.
Large birds. They are too much for me and live for a long time.
Cats. Unless I had the space and dogs that liked cats. A cat just doesn't fit with the pet I have now. If I did get one, I would want a black one.
I would probably not have hamsters again. They are kinda boring and the dwarf ones bite.
Would:
Dogs
Rabbits
Horses I love horse and riding. Just need money and time and a car to drive to horses
Ferret, not 100% sure if I could handle one, but they are awesome
Smaller birds. Only if I have the time, space and knowledge of them.
Guinea Pigs
Goats Pygmy ones are so cute.

Wouldn't own:
Any amphibians (kinda gross me out)
Snakes
Turtles (life span too great)
Wild Animals (such as tigers, lions, monkeys- I hate this practice)

Would own:
Dogs
Cats
Rabbits (of course)
Ferrets
Rats
Mice
Bearded Dragons/Iguanas
Horses
Cattle ( a small number)
Goats
Sheep
Basically any farm animal (I'd love to be able to take in these animals and give them their last home) Horses especially- ones whom can't be ridden (whatever).
Birds (Probably only older large birds due to their lifespan)

Wouldn't own:

-Snakes (not my thing at all, beautiful but I can't do it)
-Guinea pigs (the roommate has two and I used to have a ton as a kid, but... I just can't get the draw any more)
-Birds (they scare me... LOL But some of the bigger ones I've met have been very personable which surprised me)
-Turtles/tortoises (very long lifespan, like Janet said. But I would actually love to adopt an older one who I knew wouldn't outlive me, haha. I love RESs!)
- Gerbils
- Degus (remind me of gerbils)
- Multimammates(er... African soft furred rats?)
- Mice (I love them but they are sooo smelly)
- Sugar Gliders (they seem so difficult to care for, but they are SO adorable)
- Most larger reptiles (iguanas, monitors, and the like)
- Ferrets
- Any sort of arachnid/insect

DO own:

-Dogs
-Rats
-Rabbits

Would Own:
-Cats (I almost wrote Caits, haha)
-Fish (Fishkeeping used to be a HUGE hobby of mine before I went to college, and I just haven't started back up again)
-Chinchillas maybe
-Frogs/toads
-Anoles

I have a few cattle and a small flock of chickens, but they aren't really pets. If I had a hobby farm I'd have goats and pet steers and pet pigs and horses.

Wouldn't:

Snakes. They eat fuzzy critters, and I just couldn't feed it.

Lizards. See above. Although, a friend of mine has this beautiful lizard and he's fascinating to watch. I just wouldn't be able to care for them properly.

Frogs. I don't like the idea of caging frogs. They need to be able to go where they please. I don't think they'd enjoy being pets. Just my opinion.

Birds. See frogs.

Fish. See birds.

Hamsters/Gerbils/Rats. They don't live long enough. :tears2:

Raccoon. They are destructive as hell.

Would:

More Rabbits. Bayou is so much fun. I want more. :blushan:

Ferrets. In bonded pairs they are so fun to watch.

Skunk. Like cats that don't jump.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06CvUjLgK5g]GOATS!.[/ame] They are beautiful. And entertaining.

Horses. I'm terrified of them, but they're so majestic looking.

Farm Animals. Like CKGS said. I'd love to rescue farm animals who are going to be put to death because they are past their "usefulness" on a farm.

Guinea Pigs. I need to do more research, but I'm definitely getting them if they can be potty trained.

Dogs. So many dogs.
Pigs. Screw the swine flu, pigs are adorable. :biggrin2:

Not all jersey cows are miniature fyi and they eat as much as regular sized cows but are more expensive (since they're in high demand).

okiron wrote:
Not all jersey cows are miniature fyi and they eat as much as regular sized cows but are more expensive (since they're in high demand).

Lol....I'd just wait until I found a mini one and could afford to care for one. In reality....I probably will never get the chance to own a cow, anyway....not unless we moved back to NY or something.

