Where did you get your rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to know where everyone's rabbits came from. So"

1) where did you get your rabbit
2) were there any challenges you blame on how you got your rabbit (like health issues from a pet store)?
3) If you were to get another rabbit, how would you do it?

And anything else you want to share.

I'll start:

I got Lulu as a rescue off craigslist. Her owner needed to "get rid of her". I would say that she was incredibly poorly socialized, but otherwise healthy. :) If I was to get another rabbit I would go to a rabbit specialty shelter like "save a bunny" or "the house rabbit society".

Me/Steve's Buns are all adoptions or rescues.

Wendy
1. Found as a stray by a friend of the family.
2. Main challenge has been not knowing her age; I would be hard pressed to convince my mom to let me spay a yearling. A bun of an indeterminite age was out of the question. And having an unspayed female has been hard.

Brindam
1. Was removed by me and a friend from a hoarder's barn.
2. Her medical issues were the biggest challenge. It took months to get her healthy and she nearly lost her eyes they were so infected. She also isn't terribly fond of humans from this whole experience.

Lucy
1. Was an adoption from someone who rescued her.
2. Challenges? None really. She's healthy, friendly, and fantastic.

Leon
1. Was a freebie adoption from CL
2. The main challenge is that it's going to be pricey to get him neutered. He's also not the friendliest rabbit. Not mean, but not "nice."

Thanator
1. Was found by me (actually the dog I was sitting) as a stray
2. Again, getting him neutered is going to be pricey.

The only thing I'd do different with any of them in the future is adopt an already spayed/neutered animal from a rescue or previous owner. Mainly because I lost a rabbit during a spay so it creates an undue ammount of anxiety for me, and it's really expensive to boot.

1) Smokies I got from an add in the paper, from some who had a litter.
2) She's pretty healthy

1) D.C. I got from a Mini Rex breeder
2) He's pretty healthy except for his head twitch

1) Snookium, my mom picked up from someone who put an flyer up at a dog grooming place. He was kept in his cage in the garage.
2) No health issues have arrived. He's the friendliest of the trio.

3) If I/We(sister) were to get another rabbit It would like be from the SPCA or if needed would take my friends bunnies.

Marlin (6 weeks at the time) was from a 4Her in Tempe, AZ. My only "complaint"/challenge was that he was supposed to be a girl, but ended up being a boy.

Brody (7 weeks at the time) was from a reputable breeder in Chino Valley, AZ. No challenges!

Morgan (6 months at the time) was adopted from Zooh Corner Rabbit Rescue in Southern California, but he was being fostered in Buckeye, AZ. No challenges!

Molly-Sophia (5-6 months at the time) was a Craigslist adoption - her teenage owner didn't have time for her once she went back to high school after summer vacation was over (she got her from a farm). Also no challenges with how/where I got her.

If I was to get another rabbit, then it would be another rehome from CL or another ad site, "word of mouth" rehome, local shelter, or I'd travel the 2 hours and adopt from a rabbit rescue. I do NOT see myself getting another permanent rabbit any time soon, though, that is for darn sure.

1) I got chewbacca from a pet store..I felt bad/thought she was too adorable. It was pretty bad conditions, but I don't think it counts as a "rescue"
2) She had no immediate problems besides poo in her fur, but developed a head tilt that eventually went away. We never got xrays, but it was thought by the vet it was due to maybe grabbing her in the wrong way and she "kinked" it. Other than that, no.

1)Pinball, from a breeder
2) He died for a seizure that looked to be genetic related (2 of his siblings had seizures too) and I blame the breeder.

1) Miss Kitty (No longer have) was a rescue from a craigslist posting
2) She was rescued with a large sore on her ear and was pretty urine soaked. But so far (She is now with my mother) nothing

1) Simba (No longer have, is with Miss Kitty) was a free bunny from a breeder (She wasn't selling and the breeder just wanted her to have a "good home")
2) Was given to me at 5 weeks (I didn't know) and had poop problems for the longest time. Is fine now.

1) Sheriff, from breeder
2) He has severe aggression issues, can't really blame the breeder, but other English Lops from her have also shown to be aggressive. Other than that, fine.

1) Kinobe, rescue. Someone drooped him off at my in-laws house with a note saying that they heard "james girlfriend" worked with rabbits, Easter mistake
2) None! Just pile of cuteness!

3) I look at rescues first, but they might not have anything I feel is right, or that I am connected to. I think adopting on Craigslist is the 2nd choice from a rescue, as most of them are in bad condtions or will go to bad conditions. Otherwise to a reputable breeder.

Korr: From a pet store. He is healthy and has had no issues in the 4.5 years I have had him. He is not the most social bunny, but not aggressive either.

