Where to get baby bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayna345

Reaction score
I live in Toms River, NJ and have been looking everywhere to find baby bunnies locally for sale but I can't find any at all!! I rather not have them shipped but if there is a trustworthy place that ships and that's my only option than okay, please help me, thank you!

Welcome to RO!

Do you want babies, or do you want to just experience the joy of bunnies?

Here is the Rescue I found. They are out of Mt. Holly, which is closer to you. Lots of bunnies that need a "forever" home.

http://www.forbunnysakerabbitrescue.org/

But if you want a baby, search Breeders in New Jersey, it will bring up lots of people who will have babies.

What type of bunny do you want? Do you want long or short hair? Lop ears or ones that stand up? Small, medium, or large bunny? If you don't know what you really want, I would suggest contact forbunnysake rescue. They have all types.

Good Luck on your search for your bunny. Let us know when you find one that grabs your heart.

K:)

To Slavetoabunny: I've never had a bunnie before and I was hoping to get a baby bunnie first so I could have the experience of a growing bunny! But I have no problem adopting a grown bunny I'd just like a baby at first.

To everyone else: I am looking for a rex bunnie but not strictly!

I recomend an adult. Their not like dogs. A baby will change, get hormonal, and may become difficult

Shayna345 wrote:
To Slavetoabunny: I've never had a bunnie before and I was hoping to get a baby bunnie first so I could have the experience of a growing bunny! But I have no problem adopting a grown bunny I'd just like a baby at first.

To everyone else: I am looking for a rex bunnie but not strictly!

I did the same thing you want to do. Experience the whole span of a bunnies life. Yes, babies are messy, and you have to watch their diet. You experience the "teenage" months, but neutering/spaying helps with hormones. It's been an amazing trip. June 4th will be a year since I started experiencing rabbits.

I did a little search and found this Rex breeder in Morris County. He has a few other breeds that you might be interested in. My best advise is to get babies that are calm. Not skittish. Ask the breeder if he handles his babies. Both breeders I got my bunnies from handled their kits from birth, and it was much easier for me, as a novice, to build that trust.

www.angelfire.com/nj/triplecreekrabbits/

Hope this helps! Good Luck! It's really an awesome experience. Keep us updated.

Thank you very much for your help ZRabbits and everyone! I will certainly update everyone!

To Slavetoabunny: Atco, NJ? About an 1hr and 15 minutes according to Google Maps

I really suggest looking at the animal shelter or a rescue, whether you want a baby or an adult. In my life so far I have had the immense joy of being "mom" to 10 wonderful bunnies. 4 were adults when I got them and 6 were babies (all of the adults were from the animal shelter/rescue situations and so were 2 of the babies). It is fun watching babies grow up, but it's also wonderful to get an adult. Whether or not they were babies when I got them has had no influence on how well I bonded with them. I love all my bunnies, but my undeniable favorite is one of my boys who came from the shelter as an adult. It is true that babies can be messier and can go through a bratty stage (though not all of them do- the 6 week old babies we adopted last summer were litter trained from the get go and never stopped being sweethearts), but I've not really encountered any problems with my little ones. My best suggestion is to pick a rabbit based on their personality, rather than age, gender, or breed. At least in my area, Mini Rexes are actually the most common breed that pops up at the shelter. The two little ones I mentioned earlier are Mini Rexes and their mama who we adopted in January is of course one as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that big bunnies are great, too. A lot of people want small rabbits because they think they'll be easier to handle (or something), but little bunnies are often (not always!) higher strung than the big guys. My first bunny as a child was a Netherland Dwarf and I loved him to death, but he was definitely the most keyed up rabbit I've had and honestly a lot of owners probably would have been turned off by his personality.

Good luck! You'll get lots of great advice here on the forum :)

SnowyShiloh wrote:
I really suggest looking at the animal shelter or a rescue, whether you want a baby or an adult. In my life so far I have had the immense joy of being "mom" to 10 wonderful bunnies. 4 were adults when I got them and 6 were babies (all of the adults were from the animal shelter/rescue situations and so were 2 of the babies). It is fun watching babies grow up, but it's also wonderful to get an adult. Whether or not they were babies when I got them has had no influence on how well I bonded with them. I love all my bunnies, but my undeniable favorite is one of my boys who came from the shelter as an adult. It is true that babies can be messier and can go through a bratty stage (though not all of them do- the 6 week old babies we adopted last summer were litter trained from the get go and never stopped being sweethearts), but I've not really encountered any problems with my little ones. My best suggestion is to pick a rabbit based on their personality, rather than age, gender, or breed. At least in my area, Mini Rexes are actually the most common breed that pops up at the shelter. The two little ones I mentioned earlier are Mini Rexes and their mama who we adopted in January is of course one as well. Another thing to keep in mind is that big bunnies are great, too. A lot of people want small rabbits because they think they'll be easier to handle (or something), but little bunnies are often (not always!) higher strung than the big guys. My first bunny as a child was a Netherland Dwarf and I loved him to death, but he was definitely the most keyed up rabbit I've had and honestly a lot of owners probably would have been turned off by his personality.

Thanks so much! After the answers I've gotten on here I have been looking for shelters but sadly still nothing nearby me, I'm starting to fear I may never find a bunny! :(

Shayna345 wrote:
SnowyShiloh wrote:

Thanks so much! After the answers I've gotten on here I have been looking for shelters but sadly still nothing nearby me, I'm starting to fear I may never find a bunny! :(

Here's a list of bunnies needing a home. Don't fear, felt the same way when first looking for shelters to find a bunny to love. There are plenty out there.

http://pets.oodle.com/rabbits/trenton-area/

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pet/

Craigslist is also hopping with both babies and "I got my kid this rabbit for Easter, but he doesn't take care of it" postings this time of year. You'll find one.

In the meantime, research as MUCH AS YOU CAN on this forum. It will really open up your eyes to how wrong the mainstream media is about small animal care and make sure that your future bunny is as happy and healthy as can be.

Is there a particular reason that the rescues nearby won't work? Do you not have transportation for just an hour away? (I'm just reliving the four-hour drive one way I made to get one of my rats.)

Zbunny: Thank you for all your help I've been checking those those links you gave me and I've also called them

Slavetoabunny: Thank you so much! That's very helpful I'll try giving them a call and if I can't find any bunnies down here I will definitely try and get up there

I have good news! I found one bunny for adoption fairly close to me and I also found a pet store that will be getting baby bunnies in around June 1st, so I'm going to look at that adoptable bunny tomorrow. The lady on the phone said he's a big boy and a sweet heart that loves to cuddle :biggrin:

Shayna345 wrote:
Zbunny: Thank you for all your help I've been checking those those links you gave me and I've also called them

Slavetoabunny: Thank you so much! That's very helpful I'll try giving them a call and if I can't find any bunnies down here I will definitely try and get up there

I have good news! I found one bunny for adoption fairly close to me and I also found a pet store that will be getting baby bunnies in around June 1st, so I'm going to look at that adoptable bunny tomorrow. The lady on the phone said he's a big boy and a sweet heart that loves to cuddle :biggrin:
That is Great News! So thrilled to hear! Let us know how it goes.

I hope you pick the adoption option! Small animals from pet stores are often bred in mills in terrible conditions. While they, too, deserve love, paying for them only creates a demand and puts more rabbits at risk. Getting a rabbit from a rehome or a rescue is the best option!

Unless you have a pet store that works with a rescue group. The store I go to for my supplies works closely with a rescue group. Bill's good that way.

If you intend to buy a bunny from a pet store, always ask where the bunny comes from. If the staff doesn't know, walk quickly to the nearest exit.

Back