Where to get the pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubrch

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have a source for bulk timothy pellets? Right now I'm buying Kay-Tee "Timothy Complete" (if there's something better out there, please tell me) from Petsmart for nearly $14 per 10lb bag, and Froogle's best pick is $7.73 a bag (coming to about $11 a bag with shipping). I'm in the DC area, so there aren't any feed stores nearby.

Thanks!

Check out Oxbow - they have excellent pellets. You can buy from them directly off their site, or they have a list of local distributers.

I believe Haley said she can get a 50lb bag of the pellets for about $30?

http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp

Ditto! If you need to reduce costs, buy in bulk directly from Oxbow. I like Oxbow pellets better than Kaytee, and feel I can trust the company more. Not that Kaytee's Timothy pellets are bad, but the rest of their pellets aren't good at all. I've ordered directly from Oxbow before and have always had good service. You can also order hay in bulk from them. It's cheaper than buying it in little bags at the store, but I prefer getting it straight from the farmer. Fresh and super cheap.

I LOVE Oxbow.

$50 for 50lbs (including shipping)of HIGH quality rabbit food sent to me. Heck,what a steal! That is $1 a pound for me.

My bunnies also looooove Oxbow. They do very well on it!

Are there websites other than oxbow where you can get good bunny food. One that has more shipping options?

Shipping from oxbow to alaska is $240 dollars :grumpy:

50lbs of Oxbow incoming.

Kay-Tee alfalfa is crap, you say? In what manner?
Our bunnies loved alfalfa, and when we tried to transition them over to timothy, the most dramatic of the two would fling the bowl away with her teeth, and then give me the bunn-eye ("I ESCHEW YOUR PELLETS! BRING TO ME THE ALFALFAS."). They eventually gave in, though.

For the record, I believe it was here that I learned about Bunnybales; they sell Timothy hay for about a dollar a pound (not including shipping). A pound of hay is a lot of hay. We ordered 25lbs from them the first time, and a full rectangular bale arrived in the mail. Eventually we would just pick the bunnies up and sit them on top of the pile. It's good hay and we're happy with them.

Any change has to be done slowly so it doesn't upset their stomachs.

Which Kaytee pellets were you feeding? They usually don't have very good nutrition compared to better alfalfa pellets like Oxbow 15/23 or breeder pellets like Pen Pals, Purina, Heinhold, etc. Even the plain pellets that don't have treats mixed in. Usually they don't have enough fiber and some types have too much protein. And they're really expensive considering how little the quality breeder brands cost.

i plan to switch to oxbow, it seems like a good deal for the amount of food you get. i was going to order some soon so i can start incorporating that into laylas diet.

i use:
Kaytee Supreme Daily Blend Rabbit Pellets
Crude protein (min.) 16%, crude fat (min.) 2%, crude fiber (min.) 15%, crude fiber (max.) 18%, moisture (max.) 12%, calcium (min.) 0.5%, calcium (max.) 1%, phosphorus (min.) 0.4%, salt (min.) 0.25%, salt (max.) 0.75%, vitamin A (min.) 1000 iu/lb.

it was what i first bought and after doing some research i found oxbow.

I think she said she was using Kaytee Timothy Complete, which is a fine pellet. I use it when I cant get Oxbow.

Try calling around to your local pet stores to see if any of them can builk order you a bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics. As Nadia mentioned, this is what I do. The store charges next to nothing for shipping (since they are ordering things from Oxbow for the store anyway).

I pay 38.00 (plus tax) for 50 pounds. Such a great deal!

Timothy Complete is fine but I like OXbow better :)

Yes, we always did gradual transitions when changing the feed. They would still be onto us, though.

We raised them for the first year or so on Kay-Tee Alfalfa pellets. It has something like %17 protein; just about what everyone else had.

They bunnies had free-choice timothy hay and fresh greens daily to supplement. The breeder we got the bunnies from told us to feed them nothing but pellets for the first six months, but we decided that that sort of advice sounded funny.

On a related note, is it normal for bunnies to have different "tastes"? We notice that one of our rabbits will inhale just about any treat we give her, while her brother is quite picky, and will reject many foods. They were reaised identically, with the same diet in the same cage. Both of them eat their daily food without any problem.

Not sure if anyone has posted this and I have not used these brands, but I've heard they are great.

