Which is less likely to have teeth/eye problems- Holland OR mini-lop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPguy

Reaction score
We just lost our Holland Lop of 8 1/2 years to a tooth related issue (also had eye problems). I have since read that Hollands are "predisposed" to the teeth problem due to the short face/jaw. My question is this "Is the mini lop less likely to have teeth problems (and/or eye problems) due to a different sized head/jaw, or is it plagued by virtually the same amount of problems?" We are devastated, and would really like to avoid (inherent) problems with our next choice (down the road). Thanks for your insight! BTW, I am a new, first-time poster. Glad I found you folks.

Nobody out there has an answer for me? Hmmm.

I really don't know the answer to your question. Mini lops may be slightly less predisposed to it, but they still seem to have a bit of a pushed in face compared to many other breeds which possibly has something to with the shape of the crown and lop-ears and the way the jaw also develops in conjunction with that.

That's just my thoughts based on general assessment of the appearance of both. I have no experience with either breed.

Where did you acquire your first Holland Lop?

I have heard of folks talking about shorter faced breeds being predisposed to tooth issues. In my personal experience, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Regardless of the breed you're interested in, I'd recommend working with a reputable breeder. This would be someone who raises rabbits on a relatively large scale and is most likely involved in shows. These breeders work hard to eliminate genetic problems like malocclusion (tooth misalignment). That doesn't mean that it never pops up, but you're guaranteed a rabbit that has been bred with good intentions.

By adopting rabbits or purchasing them from people who breed on a small scale just for pets, it's harder to know whether the rabbit comes from ancestors selected for good health.

Thank you so much for the kindly response! Do you folks raise and show lops?

Latest posts

Back