Which breed of bunny do you recommend to me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnysweetie

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Lately I have been researching rabbits, and I feel thatthey are the pet for me. :)I was wondering if you had anybreed recommendations. I am wanting a breed of rabbit that is a small/medium size. Eazygoing, sweet and gentle- though I've read that bunnysdon't like to be held, I'd like a some what cuddly rabbit.

Thank You!

I'm not really sure as to breeds. Although youcan't always tell if the bun will be a "cuddly" one. If it'sbeen well-socialized and loves people, he/she may very well be a cuddlyrabbit. I'd suggest males, they tend to be more friendly.:)

A Warm Welcome to the Forum!:cool:

Ellie

Some of the more easy going, smaller breeds wouldbe Holland Lop, Dutch, andHimilayian. But then again,personality really varies with the rabbit. ;)Good luck infinding the perfect bun!

~Nichole

I started getting American Fuzzy Lops for myclassroom - the little boy we have now loves all the attention he getsfrom the kids and dosen't mind being held. Its the going backinto the cage he hates!:D However, there is additionalbrushing with this breed - especially the first year while they losethe baby coat. I suggest you go to some rabbit shows and talkto breeders in your area. A good breeder will breed forpersonality too. Good Luck!

In my time here onthe forum I've heard many good things about the lops. It does seem thatthe males are the ones who tend to be the most laid back and loving,but there are quite a few friendly females also.

We have also seen a recent surge ofinterest in the Flemish but those are not a medium breed. However, ifyou are not set on the size of the rabbit, it might be worth lookinginto. There hasn't been a negative word uttered about one aroundhere!

One last thing. Don't count out the"mutt" rabbits. I think a lot of people have really great luck withthem. I think there are probably a lot of them in shelters that reallyneed a loving home and probably are already spayed or neutered, andperhaps litter trained and such as well.

RaspberrySwirl

I think it's really more a matter of individualpersonality more than general breed traits. If you have yourheart set on a "cuddle-bun", you might want to look into rabbit rescuesin your area. They're likely to be familiar w/ their rescuebuns' personalities, & should be able to steer you in the rightdirection.

Also, if you *must* have a cuddly bunny, you might want to be flexibleon the "small/medium" requirement. The biggerbreeds of rabbits (much like horses ;D ), tend to be more "laid back"then the smaller breeds. 'Course, that's just "general breedtraits" which, as I said before, don't matteras much asindividual personality...still, it's easier to find the "perfect" petwhen your definition of "perfect" is very forgiving.;}

A breed that is Eazygoing...mmmm FLEMISH!

A breed that is Sweet.....mmmmm FLEMISH!

A breed that is Gentle.....mmmmm FLEMISH!

A breed that is usually very cuddly.......mmm FLEMISH!!!

Medium sized......well maybe not flemish...:(

I have Holland Lops and they are NO where nearas friendly myflemish is. He is my big baby! He comes when I call his name, he getssad and pouts when i tell him no, he does like 3 differenttricks....but....if you looking for a small rabbit,aFlemishis not the rabbit to get....here is why...

~Amy+Nimue~

My top pick of best personalities isDutch,Holland lop,jersey woolies,fuzzy lop,polish,Netherlanddwarf.jersey woolies with good wool only need brushed once aweek.bluebird

First, there's no guarantee for *liking to be held*

If you get a baby bunny I think you can have better luck with some of those things....

Get a male and get him neutered.

From what I have noticed in the small/med breeds...... mini-rex can behigher strung and play a lot but also sweet(bo is in a way but thenhe's also very mellow and loves to lay around in my lap)...

Holland lops are more mellow but I know they don't like held much fromsome of them I have seen. Opie (the rabbit I am keeping forSLRabbits this week) is mellow and very calm, but he's also very"opinionated' in that if you don't pet him while he's being held (andsometimes when you do..... ) he bites. That could be thewhole "I smell another bunny on you thing" cause Bo bit the *radioedit* out of my daughter this morning after she held Opie first.

A friend has a mini-lop, she's hateful, they have an English spot, she's very sweet, and a rex-mix and again very sweet.

If you get a rescue, the shelter can sometimes tell you the personality of an adult bun.

Personally, I have had good luck with my mini-rex.

Hum, my sister has a French Lop and it is one ofthe sweetest rabbits we have ever had. I have had Mini lops all mylife, I;ve only had one Mini that truly hated people. All my othershave been really sweet. I wouldnt recommend them for a first rabbit. AFrench Lop would be perfect, except they are usually 12 lbs and up.

I think it really depends on where they areraised and how they are raised. We held Bo constantly when wegot him and he was a baby. He's now so loving to me it'sactually pathetic. I get chinned every day right now becauseof Opie being here and he smells him on me. He also "lips"me... (rubs his mouth as he's going for the chinning) and gets me allslobbery LOL!

If you get a rescue that has been loved and cared for by someone youwill have a sweetheart most likely, but a lot of rescues have beenneglected/abused..... they need someone with patients and the heart towait or accept the bunny as it is.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Holland lops are more mellow but I know they don't like held much fromsome of them I have seen. Opie (the rabbit I am keeping forSLRabbits this week) is mellow and very calm, but he's also very"opinionated' in that if you don't pet him while he's being held (andsometimes when you do..... ) he bites.

If he's young, he'll probably ditch that habit in a month or two. Thatwhat I noticed, anyway. Between 3 and 4 mo. was the worst for biting.It gets better.

I have Hols, and they are wonderful. My male is very fussy, but thefemales love attention. They don't like being held, but many rabbitshave a problem with that.

Rose

Latest posts

Back