Where do you buy your food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom, I have never used Purina myself and amjust stating what I have heard. Of course due to school I have not beenup to date on things so I apologize for that. I could be wrong about itnow.

Oh no - maybe I should forget about the Purina and keep them on the Oxbow.

They've always done well on Oxbow. It's pricey, but I guess I should stick with what I know, huh?

My babies are worth it.

i switched domino over to blue seal bunny 16 due to his diarrhea problems and havent had this problem since.

Okay . . . so now I'm really concerned because Ireally don't want to lose these precious bunnies as a resultofa food choice!

The rescue organization has them on Purina right now and is bringingPurina food with the bunnies when they are brought to us during ourhome visit.

If not Purina, what might I get locally that is a consistent, highquality food? I'm okay buying some stuff online but I imaginebuying heavier items like pellets might be expensive with shippingcharges.

BunyBun

P.S. I just changed my avatar this afternoon toa pic of the buns we are adopting.

Edit - The bunnies are both over a year in case that makes a difference.

I goes it all depends on what you might be able to find.

If they are over a year, I would go with a timothy based pellet. Thealfalfa based is more for younger rabbits (8 months and under) becauseof the protein, calories, etc. If they are over a year old, you couldfeed them a high fiber timothy hay pellet.

You could try seeing if there's a supplier that sells oxbow pelletsnear you? Here's the oxbow website and you can just put in your zipcode to find the nearest one to you :).

I use Martin's Little friendsLess Active RabbitPellets. It's timothy based, and it has been good so far. It's not thebest, but it's the only timothy based pellet I can find that my girlslike. Another good timothy based pellet is Kaytee Timothy Complete.

What darlings! Absolutely gorgeous :).

I notice you're from Texas but I don't knowwhere.....I buy Wendland's food at our local feed store. Its made herein Texas and he's all the time getting in a new shipment. There havebeen times I've got for my usual 7-8 50 lb bags for a 2 week period andhe's had to say, "I can give you 5 and you'll have to come backtomorrow for the rest". He gets in shipments every week.

A lot of folks buy their feed from Agway or Tractor Supply Store...

Peg

BunyBun wrote:
If not Purina, what might Iget locally that is a consistent, high quality food? I'm okaybuying some stuff online but I imagine buying heavier items likepellets might be expensive with shipping charges.

I don't know what they sell in Texas.....But ifit's the same as Washington, Butter has been on BunnyBasics/T from Oxbow his whole life and there's never anyproblem :)
(His breeder had her rabbits on that brand, too.....and she has over 200 rabbits! :shock: That's a ton of food..... )

I get mine at a local pet store too.The brand is called Sun Seed and they're called (which I think isreally cute) Sunthing Special. They pretty good as far as thefiber, protien, etc. There's a thread on here somewhere aboutthem that Pet_Bunny posted awhile back.My buns LOVEthem! Don't know if you can get it in your area, but I'msure you could get it online, but, as you mentioned, shipping could getya. They very reasonalbly priced, I pay about $5 for 6lbs.

Lately, though, I send my husband for it and he gets it out of aautofill thingy they have and it's just a little cheaper thanthat. He's been mixing just a little of the kind that has thetreats in it in the bottom of the bag (same brand), he likes to spoilthem. :shock:

I buy my rabbit's food from thefeedstore. I get four pounds for$1 or 8 pounds for$2. My rabbit came from a 4-H breeder and her rabbits atethose pellets plus veggies exclusively so I decided not to changeKahlua over to a different type since she is doing well on those andsince they make up a small part of her diet, the main portions beinghay and veggies. I also buy my hay from there. Igot a 90 pound bale of Bermuda grass hay for $9.50. Veggies Iget from grcoery stores, farmers markets, friends who work inagriculture, or my yard (we have rosemary and cilantro planted).

Latest posts

Back