Which one to take out?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

New to the forum but very grateful for some advice.My usual Bunny Expert has gone out for the evening and I have a bit of an issue. Have 2 boys (brothers) who we have had since they were 4 months old, now about 10 months old. Fully bonded and both neutered. Today the dominant one has become Evil Bunny chasing his bro, nipping him, not allowing himin thelitter tray etcto the extent that his bro has taken to sitting on the roof looking very upset and scared.

For safety sake I need to separate(ish) them for the night - which one should be restrained in the carry box and which one left to roam in the run?

Any advice gratefully received.

:nerves1

Pretty sure either or is fine...
If you have a bathtub, that would allow for more range than a carrier.
Just lay down some towels...
Then hie thyself to the store for some NIC grids to build a temporary pen.

This may be an issue of space... they may simply need a large cage so each can have more personal space.
If you would post a pic, members may have suggestions to make the cage more neutral :)

Mind you, if it isn't overly aggressive nipping, they may just be having a spat. If its at the level where they may be drawing blood, then by all means, separate.

Has anything changed in their environment? Any recent vet visit?

I would leave the scared and bullied one where he is because he has already had a trauma.

I too would suggest finding a bigger option than a carrier though. I personally would never use a bath for unsupervised times because I have had buns jump out the bath in a wonky manner and I would worry about injury, but having a bun free roam in the bathroom might be sensible.

Nipping and chasing is a normal part of bunny behaviour, but when it gets to something more then you need to look for the cause. Like Autumn says, it could be lack of space, or something could have changed in the environment. It may also be that one of the two is not feeling 100% Equally, it could be a new smell has made the dominant boy territorial.

It might be worth taking them for a car ride and the having them in neutral territory and seeing what happens. Only do that if you fele it's safe and neither party is getting injured. If the litter pan is the problem then maybe remove that if you do put them together.

If you separate them then you face having them completely separate, and that is always the risk of having two bunnies.

Wait, I've just realised who you are (Tis Tracy here).

How were they after the recent operation?

Could you have Russell (whom I'm presuming is causing the problems) in the kitchen?

Hi NorthernAutumn

Thanks for your suggestions. They have a big run (6ftx6ftx3ft)2 outside litter trays full of hay and a double hutch (one open side and a bed side) so it would be easish tomorrow to split in two. They are free to roam within the run and hutches all day and night.

2 weeks ago they went to the vets (together) for both of them to have their teeth spurs sorted but had seemed fine.

Thankfully its not full on fighting but thats what I want to avoid. The dominant one is being VERY dominant so that the other rabbit can't even get into a litter tray or a drink of water before heis chased off. I know having 2 males can be difficult butwe are happy to deal with the difficulties.

Maybe I should take them for a car ride together for a bit - and I suppose a drop of vanilla wouldn't hurt. I am worried that separating for the night might antagonise the situation if as you suggest it is just a spat rather than a total fall out.

Why can't they TALK!!!!!

I think this might be a spring related issue, with their hormones playing tricks on them (even though they are not there). This is where any bonded buns are a challenge. Roger, one of the fosters, has been full of the joys of spring, despite being neutered in September. So full of the joys that he made his little boy bits sore. It's a tough time of year.

Hi

I tried ringing but I thought you had gone out!!

No its Mouse being the dominant beast!!!! I am quite happy to have him in the kitchen but I would like to work at keeping them as a pair. If it can't be then fair enough and we will deal with it.

They had their teeth done andwere like new little boys again.

I'll take them for a drive and see what happens.

I just got back, but my dad and brother were in and they are sloooooooooooooooow sorry :(. And funnily enough I was going to e-mail you earlier to find out how they were after their spurs situation.

I'm sorry Mouse is being a turd. I would think it is just spring. It may be that you may have to look at temporarily dividing your run right down the middle with a view to rebonding once they are less frisky.

I would definitely suggest a car ride and also some vanilla. It might also be worth cleaning everything with vinegar because that will take out Mouse's smell from everything, so hopefully make him less territorial. I am about all weekend (apart from Sunday afternoon) and Monday too, so if you do need anything, I am about and available :)

Just had a thought, if you want to separate them, I can lend you a 4ft by 1ft hutch that you could put along one side. It's not a great size, but it might allow you some peace of mind and they can stay near each other. It might be a good halfway house for tonight.

Mum says we can bring it round (I have a bale of hay in my car!) if you want.

Thank you Tracy!!!!

Just got home and set the boys up to see each other but not touch! Thank you again for the fantastic hutch and I will keep you posted about the bonding session in the morning in the kitchen.

Elle is much happier now - she takes her rabbit being nasty to his brother v personally.

Rabbit owners are lovely people!!!!!

Good luck for today. I hope spring dosn't cause you too many problems today. Could have done with a murky day, but hey ho, let's enjoy the sun!

sorry for asking this hear, but is the spring a bad time to boned my 2 bunnies??????:threadhijacked: not....
sorry for:ph34r2
ps.
i hope the bonding goes well again for you. and mouse lives up to his
name......

Hi Flashy and Irishlops
Today has gone well - after a 3 hour play in the kitchen, whilst I scrubbed the run, hutches etc it was then a days play in the run(without the hutches). They have been happy boys grooming each other, snuggling in the same litter tray etc.
What a difference a night in the sinbin has been for Mouse! He was definitely a cross bunny overnight - you could hardly see him for torn up paper this morning!

We have now built a frame so that we can separate the run/hutches etc. But for today - peace reigns.

Irishlops - sorry I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone in here can.

thats great news!!!!
hope it continues.:)
dont worry about the question...... ill get it off some one.

Hi
Don't tell the husband this (as he thinks the Boys get more attention than he does!) but....
I decided to try them together for the night as the day had gone so well. I still have a baby monitor so I plugged it in and .... ALL WAS QUIET!
Don't worry I'm not counting my chickens/rabbits yet but things seem to be calmer. They are happy together (grooming etc) though more nervous with us - but hey we can build that up again.
Tracy, thank you again for your words of wisdom and help!!!!

That's really grand! Each day at a time. At least you know what to do if things get rocky again :)

And you're welcome. I'm always happy to help.

Latest posts

Back