KENT feed makes a bunny feed that you can get at a KENT feed grain dealer (we go to ours for Sheep feed and horse feed)

PURINA has a show bunny feed and you can get it through a store like Tractor Supply - again, I know nothing about these feeds so anyone is welcome to critique them - I just know where some 4H people get stuff.

Personally I use Oxbow and I have to go to the next town to get it. I've discussed the large bags of hay and pelletswith the store manager since they never have it and he's working to make sure he has some for me when I need it.

undergunfire wrote:
$50 for 50lbs (including shipping)of HIGH quality rabbit food sent to me. Heck,what a steal! That is $1 a pound for me.
I wish I lived in the US! :XIt costs me about $2.5/pound for me and all 4 of mine are on it (still switching 2 over). The biggest bag I can get is 10 lbs and that only lasts me 2 weeks with all 4 on it.

I get a 10 pound bag for the 2 bunnies and now one for the 3rd of the alfalfa based pellet. I don't feed alfalfa hay (bo has allergies) and the bag for Bo and Clover lasts about 3 weeks. I could use 50 lbs in 6 mos easy but I don't like having the open bag laying around. I'd rather pay a little more and have fresher bags now and then.

I'm stupid like that. :embarrassed:

amberelizabeth wrote:
i just don't know if i need ALL THAT FOOD for 1 rabbit. it'd last me forever. and after 6months doesn't it start to lose its nutritional value? or no?
That's the impression that I was under -- that pellets lose their nutritional value over time. I would think that if you split up the economysize baginto 2 or 3 more manageable bags and keep them as air tight as possible, you could freeze them for storage.

Yeah, a lot of people freeze any pellets that wont be used within a certain time frame. Personally I never keep anything around more then 3 months in the open (my parents would murder me if I putpellets in the freezer). The bottom line, if you wont use 50 lbs in 3 months, then it's smarter to go with a smaller amount. Buy it in 10 lbs bags instead. It may be a little more expensive but you have the reassurance that the pellets are fresh and good.

Try looking for a tack & feed place near you, and see if they (or your local pet store) will buy a box at a time for you. It'll probably be cheaper, and you'll then be getting 30lbs of food at a time.

I get a box of food (Kaytee Timothy Complete) from our local tack & feed place for $32. Of course, we lucked out on finding a place that sells it to us completely at cost, meaning they make VERY little money, and basically charge us what they paid for the box.

It's SO GREAT having a bulk of food...especially with four rabbits in my house right now! Once the other three get here...WATCH OUT!! :)

I'm wondering if I should just buy some stock in Kaytee at this rate! Hehe!!

Edited to add: P.S. Kaytee Timothy Complete is just fine, don't worry. I went by suggestions on various sites that listed percentages of what the food should contain, and combined it with the advice given me by Naturestee (another mod), and it's GREAT! After much research, I find NO PROBLEM with Kaytee Timothy Complete. :)

None of my rabbits will eat Oxbow timothy pellets. I believe it is because they were adopted as adults and have eaten alfalfa pellets most of their lives..if I mix alfalfa and oxbow timothy pellets they will eat the alfalfa and leave the oxbow.

2of mine will eat Kaytee timothy pellets but I can't get it in bulk

The others get alfalfa pellets but not very much (except Beau who practically cannot eat anything)

I have had bad results recently with the 50 lbs. boxes of Oxbow hay.

Matter of fact one box was dust with hay mixed in.
The quality control person did admit that the larger the order the less careful is the packaging but I did get 25 llbs. free from Oxbow because I was so disgusted with that 50 lb box.
Now I order 25 lbs of oxbow timothyhay and usually 9 lbs of orchard grass.
The orchard grass is not dusty but the the timothyhay is still not the quality it once was.

I am trying to wait it through with Oxbow as they are good at listening to complaints and I believe the poor quality is because they had to use an alternate source because their own hay crop was not good due to weather conditions in Nebraska.

When I switched my Bo over to the Oxbow pellets, he did the "eat around them" thing until he didn't have anything else for a day.

Alfalfa is a concern because they don't need it. Bo also has issues with alfalfa - allergies - so only Heidi gets the pellets with that for the time being. Clover was on them for a year too - she needed the weight - Bo doesn't.

Kaytee Timothy Complete is a pellet only isn't it?

I bought their hay one time and the bunnies wouldn't touch it. Then I found ROCKS in the bag to weigh it down. Really made me mad. I won't buy anything else from them now.

Oxbow has an expiration date - do any of the others?

Latest posts

Back