Wouldn't own:

Snakes: I just don't like them.

Ferrets: Every ferret I've ever met has an odor that I just couldn't live with. I had a roommate once with a ferret. It was rescued from a lab situation. I kept wanting to turn my bedroom into it's toilet, and would not groom itself, so it looked greasy and dirty all the time. Though I was certainly glad it was no longer a test subject, I wished it's happy home was with someone else!

Cats: I'm allergic to them. Also, I don't really like them. Would never be able to deal with a stinky litter box. I also want to vomit every time I see a cat on a kitchen counter or dining room table, as the only thing I can think of is them standing in that litter box, then standing somewhere food is prepared or eaten.

Dogs: Also allergic, also don't like them. I always had a dog growing up (developed my allergy to them later in life), but I never liked them.

Rats: They may be very sweet, and I know they are smart, but I can't get over that naked tail. Ick.

I have
Dogs
Cats
Ducks
Chickens
Rabbits

Wouldn't Own

Reptiles
- Most of them scare me and I don't like owning pets that I would have to feed other animals to, be it furrys or insects, I love furrys and I am terrified of insects so that just rules them out

Hedgehog- I would love a hedgehog expect you have to feed them insects, so eww, no.

Birds- I wouldn't own like parrots, canarys or anything like that other then poultry. For one I don't like when they flap around me, scares me, and I just feel they would have been better off not domesticated.

Gerbils- Anyone I have meet has been very mean and destructive lol, I just wouldn't like them.

Chickens- I probably won't own chickens again, I like my poultry to be totally free range and the chickens I find to be a disaster for that, they fly up into trees, lay eggs in bushes.

Cats- Hmm, I am not sure if I will own cats again, I was really attached to one cat I had but after she was PTS I started not liking cats. We had a foster kitty for awhile too and I really liked her, it depends on the cat really. I don't really like our three current cats much. Although that doesn't mean I'm cruel to them and don't look after them.

Would Own

Rabbits- I can never see myself without rabbits, I just love them so much and can honestly say I have never met a rabbit I hate, even if it's really mean. I just love them.

Dogs- I love dogs! I hope where ever I live as an adult I will be able to keep a dog, I will probably buy a house anyway. Breed doesn't matter to me and I don't think I will ever own a purebred I want to get any dogs as an adult from the pound.

Guinea Pigs- Guinea pigs are so cute, I want more when I am an adult. I petsit a little herd of four piggys and they are so much fun to look at. I haven't had guinea pigs since I was like 10 though.

Rats- I would love rats but my parents said no lol, they said we have cats to keep away rats so why would you be bringing some in, they don't understand you can get pet rats just like you can pet rabbits.

Syrian Hamsters- I love syrian hamsters, I don't like dwarf hamsters though. I've had both and loved the syrians. I kept hamsters between the ages of about 9 and 12.

Donkey- The majority of my neighbours have donkeys, I love them. Donkeys are often associated with Ireland, alot of people keep them here, when I'm older I probably buy a house in the country with a few acres and have a donkey or three :p

Pony- I'd love a pony just as a pet, I'd love a Shetland or fallabella, they are so cute!

Cows- I have alot of experience with cows, although I find farmers to be very cruel with them. I'd like one or two very friendly heifers.

Goats- I'd love a goat, my Dad does too but right now we don't have room, we might be renting some land sometime though.

Ducks- I will own aylesbury ducks again, they don't fly at all and are so cute! Great layers too and you get a nice big egg from them.

Oh interesting thread!

Off the top of my head I know I will never ever have a dog, ferret, horse, insect, spider, snake, lizard, bird, frog.... etc.