Sophie: From the Humane Society. She was older (4 or 5) when I got her. She had some parasite when I got her and developed head tilt twice before being put down.

Penelope: Got from a Kijiji ad/breeder. She is healthy. She is moody and like to disapprove at everything.

Sean: Adopted form the Humane Society. I believe that he did have some dental problems which probably lead to his tear duct issues and possibly contributed to his death. I don't know if this was due to breeding or poor care before I go him.

Lillian: From a breeder. She is healthy and very people oriented. She is almost too needy and wanting of attention.

Ginny: Kijiji re-home. I haven't had any health issues with her. She is very skiddish and does not like to be handled.

For any future bunnies, it would really depend on where I am mentally at the time. If I were to find the right rabbits through a rescue, then I would go for that. If I can't find the right rabbits at a rescue, I would go to a breeder if I can find a good breeder.

2) were there any challenges you blame on how you got your rabbit (like health issues from a pet store)?

Domino
1) Got her from a friend when I was in 4-H.
2) Nope lol

Marley
1) A Breeder
2) Nope

Dolla
1) Adopted from a shelter
2) She was about 9 weeks when I adopted her and the people that brought her in had had her about a month. She has a sensitive stomach which I partly think is related to being taken away from mommy too early. She also was really matted and her hair still is evil. lol Otherwise with the shelter, no.

Louie
1) Adopted from the shelter
2) My Louis boy is amazing lol

3) I almost always will adopt unless I want a certain breed. Though I have seen certain breeds i really want in shelters around here so you never know!

I have to say I've been pretty lucky with my rabbits. *knocks on wood*

1) I got Sabrina from a breeder but mostly because I had no idea that there were rescues in my area, or that the SPCA even had rabbits...I was fairly uneducated when I went and put down my deposit. I did TONS of research in the week between my deposit and picking her up. I was pretty intent on getting a bunny I was going to get a bun that I saw in the Pet store a few days before I went to the breeders house but now, after reading so many horror stories, I am so happy that I didn't.

2) No problems that were directly related to where I got her from. She is pretty good about being handled (when needed) and she picked up right away on litter training and being free range *bites my tongue* *knocks on wood*. But I think that I truly lucked out with her.

3) Rescue/re-home all the way!

I got Storm from a shelter. He was a hurricane Ike bunny that his old owner left him by a dumpster. Storm had no health issues he is just very untrusting.

We adopted him Jan 7th 09

Jessi was a re-home from another family. She was originally a pet store buy that did not get along with her sister once they hit puberty. She is a great bunny she has hormonal issues. But a spay should fix that. She goes on friday.

I would not do it any different I saves a bun from a shelter and bun from possible going to a shelter.

Kat

It's interesting reading where everyone's bunnies originated from and any challenges you've had to work through.:)

Dunkin
  1. A friend rescued him from a shelter, I adopted him from her.
  2. No challenges at all! He is a very good boy.
Amber
  1. Adopted from local rabbit rescue.
  2. No challenges!
I will put Dewey in as well, even though he passed away last year.

Dewey
  1. From a supposedly "reputable" breeder.
  2. Always stayed very lean, too lean in my opinion. Could never get him to gain anymore weight. Was a challenge to get him to eat hay. He started having seizures for no apparent reason at very early age. Died in the ER at a vet office from a grand mal seizure that wouldn't stop. His little heart couldn't take it. Vet preformed CPR but he was gone. Suspected neurological disorder. He was a Blue Eyed White Lionhead, not even a year old.
Any future bunnies (very distant future, having a bonded pair is perfect, not too many - not too little) I will be adopting/rescuing. So either someone that is looking to re-home their bunny, shelter, or rabbit rescue. I'm just too aware now of how many great bunnies would love homes of their own through volunteer work.

1) Gus came from a neighbour who had been trying to rehome him on Craigslist.

2) When he came to us he had "poopy butt" and it took about 3 months before he got over it. Hehas bouts of gas from time to time, but otherwise seems super healthy. He was extremely skittish when we got him and, though he's madeheaps of progress,he still seems to have some trust issues.

3) I would like to adopt abondmate for Gusfrom a rescue or shelter. I'm not against buying rabbits from reputable breeders, nor againstadopting rabbits off Craiglist, but I think I'd have better success finding a girlfriend for Gusthrough a rescue.No matter what, though, I will not buy a rabbit (orANY pet!) from a pet shop.

