Which bamboo is safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Depressed Rat

Reaction score
I want to grow bamboo for my rabbits, specifically my elderly rabbit who will only chew bamboo "wood." I know to avoid fake bamboo like lucky bamboo, but there's just so many different types of true bamboo and not a lot of information about which species are safe. Is it just that all species of true bamboo are safe?

As far as I know all true bamboo is ok. That is all in the Poaceae family, I'm not aware of anything in that family that is a problem for rabbits.

Lucky bamboo is not a bamboo, but Dracaena braunii, Asparagaceae family, and Heavenly Bamboo is Nandina Domestica, of the Berberidaceae family - both completly different plants and have nothing to do with bamboo, both toxic.

If you are unsure about a plant looking up close relatives and what family they are in can give a clue.

When growing bamboo I would set my priority to chose one that doesn't spread like crazy and can out of control.

When growing bamboo I would set my priority to chose one that doesn't spread like crazy and can out of control.
I wish the people we bought our house from had known that! We have a huge bamboo forest on our property which is super cool and pretty when it snows, but also a pain because it spreads so quickly.
and yeah, that was really random...sorry

Maybe try and research what variety the zoos grow to feed their animals. I would imagine they know what they're doing with which works best.

Latest posts

Back