I will definitely own more cats.
I might own more rabbits, I don't know.
I would like to try cavies, rats and chinchillas, I think I would like those. :)

wouldn't
Fish- cleaning tanks is too much of a chore
sheep - to stupid to work with
cows- terrified of them after one ran straight at me in college

Would
horses- always wanted them love working with them
goats- they are sooooo cute
Ducks - would love a nice duck pond
dogs- only owned 2 dogs and both were taken away by parents :(
leopard geckos - they are great animals to look after
corn snake- were always my fave at college
eurynastix (lol rather hard to spell) - my fave lizard
hamsters- always used to own one till I moved out
gerbils- cute
rats- I love their friendliness and intelligence

undergunfire wrote: alled Jersey Cows??? I think they are the cutest things!
[align=left]Lovebirds - Gorgeous birds. I really love birds, but I just don't think Ryan would be able to get used to their noises.

[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]oh god i love ,Lovebirds!!!!! once my cats and dogs go i will own a love bird again.
[/align]

Own- Cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits, hermit crabs, bearded dragon

I would not own-

Ferrets i know they arent all crumy , little , creepy things, but my experience with them have not been good, so i would never own one.

Snakes - they just arent my thing, maybe i would own a small one but i dont think so.

If money, time and space was not a problem or concern i would own the following

Chickens- we will eventually have some. I think they are just neat and would love the opportunity to own some, hopefully next year.

Cow- Now this cow would have to be a beigey color, dont ask me why but i would really like a beige cow.

Horse - I have never been horse back riding but i would love to do it and to one day own one.

Sheep - I just like them, i have tons of farms around me so i am getting to see so many farm animals makes me wish i had more acreage and money

Chinchilla- i love their fur,lol. I think they are neat and would like to someday own one.

LOVE BIRDS- I have owned two love birds, i got them a different times, and i would so own one again in a heart beat, once my cats are gone so that i can let them fly the house. I got my first love bird from my now hubby when i was a teenager for my birthday and he was my baby, he loved me so much and i loved him so much, besides Sooty, Dutch is an animal that i have had that i still think about alot. It has been almost 10 years and i still think about him.

Animals that i am not sure if i want to own again

Dogs- I like dogs but it is so hard to get people to come to the house to watch all the animals and with dogs needing alot more attention and looking after when you go away this causes some problems. After, god forbid, my dogs pass we might foster but i dont know if i will own another dog.

Cats- I have three cats, but i think i am "over" having cats. When they have something wrong with thtem they usually show you by going outside the box, and i am just over dealing with cat pee,lol.

Hamsters- i been there done that i think until the kids can do a maj ority of the work we wont have any hamster in the house.

Guinea pigs- I technically dont OWN them, i like piggies but i dont think if i wasnt fostering them i wouldnt own one. That is why fostering guinea pigs is a lil easier becuase i just dont think they are for me, so it is a little easier to adopt them out.

Bearded Dragons - i think they are boring,lol, my beardie doesnt do much of anything and i dont feel that i can interact with her as you would your rabbit or something like that, just my opinion.

I would own:
Rabbits
Dogs
Cats
GP's
Terrapin Turtle
Royal Dandie pig
Sun Conure bird

Wouldn't own:
Snakes

Do:
Dog

Would:
DOGS ANYTIME.
Rabbits. PLEASE! I miss having bunnies :(
Ferret, don't think they have any in NZ
Cat
Mice, I loved having mice!
Fish :) certain type only though... I had fish when I was little I loved them very much.
Guinea pig, they make cute noises!
Pig ;)

Not want:
Birds, sorry they creep me out.

Would Not Own:
Ferrets - The minute they poo (even right after the cage being cleaned) the whole small critter room smells at the shelter. :yuck
Snakes - I wouldn't be able to feed them. lol
Most amphibians and reptiles - Just not my thing
Dwarf Hamsters - too nippy.
Large Birds - They'll out live me!

