Where to get baby bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still just a baby. Actually a really good age to start bonding with bunnies.

Oh lion heads are so much fun. Very intelligent, full of personality! They are high maintenance because of the grooming, but boy with grooming mine, it really helped the bonding and trust.

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:

Oh lion heads are so much fun. Very intelligent, full of personality! They are high maintenance because of the grooming, but boy with grooming mine, it really helped the bonding and trust.

Awhh they sound so cute! Is there any special brushes or anything that I should know about? Also there is actually 3 Lionheads for adoption, brown, black and white and white, I haven't decided which one I want but either way I'm getting one today around 3 or 4, I will be posting pictures! :)

Shayna345 wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:

Awhh they sound so cute! Is there any special brushes or anything that I should know about? Also there is actually 3 Lionheads for adoption, brown, black and white and white, I haven't decided which one I want but either way I'm getting one today around 3 or 4, I will be posting pictures! :)

I'd get a comb with wide teeth space that gradually tapers down to smaller. My husband talked to a groomer at pet smart and have to say, it does do the job. I would stay away from wire brushs because it really doesn't do anything and lion head skin is really thin. You have to watch pulling and scratching the skin. Grooming, I have found, has helped big time bonding with them.

All sound lovely. Though Luna is mostly white, I love her chocolate markings. Can't wait until you post pics. Just go with the one that really tugs on your heart!. Don't worry about color.

ZRabbits wrote:
Shayna345 wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:

I'd get a comb with wide teeth space that gradually tapers down to smaller. My husband talked to a groomer at pet smart and have to say, it does do the job. I would stay away from wire brushs because it really doesn't do anything and lion head skin is really thin. You have to watch pulling and scratching the skin. Grooming, I have found, has helped big time bonding with them.

All sound lovely. Though Luna is mostly white, I love her chocolate markings. Can't wait until you post pics. Just go with the one that really tugs on your heart!. Don't worry about color.

I wouldn't normally care about the color but where I am getting them from a friend of the family works there it's too far for me to get to right now because I won't have my car till September, so he said he would drive the bunny to me which is really nice so I don't want to ask him to bring all 3 bunnies for me to pick one out because I feel like driving the one bunny all the way here is already enough of a favor to ask, either way I'm sure I'll be getting a great bunny and knowing I'm helping a bunny in need instead of just going to the pet store is definitely better! I'm just not sure which bunny to ask him to bring!

Shayna345 wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
Shayna345 wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:

I wouldn't normally care about the color but where I am getting them from a friend of the family works there it's too far for me to get to right now because I won't have my car till September, so he said he would drive the bunny to me which is really nice so I don't want to ask him to bring all 3 bunnies for me to pick one out because I feel like driving the one bunny all the way here is already enough of a favor to ask, either way I'm sure I'll be getting a great bunny and knowing I'm helping a bunny in need instead of just going to the pet store is definitely better! I'm just not sure which bunny to ask him to bring!

Know about being without a car! And what a nice friend you have going for you. I think you are right about getting a great bunny with whichever your friend picks. Can he call you when he's there? I white rabbit with blues eyes are stunning. Black and White, it's probably broken black (color pattern) and they can have some pleasurable markings. And a solid brown, well if it's lighter is the color of a lion, which is really neat. Ask him to bring the calmest. Not shy or skittish. Will definitely help with a calm bunny to be able to bond.

He can't call me but he did say he would send me pictures before he brings one, I'm really interested in the black and white one because my little Chihuahua is black and white and my kitten (who is my Chihuahua's best friend) is also black and white and I just think the 3 of them would be really cute together being all the same color! The white one does sound beautiful also though, but I guess I'll see what he can tell me about their personalities and go from there!

