Which is timothy and which is alfalfa??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly09

Reaction score
A friend dropped off two bales of hay for me. One is suppose to be timothy and the other alfalfa. But I have no clue which is which. I was hoping some of you on here are hay pros!

I'm going to take a hesitant guess at the timothy being the bale labeled "B" but I would wait for the experts :p

Thanks guys for your inputs! Its much appreciated!

I think he said the alfalfa was a mix with possibly clover?? But it was his parents who grew it, so he really wasn't sure himself.

I got both for free so i'm not complaining. As long as they are safe to feed to my buns, i'll be happy! (FYI the alfalfa is mostly for my young bun and as a treat to my adult bun)

If I could smell them, I could tell you. ;) Alfalfa has a distinct smell unlike other hays.

They definitely look to be mixes. I definitely see clover in A, though. So I dunno if that means that's supposed to be the alfalfa? I really can't see alfalfa in either!

Sorry not to be of more help!

Rue

Would there be any reason they wouldn't be safe for my buns? I guess that's my biggest worry. I know the people grew all the hay for their horses, not sure if that makes a difference?

You may not notice that same smell in mixes Rue ;)

Since they are both mixes, my only worry would be how much alfalfa the adult bunny is consuming with it. What is the base of the pellets the adult is getting? If their timothy based id say go for it. Other then that bale A has a lot of... Stuff... so just keep an eye out for anything odd in there..

Timothy has these things in it

2016080944.jpg

I vote that A is timothy, B is orchard grass.

Neither look like alfalfa. Alfalfa has leaves like clover, not long grass leaves like in the pictures.

Edited to add: Both bales look like perfectly safe hay to feed.

Latest posts

Back