Rue

Got Lola from a Mini Lop breeder here in Tacoma, she offered the pedigree for extra too, but I don't plan on breeding or competing with her (though her father was a nationtional competitor, so apparently she's got some good genes lol). No health problems, and she was 7-8 weeks when I got her. As playful and loveable as can be. :)

CINNAMON
1) from a auction - it had a segment where 'meat' rabbits were being auctioned to meatbuyers that I avoid because I know I can't save them but happened to see this one little basket no one was bidding on, so I quickly bid $3 and was handed a basket which contained a tinnnnny little brown bun in it.
2) no issues what-so-ever... lucky bun would have ended up someones dinner otherwise!

ROMEO
1) from the RSPCA
2) no issues at all and I can't believe anyone would turn in such a perfect little boy either!

3) Future buns will come from the RSPCA, AAPS bunny rescue or similar. There are sooooooooo many really wonderful buns there of all different types and personailities, the people are very rabbit savy, the buns are already s/n as well as vaxxed and microchipped etc.

1. Otto came from a breeder at 8 weeks of age. He's been great so far - no health problems or behavior problems.

2. Hannah came from a private owner who was just working too much to give her the time out of her cage that she needed. I've only had her a week, but she's great so far!

I'm ok with getting bunnies from either a reputable breeder or a rescue. I did go to a rescue for my second bun, but just happened to take home Hannah from her owner because the bunnies had a good interaction (she was the only non-shelter bun we looked at). I would probably get a single bun from a breeder or rescue, but always get a partner bun from a rescue so I could introduce them first.

Thumper

1) where did you get your rabbit- Pet shop
2) were there any challenges you blame on how you got your rabbit (like health issues from a pet store)? Nope, never any health problems

Princess

1) where did you get your rabbit- Pet shop
2) were there any challenges you blame on how you got your rabbit (like health issues from a pet store)? Nope, never any health problems

Misty

1)where did you get your rabbit? Breeder neighbour

Ebony

1) where did you get your rabbit? Born here

Rupert

1)where did you get your rabbit? Born here

If I were to get another rabbit, it would probably be from a pet shop again. There are no rescues with rabbits in my area, bar one 40 minutes away. As far as I know they have very strict adoption policies but I would definitely look into them next time I want a rabbit. There are very few good breeders in this country, and they are all a few hours away.

Belle- got from a craigs list add

Sooty- From the humane society

Charger- From someone on RO who had an oopppss litter

Benny- from a coworker of my hubby

Belle- no

Sooty- Hated being picked up and had Maloclussion. I feel that the Malo could have been something that could POSSIBLY been prevented or possibly not as bad had he had the proper diet from the begining, who knows really. The same with the hating being picked up, a possiblity

Charger-no

Benny- no

I would defintely get one from a rescue or humane society, or one that is going to be turned over to one of those facilities. I am big into rescue, so to me that is the way i would go. I would also go for a rabbit that is a little older and not a baby,lol

1) Benji was found in a box outside the vets I worked at. I fell in love with him, and took him home with me a week later (when he was better- he had been attacked and had to have an emergency neuter and a few stitches here and there).
2) Yes- he'd been attacked, and abandoned by his owners. Thank god he is not still with them, and with me forever.

1) Pippin I got from.....yes...Pets at Home. I know, I know- I don't advocate buying from pet stores either- it's just funding the whole awful process.
But I had fallen in love with him. He was tiny and skinny, and I thought- I need to save him. I forced myself to leave the store, thinking I was doing the right thing.
A few hours later I was hurtling back to the store, almost in tears because I just had to have him. I bought him, and thank god every day I went back, because he's brought me so much joy and I love him.

I am not going to get any more bunnies(not now anyway- I love having all my time and money for just my two). IF, I was going to get another, I would definately go to a rescue. :)

Solara
1) Michigan Humane Society in Westland
2) She's been wonderful, besides the occasional nip, chewing on her cage, and keeping me up all night (which I have fixed so far). But that's just Solara, not the humane society~ She's just got a very independent and feisty personality!

Sabriel
1) Micigan Humane Society in Westland
2) He's missing a claw/toe on his front left paw, but that's from his previous owner I think :)

3) I would get them from the same place, or from Huron Valley Humane Society in Ann Arbor :)

I'll start with the ones that weren't homebred;

Pepper; From a breeder in my area; No challenges, besides the fact that she throws white toenails. She is a ripe old 5 years old now.

Fou Fou; Breeder; Threw white toenails- undescended testicle

Marshal; Breeder; Best rabbit in the herd. One of the most social rabbits in the herd.

Tori; Breeder; No problems- I would say I'm 200% satisfied.

Cappy; Breeder; No problems. Perfectly healthy and great

Scooter; Breeder; No problems. He's healthy and happy.

Homebred rabbits-

All are healthy and happy. No problems aside from elton's few little issues.

I haven't had any bad experiences buying from a breeder. I'll continue to do so for breeding stock. After all, I can't get very far with rabbits from a shelter lol

Latest posts

Back