Where to find bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamalama

Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking all over the internet, where I can find a Holland lop-eared bunny in Shelby, Oldham, or Jefferson county kentucky? I would like to get one as a pet for my family of 1 adult child, 2 older teens, and one 7 year old. We have decided this would be the perfect pet for us. We just can't find anyone around here. I thought maybe someone hear would know how I would go about finding one?
Thanks! :)

There are so many horror stories of getting rabbits those ways. Most people who want to get a particular breed are willing to go further afield, like to an ARBA show or breeder.

They don't have anything like that even close to my area. I'm not a wealthy person, so can't afford to travel to other states and such. I have not even been out of the state that many times in my whole life, and I'm 43 years old, lol. Not looking to buy a bunny to show or breed, just want a nice pet for my family. :)

there are 8 cities in the craigslist state KY, but i'm not familiar with many areas so I don't know if you'd be close to them. And it can go wrong if you don't screen well, but I got my first bun through craigslist, and I'm picking up my second one next week through a pennswoods ad, it's like most ads, you have your good eggs and bad eggs. I like being able to take in bunnys that others don't want instead of them having a bad life which is why I try not to buy from breeders, they usually make sure they are selling their buns to good homes, plus I don't get them to show so I don't really want to pay the crazy prices when my bun doesn't need a pedigree. You can also keep an eye out on here, there's a forum for rabbits that need new homes

Thanks, I have looked on Craigslist, and there is nothing at the moment. I have also looked for healthy rescue bunnies that need a good home, still no luck. I will keep looking though. :)

http://www.pamperedpetsanimalrescue.org/

It's always good to rescue a rabbit. Here's a Rescue group in Kentucky. Maybe you can try there.

http://www.hoobly.com/12008/114/0/

This site is where I first started when I was looking for a bunny. Maybe you can find one that is looking for a new home, or a young bunny to start with.

Either way, wishing you all the best finding a bunny. They are such sweet, intelligent critters for companionship.

K :)

I wish you the best in luck, did you check some shelters in your area? Sometimes you have to open your heart to all possibilites. You may go in looking for a holland lop and come out with a netherland dwarf!
Best of luck!!!
Jj

mamalama wrote:
Not looking to buy a bunny to show or breed, just want a nice pet for my family. :)
People at shows have youngsters for sale that don't quite meet show quality, reasonably priced. And you find the quality breeders that way. It's a lot cheaper to get a rabbit with a known background than having to pay huge vet bills on a crap-shoot one.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I am going Saturday to look at some bunnies. But we have decided to be a 3 bunny family. :) Today, I actually bought 2 Rex bunnies. I got them at Rural King, and I know that is probably not the best place to buy bunnies. But I went in there to buy a rabbit hutch, preparing a home for my lop-eared bunny when I get one, and I was surprised to see them there, and I couldn't resist.
They had 3 babies, and I bought 2 of them, while someone else bought the other one. One is brown, and the other is orange with a white tummy.

I got 2 rabbit hutches, so I will have one for my lop-eared when I get one. I also bought bedding, food, some chew toys, water bottles, and hay.
I know I can look up info on the internet, but want the best advice possible on food and other things.

These babies are probably about 9-10 weeks old. I bought a food called Kaytee Fiesta Max for rabbits. Is that good? If it isn't the right kind, I will get some more tomorrow.
I also got a round salt lick (I think it is called). I have not put it in the hutch yet. Should I? If so, what should I attach it on there with?
About hay, I bought a metal hay "ball" with a bell on it. Should I put that in there? I talked to someone on the phone today, that said one of their bunnies was blinded, because it poked itself in the eye with the hay.
As far as bedding goes, I got Kaytee Clean and Cozy, and it is white. I also bought some carefresh natural premium bedding.

So if anyone has any advice on the food, hay, salt lick, bedding, toys, and treats, I would appreciate it.
One other thing, a friend told me you should not handle the babies too much. They said their ears would get sore, and they could die? I have not heard this, so thought i would ask this as well.

mamalama wrote:
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I am going Saturday to look at some bunnies. But we have decided to be a  3 bunny family. :) Today, I actually bought 2 Rex bunnies. I got them at Rural King, and I know that is probably not the best place to buy bunnies. But I went in there to buy a rabbit hutch, preparing a home for my lop-eared bunny when I get one, and I was surprised to see them there, and I couldn't resist.
They had 3 babies, and I bought 2 of them, while someone else bought the other one. One is brown, and the other is orange with a white tummy.

I got 2 rabbit hutches, so I will have one for my lop-eared when I get one. I also bought bedding, food, some chew toys, water bottles, and hay.
I know I can look up info on the internet, but want the best advice possible on food and other things.

These babies are probably about 9-10 weeks old. I bought a food called Kaytee Fiesta Max for rabbits. Is that good? If it isn't the right kind, I will get some more tomorrow.
I also got a round salt lick (I think it is called). I have not put it in the hutch yet. Should I? If so, what should I attach it on there with?
About hay, I bought a metal hay "ball" with a bell on it. Should I put that in there? I talked to someone on the phone today, that said one of their bunnies was blinded, because it poked itself in the eye with the hay.
As far as bedding goes, I got Kaytee Clean and Cozy, and it is white. I also bought some carefresh natural premium bedding.

So if anyone has any advice on the food, hay, salt lick, bedding, toys, and treats, I would appreciate it.
One other thing, a friend told me you should not handle the babies too much. They said their ears would get sore, and they could die? I have not heard this, so thought i would ask this as well.

Kaytee Fiesta has the colorful stuff in it, doesn't it? that is very bad for bunny. Purchase a plain pellet. They should have alfalfa pellets until approximately age 6 months.

A salt lick isn't going to hurt your rabbits, but it isn't something they need and most of them ignore it.

The hay ball is fine, but they probably won't get enough hay to eat from it and should have another source. I just serve mine in the litterbox (helps to encourage litterbox training too). Again, serve alfalfa until around 6 months old. The litter you chose is fine.

Personally, I would handle the bunnies as much as possible when young to socialize them. It's not going to hurt them at all.

Important!! Get these bunnies sexed by someone experienced. Do not believe what the store told you. There have been too many whoops! litters from people who are given incorrect info from a store. If they are opposite sexes, they should be separated no later than 12 weeks. You can generally have them fixed around 4 months.

Hope this helps!

Ditto to everything Slavetoabunny replied.

Wishing you all the luck. Enjoy! And remember, time and patience goes a long way to a really great bonding experience with your bunnies.

K:)

Good luck. Also I would suggest Wood-stove pellets for litter. Your stuff is great too, but the pellets will probably be cheaper. Also be sure they are drinking water. I had some problems with the hanging bottles not working properly all the time and some bunnies having a learning issue with them. Just a good idea to check this.

Back