Which English Lop should I get?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayisgood

Reaction score
Hello there, I am new to the English Lop breed. I am posting pictures of available rabbits from a breeder I have been wanting to buy from. I would like to know what rabbit you would choose, as I have a novice eye, from the info and photos I have provided. Please tell me why and about your experience with E lops...

I was going to the broken blue because she is of breeding age. She also costs more.

1st pic. broken blue doe, 7 months. Ears 24 x 5.5 sire has 6 legs and dam has 3 legs.

All these next babies are 10.5 weeks old.

2nd pic. blue buck, Ears 21½ x 5¼

3rd pic. black doe, d.q. (torn ear) Ears 21 x 5

4th pic. black tort doe, Ears 20½ x 4¾ (shortest ears)

5th pic. black doe, Ears 22 x 5 (longest)

broken blue.jpeg

blue buck.jpeg

black doe 1.jpeg

tort doe.jpeg

black doe 2.jpeg

the broken blue doe and the blue buck look the best to me. they both have very nice body shape and color.

I've been involved with raising English Lops since 2007. I'm currently on hiatus from breeding them, but I still keep up with the breed and know how to interpret the standard. Here's my thoughts on the rabbits posted:

1) Broken Blue Doe
If you don't buy this rabbit, I will haha. She has good depth (height of arch from bottom to top of table), is round in the hindquarters except for a slight flat spot right after the arch there, and peaks at the right spot (you want the highest point of the arch to be in line with the toes of the back feet). Head looks nice and broad, and I like that the ears are low on the head. I would like to see a smoother transition in the midsection, but overall a nice rabbit. My first pick.

2) Blue Buck
Hard to tell much about this rabbit because he's posed incorrectly (back feet too far forward) and the picture doesn't show a direct side view. Looks to have a nice transition from the shoulders to the midsection, and decent depth. Ears are nice and low which is good, looks to maybe not be as round in the hindquarters but that could be due to the pose. Not a bad buck, but really needs to grow up some for a better evaluation.

3) Black Doe
Again the feet are too far forward so the pose may be throwing the type off. Looks to have nice depth, better transition to the arch than the first doe, but is not as full in the hindquarter. I think she peaks at the right point, but it's hard to tell with the pose. Nice low ears, wish the head was broader. Would make a nice brood doe, I like her.

4) Black Tort Doe
No real comments on her because she's not posed. Looks to be hollow in the loin... See how she's almost a triangle shape from the spine to the table? You want that to be rounded and filled out. Cute baby, but looks to be younger; I'd look for older, more mature does.

5) Black Doe
Cute baby, but I like the older two does better. See how her body looks like one round half of an orange? And the top doe looks like a pear cut down the middle? You want that pear body type; the lack of a definite arch is the wrong body type, and is a huge fault I see a lot in the breed. Looks to have decent transition and depth, but peaks too early, and doesn't have a full, rounded hindquarter. Nice low ears on her.

If I were you, I'd grab that broken blue doe in a heartbeat, pick up the older black doe, and look for an proven, unrelated buck who pairs nicely with them. All in all, pretty nice rabbits. Can I ask who the breeder is?

You're welcome to shoot me a message if you have any more ELop questions. I love the breed and could talk about them all day. :)

I really appreciate the time you took, I have read all.. and indeed I have already told her I'd like the blue doe (getting her sunday!) :) so good I have someone w some knowledge who liked her too. So her shoulders/withers being flat, and not rounding up it a bad thing? I have read everything and wish I had a knowledgeable mentor living at my house lol

Back