Aw, congrats! Hopefully your friend makes a good choice :D I'm sure you will love your little one. I haven't always been able to choose when getting a new bun (as in, there was only one bunny or we were there to get a specific bunny and I didn't know anything about their personality first- this has been the case 5 of the 10 times we've got a new bunny!), and we've always been perfectly thrilled with him/her. It's certainly nice to have the opportunity to pick, but sometimes you can't for whatever reason and that's okay :) Tell your friend how to determine if a bunny is healthy (clean eyes and ears and butt, not skinny feeling, straight teeth, fur not matted) and to pick one that doesn't seem terrified. Though in all honesty, most bunnies are scared at first and my bunny that seemed to hate me the most in the beginning (Tallulah) ended up becoming my little shadow. It can just be hard to tell their real personality when they're scared. Let us know when the bunner arrives!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Aw, congrats! Hopefully your friend makes a good choice :D I'm sure you will love your little one. I haven't always been able to choose when getting a new bun (as in, there was only one bunny or we were there to get a specific bunny and I didn't know anything about their personality first- this has been the case 5 of the 10 times we've got a new bunny!), and we've always been perfectly thrilled with him/her. It's certainly nice to have the opportunity to pick, but sometimes you can't for whatever reason and that's okay :) Tell your friend how to determine if a bunny is healthy (clean eyes and ears and butt, not skinny feeling, straight teeth, fur not matted) and to pick one that doesn't seem terrified. Though in all honesty, most bunnies are scared at first and my bunny that seemed to hate me the most in the beginning (Tallulah) ended up becoming my little shadow. It can just be hard to tell their real personality when they're scared. Let us know when the bunner arrives!
Thank you for the advice! My bunny has arrived, he is the brown 13 week old Lionhead and has white hair that goes almost over one eye, he is so cute! I'm not actually sure what the sex is yet, and I haven't chosen a name yet but I do love him already! :) he didn't really act scared at all just grabbed onto me and even licked my arm, hand and face! He is so sweat! I will be posting pictures tonight because he's sleeping in his cage now because I'm sure it's been a long day for him!

Can't wait to see pictures of the little guy, congrats! If you want to find out if he's a boy or a girl, hold him on his back in the crook of one arm (do this while sitting in case he wiggles!) and use the other hand to poke gently just above his anus. A little something will pop out. If the little something has a hole in the tip (like a donut), it's a boy. If the little something has a slit (like an upside down hard shell taco), it's a girl. If you don't have experience holding bunnies and the bunny is nervous, it would probably work best if you have someone else hold him securely while you do this. It only takes a couple seconds, but bunnies get wiggly! If all else fails, you'll know in a couple of months because his testicles will descend if he's a boy :)

This is Bam-Bam! :hearts

YzYuh.jpg
[/url][/img]
u8MIW.jpg
[/url][/img]
Messing up the cage I just got done cleaning :thud::happybunny:
w3aqR.jpg
[/url][/img]

Awww, what a cutie pie!! And I like his name, forum member Nela used to have a Bam Bam, too! How is he settling in?

Also, is that a puppy pee pad in his cage? Just want to warn you that he'll probably have it shredded and bunched up in the corner within 15 minutes. Bunnies actually litter train very well, get him a litter box (I actually use a plastic shoe box from the store or a dish pan, much cheaper) and put some pelleted litter like Yesterday's News in there. Put the litter box in the corner of his cage, ideally in the corner where he is already peeing. Buns usually figure it out really quickly! When we got our little Max and Macie last summer, they were only 6 weeks old. We bought a litter box with really low sides so they could get into it, and as soon as little Maximus saw it, he tried to hop in but got stuck on the ledge because he was so tiny and I had to help him in. He tinkled in the box right away and neither of them have ever peed outside the box! Our other bunnies have all been similar so I'll bet Bam Bam takes to it great.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Awww, what a cutie pie!! And I like his name, forum member Nela used to have a Bam Bam, too! How is he settling in?

Also, is that a puppy pee pad in his cage? Just want to warn you that he'll probably have it shredded and bunched up in the corner within 15 minutes. Bunnies actually litter train very well, get him a litter box (I actually use a plastic shoe box from the store or a dish pan, much cheaper) and put some pelleted litter like Yesterday's News in there. Put the litter box in the corner of his cage, ideally in the corner where he is already peeing. Buns usually figure it out really quickly! When we got our little Max and Macie last summer, they were only 6 weeks old. We bought a litter box with really low sides so they could get into it, and as soon as little Maximus saw it, he tried to hop in but got stuck on the ledge because he was so tiny and I had to help him in. He tinkled in the box right away and neither of them have ever peed outside the box! Our other bunnies have all been similar so I'll bet Bam Bam takes to it great.
He's settling in pretty good, he likes to run around the room bite everything and throw things :biggrin: and yes it is a puppy pee pad and you're right he sure did make a mess! I just thought it would make a nice soft flooring for now! But I will try the litter box idea thank you! I was thinking about it but didn't know how so that was really helpful thanks a lot!!

Latest posts

Back