Maybe Would Own:
Small Lizards and Frogs - I don't mind feeding crickets so I could own them.
Mice - I have no experience with them except for a really fat one that came into the shelter. After sitting calmly in another volunteers hand for a few minutes, it bit her three times and she was bleeding. But that's only one. I just need to handle others.
Horse - I don't have a lot of experience with them but horses are great. Whether they'd be a pet for me, I don't know.
Goat - Same as the horse. I don't know if they are a pet for me or not as I have little experience.
Any bird - Their poo disgust me. lol

Would Own:
Syrian Hamsters - Dwarfs are too nippy for me.
Degus - LOVE <3
Chinchillas - I recently fell in love with them!
Rats - They are just so social and friendly!

Do Own:
Gerbils - Easiest pets in the world (easier then a goldfish in a bowl). They are loving too and are just as much of beggers and my rabbits and dog!
Rabbits - Need I say more?
Dogs - LOVE them. I'm totally a dog person. :)
Fish - I've always had fish. lol

mardigraskisses wrote:
Hamsters/Gerbils/Rats. They don't live long enough. :tears2:
Did you know that it's very common for gerbils to live 3-5+ years?
I know someone who said all of their gerbils have lived 6-7 years old. :D

kirsterz09 wrote:
sheep - to stupid to work with

Sheep are actually very smart; just as smart as your average dog. Don't know why people think sheep are dumb, but they're not. haha. I know, trust me, I had two sheep for about a year.

They were very entertaining. Loved to play "soccer" and if I ran from one end of the pasture to the other calling their names, they would run after me. When I finally started halter training my ewe, I had her walking next to me, practically heeling, without even holding the lead rope, and when I said stop she would stop. ;)

Don't judge the animal based on what you hear, or if you've never owned it. ;)

Emily

Do Own:

Cats - Love cats. They are awesome. I'll probably always have at least one or two cats.

Fish - Low maintence "pets." I like watching them...

Rabbits - Once you own one, you're hooked! :p I will probably always have a bunny...hopefully! :)

Have Owned:

Sheep - So entertaining! lol. Just like dogs. Can be shy at first, but if you get a bottle-fed lamb, not very shy.Sheep so cute and curious too! Might own a few again one day.

Dog - Always got to have a dog! I will be getting one as soon as I possibly can! Lol.

Chickens/Ducks - Loved having ducklings! They were just too adorable! Loved my chickens too. Will own chickens/ducks again. Especially so then I can have farm fresh eggs which I love so much!

Would Like to Own:

Horse - I've leased a horse (and haven't seen her in a while!! :() and I would definitely love to own a horse when I can afford one.

Bird -I would love to get some parakeets/lovebirds! As long as they can be taught to talk! Lol. I like talking birds. :p

Goat - Have lots of experience with these guys already, plus I think they're just as awesome as sheep. lol. Hopefully will own a couple of these guys in the future...

Cow - Would love to own a cow! I love the ones that are solid white with brown and then it kind of speckles out almost like roaning/appy markingson a horse. No clue what their breed is, but gosh they're too cute!

Other - Can't really think of what else I would like to own...lol. But I'm sure there's something out there that I would love to own! ;)

Wouldn't Own:

Rat/Mice - They're cute, but their long tails freak me out!

Snakes - I prefer to see them in their natural habitat...and keep my distance from them! :p

Spiders - One word: Arachnophobia.

Yeah so I can't think of anything else...lol.

Emily

ETA: Grammar

undergunfire wrote:
[align=left]Mini Cow - I think they are called Jersey Cows??? I think they are the cutest things!!

[/align]
[align=left]
[/align]
[align=left]
[/align]

Oh my Amy aren't they just the cutest!! There is a breeder here i WA pretty close to me. I want one sooo bad but they are really expensive.

Jersey Cows are a diff breed altogether,love them too! They are so sweet and friendly!

Little thing related to stupid sheep/chickens. Some one in my family, an aunt or someone used to have a chicken inside and he was potty trained! Thats goes to show as well that chickens arent dumb. And same for the sheep as my sister said.

Latest posts

Back